The Outpost, a BTW Playthrough Journal

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
excius

Re: The Outpost, a BTW Playthrough Journal

Post by excius »

Damn already at the last post! I want to keep reading this....

Keep up the good work!
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

morvelaira wrote:
whynocheese wrote:Really like this Journal Morv good job! It would be awesome though possibly tedious if Kwilt could do the voice for Cave Johnson for all the Guide Book parts.
We'll see if he's interested. KWilt?
I'd be honored. Seriously, it'd give me something that doesn't require me to be obliged to do an extremely choppy Scottish accent for (which my readings of Boatmurdered most definitely do, because every dwarf is Scottish by natural law of my mind). And since I'm still waiting for SDK to (hopefully) update his mods for use in my own project, I don't have anything else preoccupying me.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Kwilt wrote:
morvelaira wrote:
whynocheese wrote:Really like this Journal Morv good job! It would be awesome though possibly tedious if Kwilt could do the voice for Cave Johnson for all the Guide Book parts.
We'll see if he's interested. KWilt?
I'd be honored. Seriously, it'd give me something that doesn't require me to be obliged to do an extremely choppy Scottish accent for (which my readings of Boatmurdered most definitely do, because every dwarf is Scottish by natural law of my mind). And since I'm still waiting for SDK to (hopefully) update his mods for use in my own project, I don't have anything else preoccupying me.
Dwarves are scottish, giants are nordic and elves are ambiguously elven, gender-wise. It's just the way things are.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Spoiler
Show
I know it's been a while guys, but there was reason. Had some computer fixes to make, some downtime after installing BTB, and then wheat just wouldn't grow. But here it is. Gonna do my best to keep the update pace up here. Thanks so much for your support so far. :)
I wonder if I didn’t make my greenhouse open enough. It seemed like the plants were taking forever to grow. To keep myself busy I focused on the underground caverns I stumbled across - taking the resources and digging the softer earth about to search for more. That strategy met with a surprising amount of success, but there was still a lot of useless digging going on. Maybe there’s some better method the book will tell me about later.

After three... maybe four days, I went up to check on the plants again. Finally! I had wheat!
Spoiler
Show
I harvested it quickly in my haste, only getting a little bit. I was just wondering how I was going to eat the seeds and grains of such a plant when I swear I heard the book in my pocket click open.

You’re hungry, aren’t ya? No, no, no! Get the grains out of your mouth! That isn’t how you eat it!

I smiled at the book... I guess it wasn’t sentient after all. I’d found some good mushrooms about the caverns while I worked, so I had whipped up a little bit of stew to keep me going. The book didn’t know about it, so it couldn’t read minds. It’s sort of weird to be so relieved about something like that.

I know I said this’d be the path to food, but I never said it was gonna be easy, now did I? There’s a lot more work to do. First you’re gonna have to grind the wheat up into flour and before that, you’re gonna have to make something to mill it up in. Gears. A hand crank. Somethin’ like that.

A millstone? I can feel my arm turn into jell-o already....
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I knew there was a good reason for staying up till 7am.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

now you have BTB installed are you going to work it into the story or just keep to BTW.
Story is good reading, looking ford to more chapters in the epic quest for the mining corporation.
This would make a good audio book me thinks :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

BigShinyToys wrote:now you have BTB installed are you going to work it into the story or just keep to BTW.
Yeah, I'll probably work BTB in since I have it installed - it even fits the eventual plotline I want to bring together better. (Thank you so much for that timing FC! It was so perfect it was beautiful!)
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Fracture wrote: Dwarves are scottish, giants are nordic and elves are ambiguously elven, gender-wise. It's just the way things are.
Dwarves can be Irish although admittedly it is rare.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

morvelaira wrote: Yeah, I'll probably work BTB in since I have it installed - it even fits the eventual plotline I want to bring together better. (Thank you so much for that timing FC! It was so perfect it was beautiful!)
Just know this, you would be the first one to write anything up about it. No pressure or anything ;)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Think of it this way: You're pioneering. For SCIENCE. And mining. But mostly science.

So if you get yourself killed, we can always write it off as a control group and simply work you into our controlled reanimation experiments.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Kwilt wrote:Think of it this way: You're pioneering. For SCIENCE. And mining. But mostly science.

So if you get yourself killed, we can always write it off as a control group and simply work you into our controlled reanimation experiments.
And we'll just keep testing and testing until you die. After that? I suppose I'll take up a hobby. Bringing back the dead, perhaps.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Yeah, I was right. My arm feels like Jell-o. But as I sit here, munching on some delicious, fresh baked bread, it suddenly doesn't matter anymore. Well, it /matters/, but I don't quite care as much. Who needs strange alchemical substances when you have fresh bread?

And then there's the click. Let's see what Mr. Book has to say...

See, I told you slaughtering animals en masse would be easier. Damn kids these days don't know what goes into all the conveniences they enjoy....

Anyway, you wanna make this easier on yourself? Make it so you can chuck that hand crank into your mineshaft and never see it again? You're going to need something to do the work for ya. Now, I recommend the wind, but I'm not going to tell you how to make that happen. You got to figure that out on your own. Consider it your first test, eh?

The wind... In order to have the wind supply power, something has to catch it. To be moved by it. Fabric would work well, but even as mud-stained as my clothes have become, I'm not going to run around naked just to grind wheat. Maybe, though, that other plant I found. It has grown to some impressive height, and looks pretty fiberous. I'll see what I can do with that.
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by morvelaira on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
excius

Post by excius »

Been waiting for the story to continue.... it's like reading a book that you can' t put away!
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Very well written, as always.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

excius wrote:Been waiting for the story to continue.... it's like reading a book that you can' t put away!
More like a book that opens and closes itself whenever it wants. Wait a minute...

*still enjoying*
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

… Add all, carry the three, divide by the circumference...

Well, a windmill will work, if my calculations are correct, but it's going to be BIG. I had figured as much off the bat, but I know it's true now. The only drawback in this plan so far is that it's going to take the plant – I think it's hemp – a long time to grow. So I've started on trying to make a housing for the windmill once I finally have enough fibers to put together this contraption.

There was a nice, flat section on the other side of the ravine as I went exploring about. A good place for a tower of some kind, really. I guess I could walk around the ravine when I need to go there, but making a bridge across seemed the safer option to me.
Spoiler
Show
That being in place, a little stairwell up to the top wasn't all that difficult to make, as well as a good foundation.
Spoiler
Show
I think this tower will do. I'll know better once I get that windmill together.
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage