Kiln Changes have re-incentivized Brick oven Usage.

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Panda

Kiln Changes have re-incentivized Brick oven Usage.

Post by Panda »

Im Not complaining about the changes to the cook times at all just how it altered my playstyle.

With the very long smelting times for Iron\gold though i find it much easier to use brick ovens until late game after the anvil is acquired and kiln automation is possible. My reasoning? With brick ovens though i need to sacrifice a log its much easier to pop it in and leave as it will remain in the oven until i come back and take it out. With The kiln i have to babysit it pre-anvil and wait for the nuggets to pop out as i cant auto-collect them. Also its much easier to set up a wall of brick ovens then multiple kilns as a single fireable kiln spot requires double the bricks.

Ive torn down my kilns to construct more ovens and will rebuild it late game after i get an anvil.

Hope the feedback helps and im super enjoying the chisel changes!!!
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Kiln Changes have re-incentivized Brick oven Usage.

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmmm... I'd be interested in seeing how that plays out longer term. A semi-auto Kiln should be possible by just making use of a water flow and pistons.

It's definitely a fair point that having a lower tech oven that has additional capability in terms of providing permanent storage for cooked items is a potential balance issue. It's something I'll be sure to keep an eye on.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I was just playing around with this a bit and realized I had created an inconsistency between how some of the old Kiln behavior worked and some of the new.

Some of the old blocks, like Pottery, block waterflow, which allows for some very simple semi-auto functionality. New ones, like ore, do not, which makes semi-auto builds much more complicated.

I'll think that one through and adjust accordingly, as I think it makes all the difference in the relative usability between oven and kiln. Thanks for pointing this out Panda. A very valid point.
Panda

Post by Panda »

<3 no problem.

I guess I'll need to start getting more bricks ready for the future patch.
Never say no to Panda.