More bookshelves = higher MINIMUM enchantment too

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
RaustBlackDragon

More bookshelves = higher MINIMUM enchantment too

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I'm sick and tired of mindlessly clicking to get my level 50 enchantment. When you start messing around with the enchantment base classes, do you think you could make more bookshelves increase the minimum level enchantment you can find, as well as the maximum?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Mr_Hosed

Re: More bookshelves = higher MINIMUM enchantment too

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Perhaps it would be best to key off of how many skill points a person has at the moment and attempt to always provide that skill level as an option (or as close as is possible with the currently active bookshelves)?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'll support this. It'd encourage a player to setup a variable enchantment room (pistons/BD moving bookshelves in and out of range) since with steel tools you don't always want to be going for the highest possible level anyway.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

So basically, high no. of bookshelves = higher chance of a high lvl enchantment? I'd like that as well. I once spent 6hrs enchanting ALL my tools with lvl 50 enchanments.
(I once saw a mod on the MCForums for something like that, dont know what became of it...)
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Oh god yes.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

an alternate idea would be to give each grade of item it's own minimum lvl of enchantments that it can hold, but either way something must be done. 15-20 mins to find a lvl 47-50 enchant is just ridiculous.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Thalmane wrote:an alternate idea would be to give each grade of item it's own minimum lvl of enchantments that it can hold
I dunno, there's a lot to be said for steel tools with ~6 levels of enchantment. Amazing for digging out huge caves. Plus, the bookcases would provide reason to alter the room with pistons/what have you which is always a nice thing to encourage.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

I'd love to see this in-game, I spent ten minutes trying to get lvl 45 the other day :@
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Stormweaver wrote:Plus, the bookcases would provide reason to alter the room with pistons/what have you which is always a nice thing to encourage.
I absolutely like this idea. Fits the mod quite well imo.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

This idea, IMHO, should already be in vMC and that is how I thought it worked when first reading about it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:This idea, IMHO, should already be in vMC and that is how I thought it worked when first reading about it.
Yeah, that's my feeling on it too. I am thinking that Jeb will likely take a second pass at the enchanting system to work out these kinds of kinks in the near future, given that they were probably pretty rushed in getting all this stuff in for release.

I'll take a look at the code, and if this is an easy change that I can pull off without additional base-class mods, then I'll see what I can do. I don't want to invest too much work into it though, as I suspect it will wind up being a temporary feature.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I took a look at this and rearranged things to make it MUCH easier to get the kind of enchantments you want. The way I did it doesn't follow the suggestion, but I think everyone will be happy with the method I selected.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

can't wait to see it!
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:can't wait to see it!
I might put out a minor release later today so that people don't have to spend Christmas day click-festing to get the enchantments they want ;)

I've basically almost completely removed clicking from the equation to allow players to get the level they want immediately except in the oddest of cases. No idea why Notch thought repeatedly clicking to generate random numbers was in any way a fun mechanic. I can only see that appealing to people that like to play slots :)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

FlowerChild wrote:-snip- I can only see that appealing to people that like to play slots :)
That would explain why minecon was in Las vagas ;)