TTWTTTTT BTW Thread

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

Do you use TTWTTTTT?

select this if you do
55%
don't use this, I'm not looking for a ratio
45%

Total votes: 11
RaustBlackDragon

Re: TTWTTTTT

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

darkpollopesca wrote:make the furnace a 2 piece crafting part. a top and a buttom, i like you old days reference but in the old days u didnt need moss to smelt iron
Indeed, I've decided on the OLD old days method of setting the material on fire to smelt it. This only works for cobblestone though.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
The great randomo

Re: TTWTTTTT (First test release out!)

Post by The great randomo »

i like all of it except for the fact that the hammer takes 6 iron blocks to craft. i feel that is a bit much to ask.
edit: also, diamond armour is still craftable without the hammer
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I might actually use this. I think it's pretty neat, and it's definitely well-executed. I like the idea of cobble->smoothstone in direct lava + water.
IGN: Camerinthus
RaustBlackDragon

The great randomo wrote:i like all of it except for the fact that the hammer takes 6 iron blocks to craft. i feel that is a bit much to ask.
Yeah, I caught that problem just now. As for the hammer, I seem to remember regularly getting full stacks of iron ore on my mining expeditions, so I figured it would be balanced. I'll see how it works in practice, then possibly change it.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
The great randomo wrote:i like all of it except for the fact that the hammer takes 6 iron blocks to craft. i feel that is a bit much to ask.
Yeah, I caught that problem just now. As for the hammer, I seem to remember regularly getting full stacks of iron ore on my mining expeditions, so I figured it would be balanced. I'll see how it works in practice, then possibly change it.
Maybe if it's too expensive, use two iron blocks for the 'head' and iron ingots for the rest of the shape. Or four iron blocks for each end and two ingots for the middle? You could use many combos to slim down the cost of iron, or not.
RaustBlackDragon

Re: TTWTTTTT (Second test release out, added a recipe oversi

Pseudosavior wrote: Maybe if it's too expensive, use two iron blocks for the 'head' and iron ingots for the rest of the shape. Or four iron blocks for each end and two ingots for the middle? You could use many combos to slim down the cost of iron, or not.
Good idea. However, I think I'll try the current one out first, see how it compares to the other phases of the tech tree in length.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: Yeah, I caught that problem just now. As for the hammer, I seem to remember regularly getting full stacks of iron ore on my mining expeditions, so I figured it would be balanced. I'll see how it works in practice, then possibly change it.
I think you have to find a balance between pure gameplay mechanic balance (the amount of resources consumed based on the "power" of the tool) and suspension of disbelief though man.

Some of your recipes, and the hammer one in particular, raise a sense of incredulity where it just feels ridiculous that it requires so much to make such a small tool.

To put it another way, it's like you're the wizard of Oz, pulling the player's strings from behind the scenes, but you know that if they get a look behind the curtain and realize you're there, the whole jig is up.

Some of those recipes kinda scream "here I am behind the scenes forcing you to do this for game balance!".

That, and of course the inevitable disappointment when your fans realize none of this has anything to do with gynecology...
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote: Yeah, I caught that problem just now. As for the hammer, I seem to remember regularly getting full stacks of iron ore on my mining expeditions, so I figured it would be balanced. I'll see how it works in practice, then possibly change it.
I think you have to find a balance between pure gameplay mechanic balance (the amount of resources consumed based on the "power" of the tool) and suspension of disbelief though man.

Some of your recipes, and the hammer one in particular, raise a sense of incredulity where it just feels ridiculous that it requires so much to make such a small tool.

To put it another way, it's like you're the wizard of Oz, pulling the player's strings from behind the scenes, but you know that if they get a look behind the curtain and realize you're there, the whole jig is up.

Some of those recipes kinda scream "here I am behind the scenes forcing you to do this for game balance!".

That, and of course the inevitable disappointment when your fans realize none of this has anything to do with gynecology...

