Sock's Mobs - Discussion Thread

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Sockthing

Sock's Mobs - Discussion Thread

Post by Sockthing »

Sock's Mobs

This Add-on will add new animals to BTW. Right now I'm still working on the behavior and hope to have that done soon and bring out a release.

For now I was hoping to make this thread to get some community input and collect ideas and discuss about this Add-on.
I'm interested in discussing how adding new mobs affects balance, if at all. For example, should goats replace sheep in certain biomes or can they just be spawned additionally? Etc.

The Goat

The goat is a passive mob like sheep and has an udder like cows and can be milked. Just be sure that udder is full when milking.
There are two variants of goats: with long and with small horns. Only goats with small horns can produce milk and need to be bred with a goat with horns.
If there are two goats with horns close to each other they will try and battle each other. They can't take damage this way.
Occasionally goats will howl and or jump up in the air by up to 4 blocks.
Goats spawn in groups up to 5 goats above a certain y level in all mountainous biomes including hills if they are high enough.
0-2 can have horns. 0-2 can be kids.
Goats can go hungry, but unlike other animals can't go famished or starving. They will turn angry like wolfs and try a ramming attack if the player is close by. A hangry goat can be calmed down by feeding it carrots.
If a goat is attacked by a zombie it will flee. If the goat has horns it has a chance to fight back before fleeing.
Goats can be possessed.
"Ideally i think goats could do with some group behavior like wolves, get too close and they will try to headbut pre emptively, attack one nearby and all big horns go after the player, make goats scary when grouped" - suggestion by Hiracho
Drops: 1-3 raw mutton (to be changed to goat meat?)
Rare drop: leather
Ultra Rare drop: goat skull
Goat Skull
Show
Fox

Foxes are tameable animals like wolves, though wild foxes flee like ocelots. They need to be lured with an item. You can only tame baby foxes. A tamed baby fox will follow you and can jump up blocks.
On taming a baby fox the parents will temporarily go angry.
Foxes spawn in all forest biomes and have a low chance of spawning as raccoons.
There is a low chance foxes can spawn in icy plains. If they do they will be artic foxes.
0-2 baby foxes can spawn,but only player bred foxes can be tamed.
Foxes have a similar hunger behavior to wolfs. Though their food items are different.
Foxes will try and eat Berries if Sock's Crops is installed. Otherwise it can also uproot growing crops like carrots and eat it. Also if very hungry they can attack chicken and sheep.
Foxes can hold any item in their mouth but no armor. If it is holding a tool or weapon, it will be able to use it as an attack weapon. It prefers food and will drop any tool or weapon for it. After a certain time it will eat the food item and thus freeing the mouth for a new item.
Foxes can get possessed.
Drops: fox meat (acts like wolf chops)

Glow Squid

Glow Squid are a rare variant of squid. Their behaviour is like the squids, but glow if it's full moon.
Glow squids drop glow ink and also have squids Mysterious gland and scroll drops.

Other planned mobs:
Bees
Buffalo
Butterfly
Rabbits

These are the general ideas I have so far. I'd love your input on all animals, current or future, and aspects. maybe you even have new or better ideas?

Also if you like to contribute with code, models or textures let me know :)

Thanks and always remember, there's nothing to worry about.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
EpicAaron

Re: Sock's Mobs - Discussion Thread

Post by EpicAaron »

The leather drop on the goat is a great idea. Leather is such a burdened crafting material, especially in a world where automation is very difficult. Perhaps the buffalo (which is freaking adorable) will drop a lot more leather, but be much more dangerous to hunt? Certainly, the strategy of pushing into holes or luring with grass shouldn't work easily with a buffalo.

As has been stated on the discord, this project looks amazing. Thank you for contributing your art powers!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Sockthing

Re: Sock's Mobs - Discussion Thread

Post by Sockthing »

I've made some progress today.
Ive started from scratch and made some needed organisational changes.

So now we have a fresh new fox that for now behaves like ocelots. And if they are sitting and have a block above them they now use a sleeping pose.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread