Bone Pickaxe Mod 2.0 [CE 1.4.1]

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
EpicAaron

Bone Pickaxe Mod 2.0 [CE 1.4.1]

Post by EpicAaron »

Bone Pickaxe Mod 2.0 for Better Than Wolves Community Edition 1.4.1!

This mod unlocks a smorgasbord of new tools that improve the survival experience, including the bone pickaxe, flint knife, and stone hoe!

Bone Pickaxe Mod is a light port of Super Better Than Wolves. BPM makes certain SBTW features available to players that prefer newer versions of CE with addons. I have also ported my tweaks to leather armor and animal drops, among other things.

Version 2.0 backports a ton of bugfixes from newer Community Editions, so you don't have to worry about playing on a lower functioning version of BTW when you load up this mod. Old lighting bugs, trading bugs, and known crashes have been eliminated.

Download
The client and server downloads can be found on my Github page:
https://github.com/Spicy-Boy/Bone-Picka ... s/tag/v2.0

^^ this page also includes a MultiMC Instance that comes with Deco, BTA, Craftguide, and the Graphics Fixer.

This addon is dependent upon Community Edition 1.4.1, which can be downloaded HERE.

The MultiMC Instance comes with a ton of compatible addons already, but if you are trying to install manually for some reason, here are links to specific versions you may need:
Deco:
https://github.com/BTW-Community/Deco-A ... tag/v3.0.7
BTA and BBA:
https://github.com/BTW-Community/Better ... /BTA-3.0.0
https://github.com/BTW-Community/Better ... omes-3.0.0
Craftguide:
https://github.com/BTW-Community/CraftG ... s/tag/v2.0

Some Fabric mods work as well, but you will need to manually install CE 1.4.1 and BPM on top of the Fabric Instance in order to get it to work. An older version of Fabric may be required, I haven't tested extensively.

Features

THE BONE PICKAXE

THE FLINT KNIFE

It comes in iron too!

Cut stuff! Stab stuff!
Break down sticky webs extra fast!

AFFORDABLE LEATHER ARMOR

THE STONE HOE

RETURN OF THE WORKBENCH

BRANCHES

~Changelog~
Spoiler
Show
#CHANGELOG Version 2.0#

- Added right click pickup to torches and bricks

- Added Hardcore Hoofsies 2.0, a feature that makes cows demand more respect from players

- Added a config option (see BPM.properties in the config folder) for placing tools with right click (rather than ctrl+right click)

NOTE: this only works in singleplayer. You will crash if you try to use this feature in multiplayer if the server does not also enable it

- Added Hardcore Soaking, a change that makes sleeping under a rain storm less possible

- Added Hiracho's Dynamic Lighting addon for the sake of the server modpack!
- Torches will emit light when held in the hand. Perfect for exploring the deep places of the world!
- DL is enabled by default in the BPM config. Disable it by changing the configuration option to false

- Added two new bed roll crafting recipes involving feathers and unknit wool. Woo accessible sleeping bags!

- Added the crafting table back to the creative menu

- Changed (reduced) the chance of branches dropping from decaying leaves significantly. From my brief tests, a tree may drop just two branches now

- Changed/Tweaked hunger system so that the player can jump and move around longer before being immobilized by hunger. (can jump during famished)

- Changed/Tweaked hunger system so that the player starves to death when hunger bar is empty more slowly in general.

- Changed/Tweaked sleeping code internally to backport bug fixes from newer versions of CE

- Changed/Tweaked the position of the wake up button (nudged upward) so that status can be viewed while laying down

- Fixed (by backporting) the lighting bug that caused furnaces and hampers to appear pitch black

- Fixed (by backporting) a bug that caused alt-sprinting to consume less hunger than standard sprinting

- Fixed (by backporting) villager trades not refreshing properly

- Fixed a crash that caused your save to brick if you attempted to piston shovel ash!

#CHANGELOG Version 1.2#

- Updated the mod to support CE 1.4.1 (sweet dreams!)

