Your coolest redstone device?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
darahalian

Re: Your coolest redstone device?

Post by darahalian »

I've made a redstone device that outputs only a quick pulse, regardless of the duration of the input. It kind of does the opposite of what an RS NOR does, as it lets a lever act sort of like a button, instead of making a button act sort of like a lever.
This device is a key part in things like my auto cobble factory (inspired by/copied from things I've seen in these forums) and systems with a piston pushing a block out of the way of a DB.
Here's a picture. Should save me 1000 words.
Spoiler
Show
So what happens here is that when you turn on the lever, power goes immediately to the output (lightblock, in this case) but at the same time, goes through a NOT gate and the delay of a repeater to a block dispenser, which sucks up a piece of redstone, breaking the path from the input to the output. So the lightblock is only powered for a moment before the circuit is broken by power from the same input that lit it in the first place.

The way I used this in my cobble factory was to give a quick pulse to the BD that had just gotten dispensed from the one above it. If you place a BD next to an existing power source, it doesn't actually turn on, (bug?) so it can't turn off and suck anything in when the power source is removed. Because of this, I needed to have a pulse power it on and off quickly right after it was placed, since having the power on already when it was placed didn't work, as I said.

The need for a quick pulse should be obvious for the second situation I mentioned. If the DB is hooked directly to the piston, then after the piston pushes the block that was in front of the DB away, the piston doesn't retract, since the DB is now seeing the extended piston head. If you hook this system up to the device so that the DB is the input and the piston is the output, then when a block is placed in front of a DB, the piston extends and retracts quickly, and so it doesn't keep the DB triggered like before.

Edit: Playing around with it, I found that the repeater is not needed, as the the delay of the NOT gate is sufficient.
Last edited by darahalian on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Fracture wrote:
Grateful42 wrote:Hmm indeed, stacking and gates. I do believe I'm going to make a 9+ input and gate now, thanks for the ideas guys :D
-SNIP-

@Big: Yeah, forgot about the formatting haha. And yeah, I don't do much work with the more basic gates so I hadn't given it much thought.

Edit: Fail formatting, don't care enough to fix. You get the point.
Hear is a pic of the 9 input Device.
Spoiler
Show
And to get back on topic hear is my Best gate i have ever designed it is a 3 input 2 output shared AND gate . have you ever wanted to make a device where two AND gates share an input . then this is the gate for you.
Spoiler
Show
This Gate replaces the following design
Note Bigger AND gates with reperters in them are a Bit Buggy.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

darahalian wrote:I've made a redstone device that outputs only a quick pulse, regardless of the duration of the input. It kind of does the opposite of what an RS NOR does, as it lets a lever act sort of like a button, instead of making a button act sort of like a lever.
This device is a key part in things like my auto cobble factory (inspired by/copied from things I've seen in these forums) and systems with a piston pushing a block out of the way of a DB.
Here's a picture. Should save me 1000 words.
Spoiler
Show
So what happens here is that when you turn on the lever, power goes immediately to the output (lightblock, in this case) but at the same time, goes through a NOT gate and the delay of a repeater to a block dispenser, which sucks up a piece of redstone, breaking the path from the input to the output. So the lightblock is only powered for a moment before the circuit is broken by power from the same input that lit it in the first place.

The way I used this in my cobble factory was to give a quick pulse to the BD that had just gotten dispensed from the one above it. If you place a BD next to an existing power source, it doesn't actually turn on, (bug?) so it can't turn off and suck anything in when the power source is removed. Because of this, I needed to have a pulse power it on and off quickly right after it was placed, since having the power on already when it was placed didn't work, as I said.

The need for a quick pulse should be obvious for the second situation I mentioned. If the DB is hooked directly to the piston, then after the piston pushes the block that was in front of the DB away, the piston doesn't retract, since the DB is now seeing the extended piston head. If you hook this system up to the device so that the DB is the input and the piston is the output, then when a block is placed in front of a DB, the piston extends and retracts quickly, and so it doesn't keep the DB triggered like before.
I made a variation of a system like that earlier for a guy who was having trouble with his piston-harvested growth-triggered hemp farm. I used a sticky piston and a solid (conductive) block instead though, as I find pistons to be more reliable. I just prefer them to BD methods, for some reason.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Grateful42

Post by Grateful42 »

BigShinyToys wrote: Also you dont need to stack gates i can make you a 9 input gate in like 10 secs.
Actually, I do, my xnor gates are staggered in two rows on top of each other.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Fracture wrote: I made a variation of a system like that earlier for a guy who was having trouble with his piston-harvested growth-triggered hemp farm. I used a sticky piston and a solid (conductive) block instead though, as I find pistons to be more reliable. I just prefer them to BD methods, for some reason.
Oh, yeah, I see how that would work. It's kind of crazy. Pistons have been able to take over for block dispensers in a lot of situations.
Last edited by darahalian on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Grateful42

Post by Grateful42 »

Here we go!
Spoiler
Show
This is my new multy-input and gate bank, cleared up allot of space being taken up by the duel input and gates. The cool thing here, is that each level can out put to the top of the one below, making a very nice chain of output stacking.

If you want to take a look at this device Here is my world file for it :D
Grateful42's button pad security lock
zombie109235

Post by zombie109235 »

Edit: lol, just derped no question here
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

The next project that I've got planned should be more grunt work than really complicated (I think), but I've got a lookout tower at the top of my castle, and I've been thinking about replacing the glass walls of the top with light blocks, and then setting up a minecart track with detector rails that will send ...---... signals to the lightblocks. Even though it's just a SSP map, it would be a neat distress signal that I can send to noone in particular that will be activated by levers placed around the compound.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

darahalian wrote:
Fracture wrote: I made a variation of a system like that earlier for a guy who was having trouble with his piston-harvested growth-triggered hemp farm. I used a sticky piston and a solid (conductive) block instead though, as I find pistons to be more reliable. I just prefer them to BD methods, for some reason.
Oh, yeah, I see how that would work. It's kind of crazy. Pistons have been able to take over for block dispensers in a lot of situations.
Monostable circuits are so much easier with a sticky piston now than a BD. I have so many stacks of slimeballs, but not all the much Moss Stone so I've grown to like pistons a lot more than I used to.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Speltz wrote:The next project that I've got planned should be more grunt work than really complicated (I think), but I've got a lookout tower at the top of my castle, and I've been thinking about replacing the glass walls of the top with light blocks, and then setting up a minecart track with detector rails that will send ...---... signals to the lightblocks. Even though it's just a SSP map, it would be a neat distress signal that I can send to noone in particular that will be activated by levers placed around the compound.
Thats a good idea ^.^ although how will you have the minecart keep it's speed going around? a booster track would interrupt the lights
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

BinoAl wrote:
Speltz wrote:The next project that I've got planned should be more grunt work than really complicated (I think), but I've got a lookout tower at the top of my castle, and I've been thinking about replacing the glass walls of the top with light blocks, and then setting up a minecart track with detector rails that will send ...---... signals to the lightblocks. Even though it's just a SSP map, it would be a neat distress signal that I can send to noone in particular that will be activated by levers placed around the compound.
Thats a good idea ^.^ although how will you have the minecart keep it's speed going around? a booster track would interrupt the lights
Just have tiers instead of a straight line track? Pretty sure that'd work. That or multiple carts on different levels.
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

BinoAl wrote: Thats a good idea ^.^ although how will you have the minecart keep it's speed going around? a booster track would interrupt the lights
I'm about to work up a small-scale test to see if I can get reliable output, but I was thinking that the booster rails would be permanently powered by RS torches placed underneath them, as well as being fairly spread out horizontally from the detector rails (say in the corners of the square track). I'll use a storage cart so there's a bit more momentum and less boost needed. So 2 opposing sides of the square would be laid out for 3x 1 second intermittent signals, 1 side would be for 3x 2 second signals (pairs of detector rails), and the last side would be for the start/stop launching system (which, when powered by the levers, will serve as a pause between the ...---... sets).

As far as I know (which admittedly is not far at all), it works in theory, but we'll see with the small scale.

EDIT:
Alright, so I set up a square track with enough booster rails to keep the cart at (close to) top speed the entire time, and three detector rails on one side for a ... series. I have one lightbulb in the centre of the track which will display the output of the entire circuit for now, and everything seems to be going nicely.
HAHA! Success! But I'm definitely going to have to dig out a much larger track area. The one ... side is 27 blocks long.
EDIT: Scrap all that. Going to use Detector Blocks rather than Detector Rails so that I can get shorter pulses, and should really cut down on all the rail.