BraidedRazors a BTW Dwarf Fortress Succession game!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rasuth

Re: BraidedRazors a BTW Dwarf Fortress Succession game!

Post by Rasuth »

Since we are embarking on the volcano, count me in.

Also, take your time to get well first.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Granite

After an arduous trek across these lands we have finally arrived at out destination, and we the The Glove of Bulbs here by now claim this lot of earth as Braidedrazors. You see our glorious leader "though considerably naive" has tasked us to embark on this terrifying Volcano The Perplexing Flame. With me are 6 Dwarfs of varying skills and abilities, I the leader of this group have gained the nickname Kregoth, allow me to introduce myself.
Kregoth
Show
Lucky for me I haven't clumsily left the damn personality report behind, with that allow me to introduce my members of The Glove of Bulbs. Some of our members seem odd but they where chosen to lead with me into whatever future may hold for us, so I trust them.
Spoiler
Show
Noodlerex
Show
Ben Dover
Show
Katalliaan
Show
jorgebonafe
Show
Iostone1993
Show
BinoAI
Show
I begin to check the surrounding area observing noticeable landmarks to try and determine the best starting point to begin our first strike of the earth. I am beginning to understand the meaning behind the name given to this volcano, it is very perplexing that the land at its base is rather flat and plain, while the volcano it self is rather small, it is emanating an evil and dangerous feeling. Whatever thoughts I mull over is pointless as I am tasked to be here because of the rich amount of iron. but I still can't shake the feeling of evil I get every time I look onto the cliff sides of our land.

It's only after digging this much out of the mountain side that the evil here is made more apparent then I expectedImage
I do not know what this "sludge" is capable of, but not wishing to find out I quickly set up some restrictions along side the area. I decided it would be best to confine exactly just how far out we should be able to walk along, a burrow of sorts to confine our group from wandering into this revolting red thick rain.

It seems the weather today is already showing it ugly head, it seems that this volcano is capable of it's own pattern of weather, It actually raining normally along side the flat forest here yet still thick sludge smashes into the mountain of it's own accord.

I am glad to have set up this defined burrow for our dwarfs, you see it seems one of our cats decided to see what was culminating along side the mountain, I was horrified at the site of the animal and can not guess as to how much pain the poor thing is in.
Spoiler
Show
UPDATE: Well this is about as much as I can get done ATM no sooner did I get to this point I was called to take on a small project today, I should be back a bit later and fill a hole crap load more game play and updates into it. I figured even just a little bit of a tease towards the first week of the month was worthy sense my absence and being sick. Hope the writing is to your liking "I'm not very good IMHO" :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Why do I feel like I'm going to have tons of fun on my turn?
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Gdnite wrote:Why do I feel like I'm going to have tons of fun on my turn?
Perhaps because you are?

Sounds like a pretty good start (for a hell-on-earth location anyway).
No fun yet, except for the cat, but I also have a feeling this could get bad (sludge could give goblins a surprise though!).
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

It should have just said the whole cat is blistered....
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I feel a necessary action is needed to keep all our animals in good health, much like our dwarven members I felt the need to create a pasture of sorts to keep all our livestock and future pets safe. I designated an area just in front of our entrance to keep them safe from the foul weather that befalls the mountain sides.

It should be more then enough to keep them safe from whatever ailments might befall them if they try to wander to far.

I began ordering the two dwarven miners to carve out an area for us to start holding our workshops and stockpiles needed for getting our steel industry up and running, although we are missing one less anvil needed for another smelter "We haven't found any natural fuel, so we needed to resort to creating coal from tree's that are currently being cut down, we need a wood burner to create it" or so that what Iostone1993 our furnace operator has told me.

Although the process is progressing slow it is vital we get an area such as this designated for ourselves. Once all this is taken care of I plan to designate another area to be used as a farm, our farmer BinoAI tells me that we must wash the floor with water from above to create a proper irrigated land to grow our life sustaining crops.

Poor jorgebonafe she seems to have somehow come in contact with the revolting sludge plaguing the mountain side and is now covered in blisters, she is also claiming it has caused her quiet the dizzy spell. Without a proper doctor we have no way of ascertaining how these ailments could effect our body chemistry.
less then a week and Armok curses me, I have fallen victim to the same ailment as jorgebonafe, at least I am not alone in this unfortunate affair it seems even Ben Dover our miner has been effected as well. It seems even with the burrow restrictions in place we are being accursed by the foul mountain weather. I only hope that these effects placed on our body are only temporary these blisters are causing such dizziness in us, I fear the aftermath of pealing such grotesque things from my body. Luckily the dizziness seems only temporary or at least short in successions, but these blisters continue to be a sore sight.