- Added the iron knife, a sharper, more durable knife

- Added recipes to return knives to your inventory if they are being used to cut something

- Added recipes for cracking open ribs using axes, it's faster than cutting in a pinch

- Changed flint knapping to match the system in SBTW. You are now allowed 3 bad hits before the flint shatters and blinds you

#Changelog Version 1.1#

- Added the DEATH CLUB!

- Fixed issue where knives did not break webs properly

- Fixed issue where leaves did not drop branches on decay

#Changelog Version 1.0#

- Added new cow drop: beef rib
>can be cooked in an oven or in a pan

- Added new item: the rib bone
> can be acquired by cutting a hunk of beef rib

- Added new tool: the bone pickaxe
> crafted from a cow's rib bone

- Added old block: the workbench/crafting table
>crafted with an iron ingot and 8 planks

- Added new tool type: knives
>crafted with flint + stone
> can carve wood, cut branches, cut hemp, carve ribs, cut leather
> can stab things with them

- Added new leather armor and tanned leather armor recipes using cut leather
> Leather can be cut with knives (new progress recipe, like knitting!)
> recipes fit within the 2x2 inventory crafting grid

- Added old tool: the stone hoe

- Added new item: branches
>can be dropped by leaves, generated on forest floor
>can be used to craft primitive tools

- Added Hardcore Bible Murder

- Added the MEAT CUBE!

- Added the TIME CUBE!

- Changed SFS tools to be enchantable in the standard enchanting table

- Changed pigs to always drop 2 pieces of meat when killed

- Changed leather to render into 2 glue
>armor rendering recipes have been adjusted accordingly

- Changed pork to render into 2 tallow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BASE CLASS EDITS (as of 2.0):

V1.0
BlockCactus.java
FCAddon.java
FCEntityCow.java
EnumToolMaterial
FCBlockLeaves
BlockLeaves
FCItemHoe
FCItemStone
FCBlockWeb

V2.0
EntityPlayerMP
FCBlockLeaves (again to change branch drops)
FCBlockTorchBase (Hiracho addon)
(CHANGES for BED FIX below vvv)
MinecraftServer
BlockBed
EntityPlayer
EnumStatus
FCBlockBedBase
GuiSleepMP
EntityRenderer
-(CHANGES for LIGHTING FIX below vvv)
FCBlockFurnaceBrick
FCBlockFurnaceBrickIdle
FCUtilsPrimitiveGeometric
RenderBlockUtils
FCBlockWorkbench
-(CHANGES for FIREWORK FIX below vvv)
WorldClient
EntityFireworkStarterFX
FCItemTool
FCEntityCow
FCEntityVillager
FCBlockCookedBrick
FCBlockTorchFiniteBurning
FCTileEntityTorchFinite
FCBlockTorchFiniteUnlit
FCBlockTorchNetherUnlit
FCBlockTorchNetherLit

BASE CLASS OVERRIDES:
FCBlockHempCrop -> BPMBlockHempCrop

BASE CLASS OVERRIDES:
FCBlockHempCrop -> BPMBlockHempCrop

Installation
I only use MultiMC to install and play Better Than Wolves.

Drag and drop the MultiMC Instance zip from the download page into MultiMC (or import using the "add instance" button) to start playing immediately!

MultiMC is basically the launcher I always dreamed of, allowing me to keep all of my favorite MC versions, mods, and modpacks separate. For a guide on how to install BTW with MultiMC, CLICK HERE.

MultiMC also allows you to easily import instances of the game from other people. Once you understand how it works, you'll never want to touch the Vanilla launcher again.

If you use an older launcher to play Better Than Wolves, then I can't help you. Good luck!

Compatibility
I have tested BPM alongside a variety of addons:
Deco
Better Terrain Gen
Yany's Stuff & Things (NO LONGER TRUE AS OF BPM 2.0... older versions still work!)
Sock's Crops Beta
Hiracho's Dynamic Lighting (AS OF BPM 2.0, DL IS NATIVE... no need to install Dynamic Lighting separately, it comes with BPM and can be enabled with config)
Craft Guide

Others may work too. See the changelog for a list of base class edits.

