Off-Topic Hell (Was: An Important Announcement)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: An Important Announcement

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:you're not altering anything that will break peoples pre-existing mechanical systems, therefore, you're intending to keep everything current working as it is, or at least not change it in a way that would break things. that implies that what you're making is NOT a modification to anything we already have, and therefore most likely, completely new :P
(probably obvious, but it's narrowed down our potential guesses by removing modifications to existing things )
Well, that's really not a clue as much as a statement on my general operating procedure. You may have noticed that I avoid breaking people's stuff like the plague, and when I do feel that I have to for whatever reason, it genuinely upsets me. I've invested an insane amount of time in my main world, so I have a great deal of empathy towards other players in terms of how upsetting it can be to have their in-game creations suddenly stop working.

My modus operandi is to make additions to the game, not change or break what's already there, and that usually includes vanilla systems as well (to the point where I'm probably more cautious about it than Mojang is).
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:you're not altering anything that will break peoples pre-existing mechanical systems, therefore, you're intending to keep everything current working as it is, or at least not change it in a way that would break things. that implies that what you're making is NOT a modification to anything we already have, and therefore most likely, completely new :P
(probably obvious, but it's narrowed down our potential guesses by removing modifications to existing things )
Well, that's really not a clue as much as a statement on my general operating procedure. You may have noticed that I avoid breaking people's stuff like the plague, and when I do feel that I have to for whatever reason, it genuinely upsets me. I've invested an insane amount of time in my main world, so I have a great deal of empathy towards other players in terms of how upsetting it can be to have their in-game creations suddenly stop working.

My modus operandi is to make additions to the game, not change or break what's already there, and that usually includes vanilla systems as well (to the point where I'm probably more cautious about it than Mojang is).
oh, I know, but it's nice to confirm that even though this is going to be a HUGE patch, and therefore the one where people would be most likely to forgive you for breaking worlds, you're still not planning to break peoples worlds. to me, that pretty much rules out any new parts of tech progression not in the new age :P (although, I tend to overthink things, so I'm probably looking too far into it :P)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:oh, I know, but it's nice to confirm that even though this is going to be a HUGE patch, and therefore the one where people would be most likely to forgive you for breaking worlds, you're still not planning to break peoples worlds. to me, that pretty much rules out any new parts of tech progression not in the new age :P (although, I tend to overthink things, so I'm probably looking too far into it :P)
Nah, that's not something I ever plan on doing.

To use the oft-repeated example of steam power, if I were to do something like that, and wanted to include finite energy as a concept (which would make sense given what I was saying before about introducing concepts and gameplay systems incrementally), what I would likely do is make it a completely different system where the high-speeds and power involved with steam power just wouldn't be compatible with the wood-based mechanical systems already in the mod. In other words, it would be a completely separate system and form of energy than that involved with Wind Mills and Water Wheels that would power a whole new set of devices.

Who ever really heard of a steam-powered millstone anyways? A steam engine powering wooden devices would look just plain weird and not make a whole lot of sense. I think one big mistake that people have often made when discussing that kind of thing is assuming that I had to stick to one big general purpose system for mechanical power and that I couldn't break things up into different levels of technology that weren't compatible with each other.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:oh, I know, but it's nice to confirm that even though this is going to be a HUGE patch, and therefore the one where people would be most likely to forgive you for breaking worlds, you're still not planning to break peoples worlds. to me, that pretty much rules out any new parts of tech progression not in the new age :P (although, I tend to overthink things, so I'm probably looking too far into it :P)
Nah, that's not something I ever plan on doing.

To use the oft-repeated example of steam power, if I were to do something like that, and wanted to include finite energy as a concept (which would make sense given what I was saying before about introducing concepts and gameplay systems incrementally), what I would likely do is make it a completely different system where the high-speeds and power involved with steam power just wouldn't be compatible with the wood-based mechanical systems already in the mod. In other words, it would be a completely separate system and form of energy than that involved with Wind Mills and Water Wheels that would power a whole new set of devices.

Who ever really heard of a steam-powered millstone anyways? A steam engine powering wooden devices would look just plain weird and not make a whole lot of sense. I think one big mistake that people have often made when discussing that kind of thing is assuming that I had to stick to one big general purpose system for mechanical power and that I couldn't break things up into different levels of technology that weren't compatible with each other.
I assumed if you implemented steam, it'd be seperate, however, I could see the bellows having some use, maybe in making stoked fire to create steam? :P
(if that's the case, I'd guess that it would have to be pretty low pressure steam, maybe it would be like the handcrank was to the AoW? (ie. only enough presure to operate 1 thing at a time))

by the way, if it turns out this superproject isn't steam, you've done a VERY good job of hiding your intentions, I would have let something slip at some point now :P

edit: also: it's not just wooden machines being only mechanically incompatible, I live on the coast of NW england, and so it's nearly always wet/damp/rainy/submerged depending on exactly where you're currently standing, and believe me, water + wood = ALL of the rot :P
Last edited by Calcifire3691 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calcifire3691 wrote:by the way, if it turns out this superproject isn't steam, you've done a VERY good job of hiding your intentions, I would have let something slip at some point now :P
That's what I do :)