In order to further imply the importance of not getting hit by the sludge, I have set restricted area to the mountain side or at least most of it. I am hoping this will further the importance to the rest of the crew to not haphazardly walk on the cursed volcanic mountain.

SLATE

The weather has cleared finally, but I have no idea what other kinds of evil lurk beyond our grasp of this terrifying volcano we call home. Time seems to fluctuate past rather quick, me and the rest of the crews blisters have all disappeared as well as our afflicted dizziness from them.

The stockpile room and it's assigned areas for workshops are nearly finished and I start to get the workshops that are needed built. once those are finished I can start working on the farm and getting beds, doors, and some barrels made for booze. it would be ncie to be able to sleep on something other then the ground for once.

Here is the layout for our soon to be dining hall and surrounding bedrooms. I have decided it would be best to leave small notches along the edge of the dining hall to allow statues and memorials to be placed in the hopes that it will bring happiness to our dwarves when dining.

The farming area is finished and the plots laid about, sadly the plots at the east side of the area didn't get the water needed I will leave those 3 crops to someone else to maintain we have more then enough to handle all our growing needs as is.

EDIT: More coming soon I promise but I didn't want to keep you all waiting I am already half way through Felsite (3rd month) and am in the process of writing it up as I type this :)
Last edited by kregoth on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

kregoth wrote:...our farmer BinoAI...
Yay, a dwarf is named after me :3
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Bah looks like I will have to continue tomorrow I am already partially through summer I think tomorrow I will just post as much as I can! I can't get the rest finished tonight sorry about this :(
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Thank you for laying the workshops and bed rooms all nice and neat, i was worried i would have to be all ocd about it haha
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

may i ask how did you flood the farm and then remove it ?, I always seem to fail at that, I have trouble getting rid of the water
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I see your screens of your layouts and I look at mine.....so much better....almost wish I was playing long enouigh to have been able to take part in this.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

kregoth wrote:Poor jorgebonafe she seems to have somehow come in contact with the revolting sludge plaguing the mountain side and is now covered in blisters, she is also claiming it has caused her quiet the dizzy spell.

She?
... Ok, I guess.... :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

lostone1993 wrote:may i ask how did you flood the farm and then remove it ?, I always seem to fail at that, I have trouble getting rid of the water
Water evaporates if it is only 1/7 deep. So if you flood a small murky pool into a big room it should all spread out to 1 deep, and then evaporate. Another option is to channel a ditch in one corner for extra water to drain into.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Looks like I wont be able to update till later tonight, my niece was dumped on me today and been babysitting her for the past 2 hours... arg one thing after another and I really want to continue getting this year finished. sorry for the delay :(
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Guys sorry to say but count me out for now, I have lots of school.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

obl1terat1ion wrote:Guys sorry to say but count me out for now, I have lots of school.
NP I will just move you to the bottom of the confirmed list for now.

Also apologies again ended up babysitting all day for my niece, and then having to put together a bed for my sister which tool most the day do to an oddly shaped bed frame that didn't like her bed set. Tomorrow if all goes well I should have plenty of free time and get this damn year all finished, I am to tired tonight I like have full working mind set when playing DF lol :).
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

What version are we using again in this game? Just went to download and realised I couldn’t remember
Might be an idea to update the op with this information
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

lostone1993 wrote:What version are we using again in this game? Just went to download and realised I couldn’t remember
I guess I could do that just before I head off to bed, I'll update the OP with the version which is 34.05 as well as posting links to Therapist and Phoebus which is the most up to date tileset i know of :)
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

kregoth wrote:
lostone1993 wrote:What version are we using again in this game? Just went to download and realised I couldn’t remember
I guess I could do that just before I head off to bed, I'll update the OP with the version which is 34.05 as well as posting links to Therapist and Phoebus which is the most up to date tileset i know of :)
thanks
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Just want to throw out there that lazy newb is upgraded
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

For the rest of spring nothing to exciting happen thankful. Once summer hit I decided it would be a good idea to start getting an area ready to house some lava for our magma forges. I decided that it would be best to fill the area under the east side of the workshops rooms with the last two having a channel dug down underneath to allow the heat to raise up into the forges.