If you notice any issues, please report them to me! If your addon does not work with BPM, feel free to ask me about it. I will try my best to make it work.

Credits
For a more involved credit roll, please see my write up on the SBTW release page. I have a lot of people to thank for giving me the power and confidence to code this thing, but in short...

Major thanks to Sockthing and Hiracho for kicking me in the butt to finally update. Sockthing especially helped me figure a lot of things out.
Giga thanks to Dawnraider for all the incredible under-the-hood work in CE. The boatload of hooks and little methods make developing compatible addons so much easier.
Super thanks to everyone else on the CE team that has contributed code and addons to this incredible project.
Special thanks to Yany for help with compatibility and bug fixing, as well as inspiration.
Mega thanks to Zhil, who started me on my addon journey.
Uber thanks to all the members of the community for keeping the flame of BTW alive, discovering new ways to enjoy the game, and enriching my life incalculably! Time keeps on moving, but Better Than Wolves never gets old.
Last edited by EpicAaron on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
dawnraider

Re: Bone Pickaxe Mod [CE 1.3.10]

Post by dawnraider »

\o/ Woohoo!

Nice work :)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
IssaMe

Post by IssaMe »

Looks like you've got a bone to pick (pretend that was a cool pun)
PlasmaFox

Post by PlasmaFox »

I have survived with your mod a couple of times now. First of all, thank you for updating, the early game is much more fun, the nights aren't boring anymore. The main thing I suggest changing is the cheap leather recipes. I found it reallly easy to craft a full set of leather armour. This overshadows wool knit clothes completely.
Don't turn your back on a wolf.
Umekobucha

Post by Umekobucha »

Where is Death Club?
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Umekobucha wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:33 am Where is Death Club?
Hehe, I actually forgot to put the code for that in the final release version. I am going to release an updated version sometime today.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Re: Bone Pickaxe Mod v1.1 [CE 1.3.10]

Post by EpicAaron »

Bone Pickaxe Mod version 1.1 has been released!

This version fixes a webs, which were not breaking properly with the new knife tool. Leaves now decay and drop branches, and I have also added the DEATH CLUB from SBTW.
PlasmaFox wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:55 pm The main thing I suggest changing is the cheap leather recipes. I found it reallly easy to craft a full set of leather armour. This overshadows wool knit clothes completely.
I know you disagree with the leather armor and leaf decay changes. I intend to learn how to add configs while working on SBTW 2.0, so I'll add some configs to this mod as well. You are right that leather armor is pretty easy to get right now, but I think this has more to do with cows being easy to cheese than anything else. I think making cows respond negatively to being pushed around would fix this problem pretty quickly... ;)

Hardcore Hardcore Hoofsies? Adding string to the armor cost would also be a way to add more weight to the 2x2 armor recipes. Wool, however, is shitty and will remain shitty.

Leaves dropping branches on decay is something I really enjoy, though players have expressed that it seems to make the first few days easier. The change makes stone axes a little more efficient by allowing players to gather a little bit of extra fuel/crafting material without having to chop logs constantly. More blocks for building.
Spoiler
Show
PlasmaFox

Post by PlasmaFox »

I haven't ever "cheesed" cows, what I usually do is wait for them to get injured over the night and crit them with an axe the next morning. You could make cows sensitive to being pushed but you could also give them more HP. Alternatively, set their leather drops to a fixed 1 leather item per adult cow. Considering they drop ribs now, it increases their value tremendously, so either way, it feels like they need a buff in some form.

Branches falling from decaying leaves hurts the balance of the game significantly. Flint knifes being able to harvest leaves from branches is good enough in my opinion, I definitively enjoy this mechanic. Other than that, everything else you added is great. The ability to craft workbenches is a QoL that I needed, so thank you for that too.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

EpicAaron wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:33 pm I intend to learn how to add configs while working on SBTW 2.0, so I'll add some configs to this mod as well.
Configs are super easy to add. All you have to do is register the config property by calling registerProperty() from within the PreInitialize() method of your addon, and then read from the loaded value in handleConfigProperties(), which is passed a map containing every loaded config value for your addon.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
EpicAaron

Re: Bone Pickaxe Mod 1.2 [CE 1.4.1]

Post by EpicAaron »

Updated to CE 1.4.1! Beware HARDCORE NIGHTMARES...

