The Aether Mod is out-- thoughts?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
empath

The Aether Mod is out-- thoughts?

Post by empath »

Anyone playing it yet? Is it compatible with BTW?

Seems like it has a lot of cool concepts, including extra equipment slots, an enchanter that repairs and improves items and various dungeons and boss fights.

edit: should probably include a link to the mod, duh:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/495 ... -mod-v100/
Divine Insect

Re: The Aether Mod is out-- thoughts?

Post by Divine Insect »

I haven't tried installing it with BTW yet. My .jar is already morbidly obese with mods, including BTW. It looks like a beautiful mod, though. I really hope Rhodox adds texture support for this mod in the near future, as I love using Painterly.
xenoneo

Post by xenoneo »

I tried it out with only BTW and it loaded fine with the axe mod turned off in the textfile for btw.
The was one problem however and it's a big one.
You can't create a portal to the Aether with BTW installed; the water you use to activate the portal doesn't activate the portal.
You could probably activate the portal and then add BTW, but I haven't tried that yet.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

xenoneo wrote:I tried it out with only BTW and it loaded fine with the axe mod turned off in the textfile for btw.
The was one problem however and it's a big one.
You can't create a portal to the Aether with BTW installed; the water you use to activate the portal doesn't activate the portal.
You could probably activate the portal and then add BTW, but I haven't tried that yet.
Incorrect. I'm using it. You have to replace fd.class from BTW with the Shockahpi version, which will make the detector not work properly in some situations.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I've played through it a bit now, and to be honest, as the first release goes I'm not overly impressed.
The good
- It looks brilliant. Everything is well textured, and gives a light feel to the world. The mobs are well designed visually and add well to the ambience
- The tools and armour are great. While they are effective pallet swaps of normal materials, the extra 'abilities' added to them give them a sense of individuality but are balanced for the environment and various crafting recipes, in the end you think twice about bringing that full diamond set with you.
- The dungeons feel like dungeons. Instead of randomly placed cubiod rooms with masses of enemies guarding meh treasures, you get a large area to explore and an end boss. Everyone loves end bosses.
The bad
- A lack of compatibility with a lot of mods (namely the BTW 'Detector vs Portal' situation for me) causes some headaches
- The mod is incredibly end-game, and once there you have next to no reason to run back home unless you want your stocked up feathers. Combined with the compatibility problems you end up playing vMC for however long before you get to enjoy the mod, so you either dig a 1x2 shaft to get to the nether asap, or get bored with the same old vMC and give up.
- The bugs. I know it's only an early release, but so far the first released lacked the moa taming (a major part in the game) and they still despawn in the first patch. The spawn rates are not balanced, though massed cockatrices are better than those damned snowball things, and some of the dungeons are still impossible to complete due to the way they generate.

The total impact it had on my vannilla world is that I now have a creeper racing track using speed soil, and a giant trampoline shooting range for pigs. yay.

I do like the infinite glowstone thing with the portals. Now I'd have even less reason to go to the nether >.>
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Looks pretty cool, although i havnt had a chance to play it since i dont want my BTW files messed up. I do like all the new content added to the game, maybe not to permanently use, but to play around with for a little bit. And on a side note, remember when we had to move forums to stop epic trollings, Aether has about 10 times more then that, no joke i refreshed the page after about a minute and 10 new comments popped up
gumbyscout

Post by gumbyscout »

I kinda like it, but I like BTW more. It's nice to have more places to go, but not at the expense of not being able to use many mods(stupid shockAhPI :(). Plus, those floating snowball things that must be modified ghasts, are just as annoying even though they don't do damage or make much noise. I'd probably have it installed if I could set what parts of it i wanted; I don't need a convoluted accessory system unless it's vMC.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

My personal opinion on the Aether is that it will be a whole lot of fun to play with and explore for a bit, but that it won't hold nearly as much interest after a while. I am amazed at all the different features and content added by the Aether (there is a LOT, and all very cool looking so far), but I think it simply doesn't hold nearly as much long-term enjoyment potential as BTW does with its tech-tree and increasingly more challenging progression.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

all i can see with the Aether is a shit ton of problems when the new 1.8 comes out so i will be quietly hiding in the corner untill this November ('offical' release date of vMC)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Oofnish

Post by Oofnish »

Apart from excavating two enormous floating islands and getting exactly 0 gravitite, (and other spawning issues apparently) I generally like it. Exploring in a floating world is a different experience and is nice for something different.

So far, my absolute favorite aspects are the cloud blocks. My world generated a lot of tall cliffs and overhangs, (FLOATY was the seed, btw) so I'm having fun putting in cloud pads and blue jump pads to get up and down in a quick and fun fashion.

I'm finding the Aether 'dungeons' difficult. Probably because I've only found just enough diamond to make a single pick, and the Zanzinite armor is basically purple paper.

(Gravitite, gravitite, wherefor art thou, Gravitite...)