That makes sense, but I feel game balance still has priority, even if it's not as extreme as my recipes would indicate.

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:That makes sense, but I feel game balance still has priority, even if it's not as extreme as my recipes would indicate.

Hmmm...the only thing I can think of off-hand is to do something similar to what I did with the Anvil. Make working with a particular material dependent on creating a work-space made out of the material itself. That way, the additional cost is at least devoted to something that has a physical volume that might justify the increased cost.

You could even have a number of recipes that play into that. Maybe to create an iron workbench requires an iron hammer, chisel, and tongs. Recipes like that are very quick to create and would also contribute to the gynecological undercurrents in the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

FlowerChild wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:That makes sense, but I feel game balance still has priority, even if it's not as extreme as my recipes would indicate.

Hmmm...the only thing I can think of off-hand is to do something similar to what I did with the Anvil. Make working with a particular material dependent on creating a work-space made out of the material itself. That way, the additional cost is at least devoted to something that has a physical volume that might justify the increased cost.

You could even have a number of recipes that play into that. Maybe to create an iron workbench requires an iron hammer, chisel, and tongs. Recipes like that are very quick to create and would also contribute to the gynecological undercurrents in the mod.
...Wow... You're STILL running with that joke, are you?

Well the issue with making separate workbenches would be that it would undermine the convenience of recipebook, which would be a pain, and I'd have to make another recipebook fix mod.

I'll think about it. Thanks for your input.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: ...Wow... You're STILL running with that joke, are you?
Repetition is a corner-stone of humor ;)

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Well the issue with making separate workbenches would be that it would undermine the convenience of recipebook, which would be a pain, and I'd have to make another recipebook fix mod.

I'll think about it. Thanks for your input.
Fair enough. I don't use recipe book myself, so I've never been particularly concerned with its operation.
RaustBlackDragon

Alright, I've posted the thread for this on the minecraft forums! Here's hoping it does well!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Looks like a good mod here's to hoping it go's well
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
ziggylol

Post by ziggylol »

Hey, do u want me to take screen shots for the recipes?
RaustBlackDragon

That would be really useful! Thanks!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
ziggylol

Post by ziggylol »

Done the pics, uploading now :)
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
their they are :)
RaustBlackDragon

Thanks! Added to the MCF OP!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
ziggylol

Post by ziggylol »

Np, glad to help

EDIT;

Are you going to make something to do with BTW hemp? like bindings or something? to improve ur weapons?
Last edited by ziggylol on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

You may want to show the trowel and spear as a 2x2 recipe, since they are the only tools you can craft before you get a crafting bench.
RaustBlackDragon

gftweek wrote:You may want to show the trowel and spear as a 2x2 recipe, since they are the only tools you can craft before you get a crafting bench.
Thanks for the tip! I just added notes in the OP on MCF that they're shapeless.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

ziggylol wrote:Np, glad to help

EDIT;

Are you going to make something to do with BTW hemp? like bindings or something? to improve ur weapons?
I'd rather not directly fuse it into BTW, making it mandatory. It works quite well alongside BTW, I think that's enough :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I just realized I made the trowel have the stone texture, yet it's made out of wood :p
:)
RaustBlackDragon

BinoAl wrote:I just realized I made the trowel have the stone texture, yet it's made out of wood :p
:)
Excellent! Thanks for that, I'll be sure to add that to the next release!
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
ziggylol

Post by ziggylol »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:

EDIT;

I'd rather not directly fuse it into BTW, making it mandatory. It works quite well alongside BTW, I think that's enough :)
okay :)

EDIT:

I just noticed.. i got the work bench within 20 seconds..(which means i can totaly skip the towel and the spear) maybe you should add something else to the recipe?
RaustBlackDragon

ziggylol wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:

EDIT;

okay :)

EDIT:

I just noticed.. i got the work bench within 20 seconds..(which means i can totaly skip the towel and the spear) maybe you should add something else to the recipe?
You got lucky with a seed. It happens :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?