Changelog:
Spoiler
Show
#CHANGELOG Version 1.2#

- Updated the mod to support CE 1.4.1 (sweet dreams!)

- Added the iron knife, a sharper, more durable knife

- Added recipes to return knives to your inventory if they are being used to cut something

- Added recipes for cracking open ribs using axes, it's faster than cutting in a pinch

- Changed flint knapping to match the system in SBTW. You are now allowed 3 bad hits before the flint shatters and blinds you
This update brings BPM a lot closer to being a replica of SBTW. I am brainstorming ways to add my deeper survival changes without introducing incompatibility with other mods. Perhaps Fabric support?
Spoiler
Show
PlasmaFox

Post by PlasmaFox »

Nice to see an update! May I ask, does the iron knife have any extra benefits besides from being faster and more durable?
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

PlasmaFox wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:18 am Nice to see an update! May I ask, does the iron knife have any extra benefits besides from being faster and more durable?
It is significantly more durable. The flint knife is like a shard of glass by comparison.

I have long intended to introduce a whittling system by which players can use an iron chisel or knife to carve wood into signs or bowls or totems or pipes. This new kind of crafting is supposed to be an inefficient means of producing wooden products without a crafting bench. The bowls in particular may not sound too useful, but someday we might have crock pots to cook with over our campfires.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Re: Bone Pickaxe Mod 2.0 [CE 1.4.1]

Post by EpicAaron »

In preparation for the debut of Sock's Crops and the ULTRA COMMUNITY MODPACK (name pending), I have released version 2.0 of BPM!

Changelog:
Spoiler
Show
- Added right click pickup to torches and bricks

- Added Hardcore Hoofsies 2.0, a feature that makes cows demand more respect from players

- Added a config option (see BPM.properties in the config folder) for placing tools with right click (rather than ctrl+right click)

NOTE: this only works in singleplayer. You will crash if you try to use this feature in multiplayer if the server does not also enable it

- Added Hardcore Soaking, a change that makes sleeping under a rain storm less possible

- Added Hiracho's Dynamic Lighting addon for the sake of the server modpack!
- Torches will emit light when held in the hand. Perfect for exploring the deep places of the world!
- DL is enabled by default in the BPM config. Disable it by changing the configuration option to false

- Added two new bed roll crafting recipes involving feathers and unknit wool. Woo accessible sleeping bags!

- Added the crafting table back to the creative menu

- Changed (reduced) the chance of branches dropping from decaying leaves significantly. From my brief tests, a tree may drop just two branches now

- Changed/Tweaked hunger system so that the player can jump and move around longer before being immobilized by hunger. (can jump during famished)

- Changed/Tweaked hunger system so that the player starves to death when hunger bar is empty more slowly in general.

- Changed/Tweaked sleeping code internally to backport bug fixes from newer versions of CE

- Changed/Tweaked the position of the wake up button (nudged upward) so that status can be viewed while laying down

- Fixed (by backporting) the lighting bug that caused furnaces and hampers to appear pitch black

- Fixed (by backporting) a bug that caused alt-sprinting to consume less hunger than standard sprinting

- Fixed (by backporting) villager trades not refreshing properly

- Fixed a crash that caused your save to brick if you attempted to piston shovel ash!
Basically, I brought some neat little things upward from SBTW, like Hardcore Hoofsies 2.0 and right-click-pickup for torches and bricks. Dynamic Lighting is now included natively (for weird compatibility reasons) and can be turned on with a config. I also backported a ton of bugfixes for bugs so old that newer CE 2.X players probably don't even remember them. That way, playing CE 1.4.1 doesn't feel like a strict downgrade from newer versions (novice players wouldn't notice I reckon), though there are features in 2.X that I simply cannot replicate.

I may need to release one last 2.1 update to include SMP Commands and Tweaker features that I neglected to remember with this release... that will certainly come when the modpack drops!
Spoiler
Show