Third-Person Camera: Fine or not?

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Blacklands

Third-Person Camera: Fine or not?

Post by Blacklands »

This is kind of going in the same direction as this recent discussion: https://www.sargunster.com/btwforum/vie ... hp?t=10237

Is the third-person camera that you can currently switch to in the game too "gamey"/"cheaty"?
It allows you all kinds of "wallhack" behavior. You can wall yourself in and still see what's outside completely safely, and without needing to actually have a line of sight to what's on the other side. You can look around corners and up/down angles you couldn't with the first-person view, and all without exposing yourself either.

I'm currently playing on a server with two other people and one of them and me basically only play in first-person, but the other one is using the third-person camera extensively. Not for regular play, they also play in first-person. But whenever they have an opportunity to use the third-person camera to see things they can't see in first-person, they switch to it. They design all their night shelters (and tiny bases) around "exploiting" the camera like that to safely (and without needing slabs/stairs or the like) see what's outside. They also use it during caving. The other two of us weren't even really that aware how powerful it is until they streamed some of their gameplay for us at one point.

Now we kind of wish that there was an option to disable it on a server, or even that it didn't exist at all. It just feels like you're using "metagame" powers to do things you shouldn't be able to do.
However, that of course assumes that first-person is the "intended" way to play BTW, with all its limitations on what you can see. You could also view it as a perfectly fine alternative way to play the game. Plenty of games have third-person cameras, after all, with the same advantages. (However, games that feature both camera types and let you freely switch between them are less common afaik. From the top of my head, I can think of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, and Mount & Blade, for example.)

How do you feel about this camera view existing? Is anyone of you playing exclusively/mostly in the third-person view? Is anyone else using the third-person view like our co-player is using it?
If you agree on it being kind of "cheaty": Is it bad enough that it should be removed from the game (or an option added to disable it on a server/for a world, like how access to commands can be disabled)?
IssaMe

Re: Third-Person Camera: Fine or not?

Post by IssaMe »

I do feel a little tinge of guilt whenever I use it, but for the most part I'm okay with it. I know games like Unturned have options for restricting the camera where you can be forced to play using first/third person, but that has a greater focus on combat. For BTW it'd probably be overkill, but it doesn't sound too hard to implement either?

Oh and if you watch upperman's streams, he uses third-person quite a bit!
EpicAaron

Re: Third-Person Camera: Fine or not?

Post by EpicAaron »

It is busted.

But I have this strict idea in my head that MC is a first person game and looks super lame in 3rd person so I don't play that way.

EDIT: The zoomer behavior of rapidly switching between first and third person mode in a hyper way is definitely majorly helped by third person though, and for that I would never remove it (and taking pictures).

EDIT 2: it honestly sounds kind of cool that your friends have molded their entire game plan around 3rd person. What do the bases look like?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show