Replace bricks with something else as hopper filler

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
pi4t

Replace bricks with something else as hopper filler

Post by pi4t »

Back when we used clay to fill up hoppers' inventories, there was a reason given for them not being ejected ('they stick to the sides'). But when pottery became a more important part of the mod, and clay was needed more in automation, FC changed it so that still useless bricks took the place of clay balls in the hopper. This is all very well and good from a gameplay perspective, no information is given as to why it happens. I was wondering if there could be a change to something that makes more sense from a realism perspective, and still is virtually useless except as decoration.

Although I know that you don't like recipes to be suggested, FC, given the counterintuitiveness of using bricks it may have been chosen as 'there isn't anything better'. I'd just like to point out, in case this is the case (not saying it is, or trying to put words in your mouth here) then vines would reasonably tangle up, and be unable to get out. They're also basically useless, on top of only being harvestable with the block dispenser (which removes any possibility of direct link to hoppers anyway). Of course, you may have had some other reason for choosing bricks, or avoiding vines, in which case I'd love to hear it!
SPACEDUDE360000

Re: Replace bricks with something else as hopper filler

Post by SPACEDUDE360000 »

Bricks get stuck because they are too bulky? Is that good enough? FC has said that he would rather have gameplay over realism and vines do work pretty much just as well but I'm not sure it would be worth him changing. All it would really do is make the people who are already using bricks to switch to vines.
Why do something if you can get someone else to do it for you?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

How about the slots are bricked up, so nothing can get into them, and (imaginary) cement holds the bricks in place?

I don't think vines need a use any more than leaves, lily pads, iron bars or stone bricks, these are all decorative and are fine as is.

By the way vines are harvestable with shears.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

I know, I meant in terms of automated production. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'd just watched Battosay's video and so had the automated method in my mind. I've been thinking about this idea for nearly a week now, though, Battosay just reminded me (indirectly) to post it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I dunno man, I think it's fairly intuitive. Bricks are "dead weight", and people are used to thinking of them as such in RL. If anything, I think vines would be less intuitive as a result. Given that they are a resource which can be farmed, it would also preclude the possibility of collecting the output in a Hopper if I used them as filler. That's not particularly important at present, but if I decide to use them for something in the future, it could be. Bricks on the other hand can only be made manually, have no use in automated production, and thus are a perfect filler as they are an entirely useless intermediate item that probably shouldn't even be in the game to begin with.

If I decide to have other kind of blocks with inventories rely on fillers, I think they also make a great general-purpose item for that use. Don't want to use a slot? Stick a brick in it. Perfect.

Regardless, I think it's a very minor point not worth spending much time considering.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

FlowerChild wrote:I dunno man, I think it's fairly intuitive. Bricks are "dead weight", and people are used to thinking of them as such in RL. If anything, I think vines would be less intuitive as a result. Given that they are a resource which can be farmed, it would also preclude the possibility of collecting the output in a Hopper if I used them as filler. That's not particularly important at present, but if I decide to use them for something in the future, it could be. Bricks on the other hand can only be made manually, have no use in automated production, and thus are a perfect filler as they are an entirely useless intermediate item that probably shouldn't even be in the game to begin with.
I guess I was just thinking that something capable of spitting out solid cubic metre blocks of stone wouldn't be blocked by a few bricks. Good to hear your reasoning behind it, though.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

FlowerChild wrote:I dunno man, I think it's fairly intuitive. Bricks are "dead weight", and people are used to thinking of them as such in RL. If anything, I think vines would be less intuitive as a result. Given that they are a resource which can be farmed, it would also preclude the possibility of collecting the output in a Hopper if I used them as filler. That's not particularly important at present, but if I decide to use them for something in the future, it could be. Bricks on the other hand can only be made manually, have no use in automated production, and thus are a perfect filler as they are an entirely useless intermediate item that probably shouldn't even be in the game to begin with.

If I decide to have other kind of blocks with inventories rely on fillers, I think they also make a great general-purpose item for that use. Don't want to use a slot? Stick a brick in it. Perfect.

Regardless, I think it's a very minor point not worth spending much time considering.
A new item called a divider Would not use up a Block Id be quick to implement and Be used exclusively to partition out hoppers/ Block Dispensers . And for the low low cost of a item id. This could make future mas production of brick possible.Not that I know how that would be usefull.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BigShinyToys wrote: A new item called a divider Would not use up a Block Id be quick to implement and Be used exclusively to partition out hoppers/ Block Dispensers . And for the low low cost of a item id. This could make future mas production of brick possible.Not that I know how that would be usefull.
FlowerChild wrote:Regardless, I think it's a very minor point not worth spending much time considering.
This is a non-issue man.