Does anyone use moulds?

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Does anyone use moulds?

Post by FlowerChild »

As per title. If so, can you describe how you specifically use them?

I'm reevaluating them as a feature due to an SMP bug visible in the relevant subforum. I personally never bother with them, but if others do I may be able to redesign the feature into something that's more reasonable for SMP based on how people use them.

At present, the shared inventory containing the moulds plus the instanced inventory of the crafting grids is extremely messy. They were originally design as an SSP feature that was never really properly adapted to SMP.
dawnraider

Re: Does anyone use moulds?

Post by dawnraider »

Honestly I have never even intentionally made one.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

Same here. The only actual purpose I could think of using is making chain mail a one click thing on a second anvil. getting a second anvil for something so rarely used and trivial feels like a waste. I'd say it isn't worth it,
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I used them from time to time for thing like crafting rope. But i wouldn't miss them that much if they got axed. But i never used diferent anvils with diferent permanent settings of moulds.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

As far as I remember they got added in a time when making plenty of anvils was not so much a problem, and back them they might have been more useful...

Edit: completely missed this post was by FC.
Of course you know when and why the where added.
Anyways, I never used them.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I used them when anvils were easier to make, so late game I could have 10-20 easily, now it's they're far more valuable and harder to make so I can't devote one just to slightly improve the speed I make ropes.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'm quite late to the party, but as someone who occasionally has some wrist pain when playing too much, I always have some moulds in a chest next to my anvil to help me mass craft items for big projects.
My last playthrough is a bit over a year old but I remember that I wasn't bothered to pay the cost of an extra anvil to help me craft a ton of chopping blocks.
Overall I'd say that they have a very limited use, it's like a 'Colorblind option' in the settings which will be ignored by the majority of players, so I couldn't blame you if you decided to remove it if it's too much of a hassle
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for the feedback guys. After long deliberation I decided to give them the axe. I just can't justify the work that would be required to keep them around given how little people use them.