Oxygen Not Included - by Klei

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Oxygen Not Included - by Klei

Post by FlowerChild »

devak wrote: I think the main reason it's not in yet is that dirty air is extremely hard to deal with. The filters seem to destroy a LOT of contaminated air in order to obtain fresh air, and it makes maintaining adequate air levels hard. So the game definitely needs a better way of dealing with contamination.
Other than over-expansion, I think that's likely the reason why I've been having such a hard time maintaining pressure within my base: I've been playing as if contaminated oxygen is a bad thing because it felt really cheap not to.

I'm sure that will be taken care of in the near future.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm ogling this game lately, is it in a play now, or wait for later state in development right now, does anyone know?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I'm ogling this game lately, is it in a play now, or wait for later state in development right now, does anyone know?
I love(ish) it, but I'd say wait. I haven't played the last couple of releases yet, but that's because I was finding it a little short on content and was waiting for some major development to occur before trying it again.

But then again, I just checked and I have 70 hours in it, so maybe I'm just jaded due to overexposure :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Aha, that's what I was suspecting from checking out various lps but people here are my go-to for getting opinions on things, so thanks!

I have a thing for the antfarm digging style this game has, somehow I find it more appealing than say a surface plane base building game, even though the verticality and depth is an illusion of sorts since it still is a 2d plane, hehe.
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: I have a thing for the antfarm digging style this game has, somehow I find it more appealing than say a surface plane base building game, even though the verticality and depth is an illusion of sorts since it still is a 2d plane, hehe.
It's an excellent perspective choice for this game actually. Due to the focus on gas and fluid dynamics, which is what makes this game interesting IMO, overhead really wouldn't work well.

No prob man. It's a very reluctant wait recommendation as there's some very cool stuff in there and I like the way it's going, I just know that I burned out on it a bit in a way that never really happened with Don't Starve.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I will keep it in mind, but my very limited budget makes me doubly careful with the timing of when I get games. I tend to steer way clear of early access games these days.
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I will keep it in mind, but my very limited budget makes me doubly careful with the timing of when I get games. I tend to steer way clear of early access games these days.
Yup, I'm operating under similar constraints in my purchasing choices, so I think waiting is definitely the right call.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Ahhhhhhhh!

I have lost so much time the last few weeks to ONi.

The recent additions to the end tech, a surface to the "asteroid" and duplicate morale are really satesfying.

Keep telling myself not to play a ting until it is feature compete to avoid replay over and over but it hurts so good.

Give it a look if you haven't in a while as ONi feels more complete than ever. I'm still amazed people end up with such nice looking organized bases. I'm over cycle 300, just getting to space and have connections running every which way trying to squash one emergency after another.

It took a long time but Klei as neared delivery on a great game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lol! That's too funny man, as I'm in exactly the same boat in terms of it being a massive time sink for me right now.

Hadn't played seriously in years, the Rocket update came out, decided to give it a quick look, and I must be over 40 hours into my current game or something now. It's so incredibly addictive.

I think I'm nearing cycle 400, but am not anywhere close to space yet. Been playing around a ton with cooling systems, and only managed to get a nice natural gas power setup going that has finally got my dudes off their treadmills :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

400 cycles and treadmills?!? How many dupes were you at :D (I have yet to go over 8)

Deleting the treadmills too early has to be a common cardinal sin. Without system redundancy I have too frequently had my next big thing (oil, hydrogen, natural gas) have a hiccup; all the systems are so codependent the colony collapses into dupes vomiting and pissing themselves as they suffocate XD

Build wise I thought it was sweet when I got some hydrogen and weezwort going, then I peeked at the reddit ect, never again lol. Those crazies have 12x12 builds that cool fluids while eliminating all heat and the like, just crushes by builds.

Time to break for sure till final release, it is definitely the type of game that begs one more cycle and hours just dissapear.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:400 cycles and treadmills?!? How many dupes were you at :D (I have yet to go over 8)
I've been at 10 clones for most of it, and I'm currently considering adding an 11th if a good one pops up in the queue. Too many clones too early is definitely one of those cardinal sins.

In all fairness I was running coal for most of that, supplemented by two treadmills. I didn't want to deal with the excessive C02 and heat production of the coal, so decided to mix it up a bit. Eventually got sick of the slow work rate due to the two dudes constantly on the treadmills, so finally switched up to natural gas when I had enough wheezewort to build a big cooling unit for the generators. With 2 gas gens going right now I have more power than I know what to do with.

I really want to try making a steam engine when I get around to it. I started playing with cooling when I found a steam geyser, hoping to turn it into an engine, but eventually realized it had nowhere near the output I'd need for that.

Anyways, awesome game. It's definitely come a very long way. I think it's nearing feature complete btw, so not sure how much it's going to change from this point forward.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

Just a quick warning to you guys,

the rockets are known to be notoriously buggy. We're talking about astronauts coming back and leaving all skill progress behind. Or actually not coming back at all.
So it might be wise to postpone the rocket part as long as possible.

And if someone here finds a way to deal with the regolith problem, I'm all ears.
The surface of my asteroid is starting to really wear down and I have to do something about the mess up there. I'm just uncertain how to deal with megatons of regolith....
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Thank for rocket warnings. I want fire added so bad.

Also, jet packs now, AAAAHHHHHHHH!
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Looks like it's finally coming out of Early Access (and is currently 33% off on Steam). I think I'm gonna pick it up now, based on all of the praise from you all :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Been meaning to mention: finally "finished" ONI a couple of weeks ago (completed the breach temporal tear objective). Took me a long time after release as my play time was limited this summer, but really enjoyed the hell out of it.

My one little caveat is that the late game space content is obviously quite poorly tested/debugged with many little glitches and nuisances once you get to that point. No showstoppers that I encountered, but definitely enough to detract some from the experience. Overall though, thoroughly awesome time, and I was kinda sad when it was over.