sorting items

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
rosstafan

sorting items

Post by rosstafan »

is it possible to sort arrows from bones

and if so can you post how (preferably with pic)
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
walker_boh_65

Re: sorting items

Post by walker_boh_65 »

not possible, they are to close in size and shape to be sorted with any filter
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The only possible solution is to use a dispenser : it'll shoot arrows far away, but the bones will fall closer. However this isn't a very good solution : you'll need a constant redstone pulse, and you'll loose the arrows.
So, long story short, nope :/
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

thanks for the reply
and i sort of thought that would be the case
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
harryht

Post by harryht »

your best bet would be buildcraft
01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101100 01100001 01110100 01100101 00111111 00100000 00111010 01001100
Spoiler
Show
its a secret :L
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

What if you had your arrows / bone get deposited into a Cauldron?

Set up a Blockdispenser on a timer to empty the caldron into a water stream and filter the glue from remaining arrows using wicker. I would put a few hoppers seeded with bone before the Cauldron so you don't turn all of them into glue, some bone would end up getting through the Caldron so that is up to you.

Guess it could be done with the millstone but it only has the 3 slots so that would be hard to time. Though: Does bonemeal set off wood pressure plates? You could set it fire the BD when no bonemeal is being produced.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ages back (pre-planter, for reference) I wanted a ton of red and yellow dye, so I did it like this; items would be washed over 3 hoppers periodically, each having inventories full of clay except one slot, the first 2 with the 'seed' items (red and yellow flowers) in that slot and the last one empty. When a redstone signal from the last was outputted, it went to a very short pulse (inverted) monostable which would power all 3 hoppers, just long enough to empty about half a stack of items from each into their respective chests. This was a good few updates pre-planters though, so I dunno if it would still work.

Thinking on it, now we have planters I should make that again sometime.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:ages back (pre-planter, for reference) I wanted a ton of red and yellow dye, so I did it like this; items would be washed over 3 hoppers periodically, each having inventories full of clay except one slot, the first 2 with the 'seed' items (red and yellow flowers) in that slot and the last one empty. When a redstone signal from the last was outputted, it went to a very short pulse (inverted) monostable which would power all 3 hoppers, just long enough to empty about half a stack of items from each into their respective chests. This was a good few updates pre-planters though, so I dunno if it would still work.

Dude...that's pretty fucking ingenious right there. Nice one :)

As for bones from arrows, I mentioned awhile ago that I was likely to have the Bellows push light objects in front of it when it blows. I said that one of the things I was considering was having it blow arrows, but not bones, which would give you the ability to separate the two.

It's not in the mod yet, and I still have to decide if I'm going to put it in, but just wanted to mention that it is something I've been considering.

I don't much like all my bones and arrows going to the same chest either :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Stormweaver wrote:ages back (pre-planter, for reference) I wanted a ton of red and yellow dye, so I did it like this; items would be washed over 3 hoppers periodically, each having inventories full of clay except one slot, the first 2 with the 'seed' items (red and yellow flowers) in that slot and the last one empty. When a redstone signal from the last was outputted, it went to a very short pulse (inverted) monostable which would power all 3 hoppers, just long enough to empty about half a stack of items from each into their respective chests. This was a good few updates pre-planters though, so I dunno if it would still work.

You my friend are a Genius. Using this technique that you have you can actually seperate every little scrap piece of material that you can think of...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote: You my friend are a Genius. Using this technique that you have you can actually seperate every little scrap piece of material that you can think of...
Yeah, keep in mind though, despite it being ingenious, I'll likely have to fix this now as it pretty much produces an "uber-filter" that invalidates the entire filtering system and makes any expansions I may have planned to it in the future entirely pointless.

It's really a great idea, but way OP given the way the mod works, so as per usual, don't base any elaborate constructions around this idea if you want to keep them down the road.

If I allowed this to stay in, I may's well just change the filters to use the item itself as filter, like other mods tend to.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Deepsniper wrote: You my friend are a Genius. Using this technique that you have you can actually seperate every little scrap piece of material that you can think of...
Yeah, keep in mind though, despite it being ingenious, I'll likely have to fix this now as it pretty much produces an "uber-filter" that invalidates the entire filtering system and makes any expansions I may have planned to it in the future entirely pointless.

It's really a great idea, but way OP given the way the mod works, so as per usual, don't base any elaborate constructions around this idea if you want to keep them down the road.

If I allowed this to stay in, I may's well just change the filters to use the item itself as filter, like other mods tend to.
It wasn't 100% reliable though - hoppers empty at a very fast speed, and mechanical power isn't the most reliable timer in the world.

Although keep in mind that if you do fix it, the same result can be brought about using a couple of (normal) dispensers to add the the 'seed' items to the hoppers. Little bit more complex, but still very manageable.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Although keep in mind that if you do fix it, the same result can be brought about using a couple of (normal) dispensers to add the the 'seed' items to the hoppers. Little bit more complex, but still very manageable.
Depends how I fix it man :)
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

FC really wants to blow up your brilliant idea :P. anyways I'm excited to see the next level of BTW though for now im content with playing on Edolas
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Although keep in mind that if you do fix it, the same result can be brought about using a couple of (normal) dispensers to add the the 'seed' items to the hoppers. Little bit more complex, but still very manageable.
Depends how I fix it man :)
This sounds fun ^.^

I look forward to your challenge FC :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Actually, it is possible to recover your arrows after firing them across the bone sluice into the far wall. You will still lose quite a few but you'll at least get some of them.

If you build your seperator above the area you spend the most time in, you can dig a channel down to a collection target and set a sticky piston with a block for a target in front of the dispenser. Wire the piston so you can activate it with a button push and the arrows will fall off the block and onto the target. Just be very careful not to stand on the target during this operation as instant death can result.

Pictures!
Spoiler
Show
My separation chamber below the skeleton dungeon

There's a hole in the world...

...that arrows fall through
Recovery rate is low but it's generally enough to keep me in ammo until I get significant steel production up and running
Better is the enemy of Good