Once the area is fully dug out and I release the lava I will quickly close the floodgate until the the workshops are in place, that way I don't have to worry about the pressure building up and out of the channeled open space. once that is in place it will be only a matter of time until we can forge iron.

I decided it was a good idea to set up and area near the still and farmers workshops with a stockpile room so that the materials and plants they need are close by and to get it out of our temporary stockpile in the fort. I also decided to remove the order to smooth out the dining hall for now, it was distracting our miner far to much and I considered it not important for now.

I figured it would be a good idea to promote myself to bookkeeper and broker until someone better comes along, I consider myself the best for this job compared to the rest of our dwarfs... although I tend to loose focus at times. I decided to build two rooms to be designated as offices once they are dug out. I also decided to expand the entrance to our fortress behind our large staircase, perhaps we can find some ores that contain our precious iron there. I also plan to use the large area dug out to contain and stockpile all the various goods we plan to trade to caravans.

23rd of Malachite The mournful day

It's truly a sad day! Only just in the middle of summer it seems our fortress has had it's first death. I am sad to announced this but our Miner/mechanic has died to unseen circumstances. You see I had finally got the area for the lava to be housed for our forge and smelter finished, all that was left was to dig out the final piece, the wall that held the lava back. I knew it was risky to send a miner down there to do the job, but there was no other way it had to be done... Sadly I had no idea how fast lava could move and how slow a dwarf compares to it.
As one of our founding members I have decided that it would be best to erect a memorial in our grand dining hall as the first statue to be housed there, he shall not be forgotten. The brave dwarf will go down in history as the only dwarf brave enough to dig into a volcano.
Spoiler
Show
I couldn't believe how fast it was, in the past I have never worried about a dwarf digging into areas like these... sadly though the lava is far faster in the new version. Unfortunately there really is no other way to get a magma forge up. I guess if I had the lava go down a much longer 1 tile wide path before going into a large area it would have worked out better.
oh well as a sign of good fate Noodlerex would you like one of the new dwarfs? or I can give you first dibs on the first miner to migrate to Braidedrazors.
It seems just after the death of our brave dwarf two new ones have arrived, a small wave sadly, but small is better then none.
New Dwarfs
Show

It seems we can't rest for to long, I hate Kobolds they are sneaky and like to steal our stuff, luckily we scared him off before he was able to take anything. Damn creatures are a nuisance sadly having our only mechanic die means traps are going to be produced slow... I guess one of the new members could be told to make them however he can. We need to set up some sort of defense to the front, So I decided to order that our three war dogs be pastured in the entrance to hopefully stop anymore intrusions from those ugly beasts.

I ordered some digging along the northern portion of the mountain to get some of the Malachite protruding from the wall. It seems Autumn has started, the weather may start to become more sporadic as winter begins to approach. We also had one of our Cats give birth to some Kittens, how precious more vermin hunters!

kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Automn

For the first month of this season of wilting the only truly exciting thing that happened was the magma smelter and forge are up and running and fully operational. The lava below has come in and filled in the area that took the life of our very own Noodlerex. Bless be his sacrafice for we are now able to smelt the hematite we acquired. He would be proud!

on the 21st of Sandstone we got more Migrants 5 in total giving our fortress a total of 13 hard working dwarfs. sadly the idiots decided to try and take a quick root through the raining sludge of evil. Oh well a few weeks of blisters is a good way to harden a dwarf.

I have added them to our roster noting any worth while skills and added there thoughts and preferences into the roster sheet, It seems we have a new miner, though not as talented as Noodlerex was before his death. None the less having an extra hand to help Ben Dover is a good thing.
Spoiler
Show
The Miner

Crossbow-making

It half way through the last month of Autumn and we are being visited by an outpost liaison to trade some goods with. Sadly though as you perhaps come to expect of them, they are trudging through that nasty sludge covered mountain side. Checking our stock it seemed our stone crafts dwarf was not properly given orders to continue making the crafts he was to busy hauling crap and cutting gems to do the job properly, I shall learn to mitigate workflow orders. Sadly it seems we only have 3 cut gems and a single scepter to trade with. Although much is not needed in terms of item necessity.

Winter has now approached, I fear how the sludge will react to this freezing weather. As I was updating the stock reports the dwarfs where able to make around 15 more rock crafts. Now I just need to get to the Depot to trade the goods we need. I approached the trade Depot and had a little chat with our dwarven liaison I decided to grab another iron anvil some extra ale, beer, and wine to add some variety to our booze, and 4 pieces of clear cut glass which should prove useful as a window or some really sharp bladed traps. Lucky for me the items we had for trade where just enough for them to accept happily.

