Glass being a spawnable surface is a pain in the arse

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Battosay

Glass being a spawnable surface is a pain in the arse

Post by Battosay »

I understand not wanting to have a non-flammable non-spawnable surface, but at this point I'm just using trapdoors everywhere in my glass roofs because I can't stand the sight of torches on glass.
And the bloody thing requires nether quartz now, meaning I literally have to spend time in Hell to get them.
Please let me have nice looking glass viewing areas again ! :D
dawnraider

Re: Glass being a spawnable surface is a pain in the arse

Post by dawnraider »

I totally agree. I used to have a nice area with a stained glass floor from Deco where I duplicated the build underneath to make it look like a reflection. I ended up having to crisscross it with stone brick and glowstone just to make it look halfway decent still.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Which reminds me that I need to ensure trap doors are flammable :)

I'll think about the glass thing, but there's a number of design considerations that come along with it, including performance questions if one of the most effective blocks in the game is transparent.

And please no "me too" posts guys. Honestly, it just pisses me off and muddies the issue, making it less likely that I'll arrive at a favorable outcome.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I didn't even realize that they were currently not flammable ^^

The performance aspect is something I didn't consider, you're right that could be problematic.
I was ranting mostly because, after weeks of wondering where some mobs were coming from in my base, I realized there was a single glass spot on my roof that was not lit enough. I looked everywhere I could think of numerous times, but never thought to look on glass. I guess I'm just not used to consider it spawnable ^^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's totally cool man. I definitely understand the sentiment here as it was a topic I put a lot of thought into over the past while. There's performance, and then there's also the possibility that if an individual block becomes too dominant, you can expect practically everything to wind up getting built out of it. In this case, I think you could expect most mod screenshots to contain glass skyscrapers if it becomes too effective a building material.

Granted, I made the spawn changes before the nether quartz ones, so I'll mull it over some more if there might be an opening there.

Yeah, I don't think the trapdoors are flammable yet (which I'd create a new block for, like I did with doors). This thread acted as a reminder to me that I still have a few of those blocks to get to :)