Cows scared by buckets

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
dawnraider

Cows scared by buckets

Post by dawnraider »

It's pretty easy to accidentally place a bucket instead of milking a cow, which currently scares the cows. It feels wrong that something like that would scare them, plus the impact that a simple misclick like that can have is a lot. Standing in my cow pen, I took easily 4 hits from cows, which would've been one of the most frustrating deaths if I hadn't been wearing full diamond armor.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Cows scared by buckets

Post by FlowerChild »

I understand that it catches you by surprise the first time, and it did with me too, but I dunno man, I kinda like it.

Screw up yanking on the cow's privates, and it kicks you instead? Seems pretty fair.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Your cow pen should probably be much bigger....
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I suppose so, but had I died there it would've felt pretty bullshit. But I defer to your judgement.

And my cow pen is 7x13 for 8 cows, they aren't remotely crammed in, there just happened to be a number of them standing next to each other.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:I suppose so, but had I died there it would've felt pretty bullshit.
Sure, as would have I, had I died from my similar experience. What I'm saying is that sensation is based on your existing expectations of how it works rather than it being an inherently unfair mechanic. Just because we think it's bullshit because we're used to it working differently doesn't mean it's an inherently bad thing.

I can virtually guarantee that you learned to be careful where you're yanking when milking cows and that it won't be happening again. I think that for a player coming into this fresh, that would seem like a very reasonable thing to be cautious about.

What I've noticed in my own play is that I'm now exceedingly careful about what I'm doing while milking cows, and that level of tension improves the play experience around what was a rather mundane and dull mechanic that just involved a lot of thoughtless spam clicking.

Maybe at some point I might add more detail and further requirements to the milking process to make it even more involved and dangerous, but I think "fixing" this by removing the panic entirely would be a step in the wrong direction.