As the discussion went on the liaison asked me if there where any items of which they should put priority on to bring back next time, I simple waved my hand and said "We need nothing of importance now perhaps next year we will." after that they informed me of the list of priorities for what they would like produced for there next visit as well.

After the departure of the caravan I went back to see the progress of the iron we have procured thus far, 31 bars have been made and 10 peices of charcoal, now all that is needed it to gather this so called Flux stone I been getting yelled at to go look for... I figured it was time to start digging deeper.

We hadn't quiet found any flux yet but we did discover something rather sinister under ground a large cavern, I think I am going to have to order some to seal off that cavern until we can get a proper force together to explore it. None the less I shall dig past it in the hopes of finding this so called flux.

Just as winter is only days away from ending another damned Kobold reared it's ugly face, Luckily having our dogs stationed in the only entrance did wonders. Without histation the War dog jumped forth and grabbed the Kobold by the head, not even a chance to retaliate it began to be shaken viciously until it could no longer hold out from pain. The dog didn't even get a scratch so quick with the dwarven ways this one is.... almost feel sorry for the Kobold..... ahh who am I kidding the little bastard deserved it. Just moments after that another one shows up and it meets the same fate, shaken around inside a dog mouth, seems like the best possible death for a kobold to me hahaha!
Spoiler
Show
I really don't think it is worth while to post this, it wasn't even noteworthy just the dog instantly killed them both rather easily. This is one report but both are pretty much exactly the same.. Latch on, Shake, DEATH! lol
Bleed to death after that :)
Winter is over and I feel that there is no longer a need to update this diary, I feel that telling these dwarfs what the hell to do, how to do it, and why the hell to do it has run it's course. I rather enjoyed my time as a temporary overseer here although seeing a member of the fortress die so quickly here was not something I had planned... I shall leave some notes here for our next overseer so that he can continue on from where I left off and as can also understand what does what.

I was given a note by the liaison before leaving, reading it seems to cause me to scratch my head in confusing, What trickery is this? what could it possibly mean? A single sentence breathes across the page "Remember Loosing is FUN!" whatever could this mean I can't make heads or tails of such a message. None the less I shall leave it for the next leader for our glorious group.
Notes
Show
1st of all I have not built any traps, walls, or fortification to the entrance... I rather see someone else develope the grand entrence for Braidedrazors. I rather enjoy doing very little like this for the first year because it more fun to leave it open to the players after me when hosting these succession games.

2rd We need more beds and bedrooms, Right now the bedrooms that are finished are being smoothed. once all of them are smoother maybe engrave the dining hall and add some statues :)

4th My dwarf is currently doing High precision bookkeeping for the fort, if a trade caravan approach just change it to low or she might ignore it trying to track all the goods they brought in... in fact if a migrant comes in with better negotiation then Kregoth have that dwarf take Broker and leave me with leader/Bookkeeping

5th There is only 1 lever built and its in the Dining Hall "Has a Note on it you can see it by using <N>", it really doesn't need to be touched unless you plan on expanded that lava into something Fun! for the most part you could happily remove the lever so the flood gate can't be opened by some tantruming dwarf. Although anything that can swim through lava and can destroy buildings will find that flood gate, luckily there nothing for it to fly through to get up inside the fortress :)

Last thing to make note of your going to need to do some exploratory mining to find all the lovely Flux, and Iron ores. They seems to be pretty well scattered with the only ones I found on the north side of the mountains base.

I will also be sending PMs to every person who's turn it is. I will also ask that you must have [SEASONAL] Saving and Autobackup set to [YES] in your d_init.txt file for safety reason so you don't loose progress in case of a crash or corruption
Here is the SAVE Have Fun!
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

Ive got an idea of what to do with with that magama, but everyone should agree on it first since if it fails or success's it results in lots of fun :) call it a self destruct protocole
a magma cannon
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... gma_Cannon
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

You know what, I feel like an asshole for doing this, but I can't play on the succession... I did want to, but with college and MC I just don't have time to learn a complex game like this....
I sorry for any problems this may cause the succession game...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

I took the liberty to explore the save a bit. (Mainly to familiarize myself with the fortress.) There is some limonite in the "round valley" in the southwest quarter of the map. As we are near a volcano, maybe we can find some marble to use as flux.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect