BTW Pure Mods

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Chuffy

Re: BTW Pure Mods

Post by Chuffy »

Gilberreke wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:Oh, that mod, now I do not see a reason why it doesnt fit in with the mod, it just adds a few blocks that makes things look good, perhaps Gil mixed the two up as I did?
No, I didn't. Timber framing adds nothing to BTW, it's just another aesthetic mod. It's a fun one and a good one, but unless you can show me how it synergizes with BTW, I don't see the point of including it in a thread with mods that go well with BTW.

Ok I get you now, personally I like putting my minecraft solely in the hands of FC, the only way I see of improving is by using mods that are in the area he seems to hate ie making things look pretty :D Thats how I see a mod being pure to BTW although I do realise im bringing absolutely nothing to this thread now I realise what the thread is about !
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Railcraft and Harvestcraft will. As mentioned before though, I'm thinking of scrapping Harvestcraft from the list anyway.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

True, it does not add much, but it does not take anything away either, so I understand what you mean now.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

walker_boh_65 wrote:True, it does not add much, but it does not take anything away either, so I understand what you mean now.
I wholly support aesthetic mods like Timber Frames and utility mods like Recipe Book and TMI. They aren't part of the philosophy of this thread, however. Maybe a new thread with utility mods or one with purely non-disruptive aesthetic mods can be made too?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

BtW dropping forge does not automatically mean no other mod will ever work with it though. Chances are forge mods will not, but small contained mods could very well do. And I agree with Gil, we could start another thread for mainly aesthetic mods that we feel could mesh well (and work) with BtW
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:BtW dropping forge does not automatically mean no other mod will ever work with it though. Chances are forge mods will not, but small contained mods could very well do. And I agree with Gil, we could start another thread for mainly aesthetic mods that we feel could mesh well (and work) with BtW
I can answer that right now: BTW will not be compatible with ANY Forge mod, regardless how big, since it becomes incompatible with the Forge API itself. It will become more compatible with every non-Forge mod though.
Ruinous

Post by Ruinous »

I gotta say, the incompatibility with forge isnt going to bother me one bit, so apart from the delay and added drama, I'm not losing from the experience.

On Topic: I've been playing around with Better Ore Distribution again, and I cannot for the life of me find coal whatever settings I put into the config file. Coal isnt strictly necessary, but its lack can be abit irritating. Just warning you guys in case you have the same problems with it.
Dr Ug

Post by Dr Ug »

You need to change this setting in the config file for BOD:

16VerticalDensity for coal (and i assume for all ores) must be <95 due to a rounding error in the code (MarcoPolo has this on his OP), but is set to 100 by default. Once you set it below 95 you'll get coal.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Gilberreke wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:BtW dropping forge does not automatically mean no other mod will ever work with it though. Chances are forge mods will not, but small contained mods could very well do. And I agree with Gil, we could start another thread for mainly aesthetic mods that we feel could mesh well (and work) with BtW
I can answer that right now: BTW will not be compatible with ANY Forge mod, regardless how big, since it becomes incompatible with the Forge API itself. It will become more compatible with every non-Forge mod though.
Didn't we just say exactly the same thing? :p
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Tropiccraft
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/533 ... cal-realm/
It just got updated to 1.0.0, and it's a great mod.
I'm not sure if it's compatible with BTW yet, but I'll test it and let you know.
Quality comes before quantity.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Didn't we just say exactly the same thing? :p
Well, you used a bit more vague terms. I know you know how it works, but I put some absolutes in there to make sure everyone else was on the same page :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Honestly, I think that Harvestcraft was an excellent supplement with BTW. It added a lot of life to the world, even if you didn't go on an all out farming spree. Kinda disappointed I'll be losing compatibility with that one after the Forge shakedown. Oh well. A decent one, if it ever gets updated again, I used to run BTW alongside Nandonalt's beekeeping mod and other mods. The honey was eh, but the functionality I got from the wax was excellent, chandeliers were useful and aesthetic additions that didn't detract from the vanilla feeling. A few of Nandonalt's other mods were excellent as well (mainly the dairy, chocolate and coral reef mods), though they didn't quite add the same level adventure and excitement that BTW and the beekeeping threw in. If you are still compiling this list, and Nandonalt ever does update (still in 1.7.3, though being updated, with permission, by another modder), this would be a nice candidate.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

You know, BOD is actually pretty neat. (I figure posting here is better than making a new thread)

I didn't really get it at first, since I didn't see how a vein would cause you to make a new base there, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I also didn't really know how a person could locate these veins by anything other than traditional branch mining.

My first excursion with a new world and two stone picks yielded nothing but cobble.

My second, mining down at level 13 as normal in a straight line, yielded 20 coal in a small vein.
I was kind of wondering what was up at this point, since that coal vein seemed really small compared to what I kept hearing about. I was halfway expecting a 40 block line tunnel of Iron, just very rarely occurring.

My third trip involved four stone picks, continuing down that straight line.
Holy crap.
I found a vein of gold I couldn't touch yet, given no iron, but I walked out with a stack of coal, a stack of torches even after lining the halls, and *584* lapis.

I think I understand why people like this mod now.

Edit: I poked out two more blocks in my tunnel and hit a cavern with an enormous Lapis vein in it (1,330 Lapis). I will never need the blue gemstone again.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, that does sound like interesting gameplay. Just need to device a decent way to prospect for ores.

I wonder if I can have the vanilla ore distribution, just in very small quantities, with larger veins of one kind spaced out.

As for HarvestCraft, it's still your best farming mod for now, but I'd like to see some different stuff. Pam announced some cool new features to me, but with the non-Forge BTW, that's of no use to us :/
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Robilar wrote:You know, BOD is actually pretty neat. (I figure posting here is better than making a new thread)

I didn't really get it at first, since I didn't see how a vein would cause you to make a new base there, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I also didn't really know how a person could locate these veins by anything other than traditional branch mining.

My first excursion with a new world and two stone picks yielded nothing but cobble.

My second, mining down at level 13 as normal in a straight line, yielded 20 coal in a small vein.
I was kind of wondering what was up at this point, since that coal vein seemed really small compared to what I kept hearing about. I was halfway expecting a 40 block line tunnel of Iron, just very rarely occurring.

My third trip involved four stone picks, continuing down that straight line.
Holy crap.
I found a vein of gold I couldn't touch yet, given no iron, but I walked out with a stack of coal, a stack of torches even after lining the halls, and *584* lapis.

I think I understand why people like this mod now.

Edit: I poked out two more blocks in my tunnel and hit a cavern with an enormous Lapis vein in it (1,330 Lapis). I will never need the blue gemstone again.
I tried it last night, I haven't gotten to bedrock yet, was just trying my chances with cave crawling. It's actually quite disconcerting travelling through so many caves and looking into ravines and seeing no ores at all. The only ores I've seen near ground level so far have been lapis. I did find a cave that lead to a blended coal/iron deposit though, so I'll be set for a while for those. Up to my 3rd spawner as well, although all zombies.

I too am wondering how to locate veins for other ores though, I need to check the default settings then just try branch mining at an appropriate level I guess, I'll need diamonds to try out enchanting. I'm still wondering about setting up the mining camps though as suggested, as I'm not sure how to decide where to look to know where to build them.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

gftweek wrote: I tried it last night, I haven't gotten to bedrock yet, was just trying my chances with cave crawling. It's actually quite disconcerting travelling through so many caves and looking into ravines and seeing no ores at all. The only ores I've seen near ground level so far have been lapis. I did find a cave that lead to a blended coal/iron deposit though, so I'll be set for a while for those. Up to my 3rd spawner as well, although all zombies.

I too am wondering how to locate veins for other ores though, I need to check the default settings then just try branch mining at an appropriate level I guess, I'll need diamonds to try out enchanting. I'm still wondering about setting up the mining camps though as suggested, as I'm not sure how to decide where to look to know where to build them.
Sadly right now the only way to find them is spelunking through caves or long tedious branch mining unless you have something like industrial craft with the ore scanner. I think it would be cool if we could take soil samples or something and then take them back to our base to analyze them.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

So far, I've been digging in a straight line and I've found everything except diamond, and I have four stacks of lapis blocks and a stack of iron blocks. I found a little bit of gold and a little redstone, but not all that much, barely larger than normal deposits.

As for setting up a mining base, that stack of Iron blocks came from one vein, which also yielded more than a stack of lapis blocks and at least 600 coal. If I'd have had the Iron prior, I'd have set up a base there and some minecart tracks to send stuff back while I was mining.

If anyone digs into the config and figures out which level I should be stabbing at for Diamond, give me a heads up, since I could use some for a Nether portal and an enchanting table. (Forcing myself to use HCB mode except for a water tower I'm building at the top of the mountain I'm on, as well as maybe another on the nearby mountain range; using "BAD LAVA")
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

It'll probably become easier when you get to the point of making a lot of mining charges on btw, and then digging huge tunnels with that.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Robilar wrote:So far, I've been digging in a straight line and I've found everything except diamond, and I have four stacks of lapis blocks and a stack of iron blocks. I found a little bit of gold and a little redstone, but not all that much, barely larger than normal deposits.

As for setting up a mining base, that stack of Iron blocks came from one vein, which also yielded more than a stack of lapis blocks and at least 600 coal. If I'd have had the Iron prior, I'd have set up a base there and some minecart tracks to send stuff back while I was mining.

If anyone digs into the config and figures out which level I should be stabbing at for Diamond, give me a heads up, since I could use some for a Nether portal and an enchanting table. (Forcing myself to use HCB mode except for a water tower I'm building at the top of the mountain I'm on, as well as maybe another on the nearby mountain range; using "BAD LAVA")
If you found some gold and redstone did you try digging around where you found them? The veins can be 'sparse' where they have alot of stone inter mixed with the veins.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, that does sound like interesting gameplay. Just need to device a decent way to prospect for ores.

I wonder if I can have the vanilla ore distribution, just in very small quantities, with larger veins of one kind spaced out.

As for HarvestCraft, it's still your best farming mod for now, but I'd like to see some different stuff. Pam announced some cool new features to me, but with the non-Forge BTW, that's of no use to us :/
The most recent addition to BOD allows a small amount of vanilla ores to spawn about 1/6-8 chunks generates normal ore deposits, which is another good place to set up a mining camp and/or get started with the BTW tech tree.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Sarudak wrote:If you found some gold and redstone did you try digging around where you found them? The veins can be 'sparse' where they have alot of stone inter mixed with the veins.
I did dig around a little around the redstone, maybe two to three blocks in all directions, but I didn't tear the whole place apart. I imagine I could go give it another shot, but I don't particularly need either yet; Though the gold would be nice for some tracks.

How far apart can they be? I'd love to have one of those chests of redstone I keep hearing about.

<dakka dakka>
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Pretty far apart. I don't know exactly cause mine was in caves but there were many veins in about a 4 chunk area of redstone and gold and iron and coal. I kinda hit the motherlode on my first game.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Just to reign this back in, this isn't a thread about BOD, it's one about 'good mixers' with BTW.

In other news :o omg! BTW just updated 5 mins ago! *downloads*
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

AngelWithDirtyHands wrote:Just to reign this back in, this isn't a thread about BOD, it's one about 'good mixers' with BTW.

In other news :o omg! BTW just updated 5 mins ago! *downloads*
It's not about "good mixers", it's about "pure mods", which is even further.

Good mixers just work fine with BTW and play nice;
Pure mods are mods that don't change anything about the balance.

For example, BuildCraft is a good mixer, BOD is pure
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Ah I see what you mean... I had my wires crossed for definitions of 'good mixer' and 'pure mod' :p

This thread should get more interesting now that the new version is out... (or as soon as that pesky cauldron issue is fixed, anyway)
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.