It's come up before that I'm a fairly serious poker player man. I'm rather adept at disguising my intentions, even when I'm openly discussing them ;)
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Calcifire3691 wrote:by the way, if it turns out this superproject isn't steam, you've done a VERY good job of hiding your intentions, I would have let something slip at some point now :P
That's what I do :)

It's come up before that I'm a fairly serious poker player man. I'm rather adept at disguising my intentions ;)
gimp masks are cheating :P

speaking of the gimp suit, if this is steam, I hope the "joke armor" this time is a victorian lady/gentleman outfit :P (complete with tophat and monocle lens of course)

ooh, it could be the gimp suit for villagers :D

edit: and since I'm now starting to babble about victorian gentlemen being gimps, it probably means I should get some sleep before I start saying the REALLY insane stuff :P
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Could it really be steam? I imagine steam would run in conflict with BTB, or is BTB (and by extension Buildcraft) not considered "official" BTW tech tree?
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Folrig wrote:I imagine steam would run in conflict with BTB
Really? Why?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I think it would bridge the technological gap between the 2 mods. BC has always seemed to feel a bit ahead of BTW.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

But steam engine is clearly although ahead of the current BTW tech tree (IMO), so it would only reduce the gap between BC and BTW.
Anyway, I don't thing FC will take any consideration of BC for his own development "schedule", as BTW is meant to be played alone.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

Gormador wrote:But steam engine is clearly although ahead of the current BTW tech tree (IMO), so it would only reduce the gap between BC and BTW.
Anyway, I don't thing FC will take any consideration of BC for his own development "schedule", as BTW is meant to be played alone.
if FC were to implement steam as a finite power system, he'd most likely change the BC steam engines to be powered by the steam system instead of fuel values, much like how he made the wood engines powered by mechanical power instead of redstone (I'm assuming he'd leave the combustion engine alone, considering it's the "main" engine of BC.
and if the age of electricty came after that (maybe using steam to power a turbine or something?) we'd be only one step behind BC (specifically, complex circuitry).

it's actually prety interesting to think how the technology can be incorporated so well, of course, I guess that's FC's planning for you :P
(and considering how recent BTB is, I'd assume he'd have plans to intergrate it nicely with the new age)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Gilberreke wrote:
Folrig wrote:I imagine steam would run in conflict with BTB
Really? Why?
Well, steam engines already exist in BTB. And generally when I think steam I think engine...is my imagination just lacking or something? I'm going to go look up steam and it's uses on Wikipedia now.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
mr_spoonylegs

Post by mr_spoonylegs »

YES!!!! your putting in AI for a Tina Turna model of a wolf my dreams have come true!
"My friends call me Spoonlegs"
And yes, I drew it myself.
TheAbyss90

Post by TheAbyss90 »

I really need to lurk around the forums more. All the posts refering to this topic and me going "WTH is everyone talking about?" then finally noticing this topic and the classic wh.. WHAT?! after reading the bad news.. FC you glorious bastard. Rarely NOT keeping people on their toes. Not like I have to say this but keep doing that kind of stuff. Never a boring moment.

Good luck with your new badass features God of my minecraft world :)
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

He is going to add.... A COLANDER! *BAM BAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM*
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

daveboy2000 wrote:He is going to add.... A COLANDER! *BAM BAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM*
Yes, of course he is. We all know this. Why'd you even post that, its isn't like there's some big secret feature.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

daveboy2000 wrote:He is going to add.... A COLANDER! *BAM BAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM*
What an odd way of spelling Wicker...
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

Well, just like the gimp-suit actually, nobody ever heard of pastafarism?
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Wait, Flowerchild's changing the dragon to be the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

No, he's moving the mod past the event-horizon of a black hole. We'll all become subject to spagettification.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

aaaaand we need to get back on topic before someone pisses off FC and he brings out the ban-hammer
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Will the update of Minecraft cause a delay on the arrival of the anniversary release?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Husbag3 wrote:Will the update of Minecraft cause a delay on the arrival of the anniversary release?
Probably not, no. He was kinda expecting updates to minecraft to happen; in some cases, hoping for them.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

That would be the 4096 block ID limit activation I presume? It sure would be nice but I doubt we'll run out before they add it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote:That would be the 4096 block ID limit activation I presume? It sure would be nice but I doubt we'll run out before they add it.
Sigh...the topic of how the block ID limit relates to BTW has been done to death. Look it up elsewhere.