Invisible Hostile Mobs on Non-Hardcore Spawn

Post any bugs that you find *in the mod* here. This place is NOT for posting installation errors or bugs with vanilla Minecraft, or add-on mods.
Inatun

Invisible Hostile Mobs on Non-Hardcore Spawn

Post by Inatun »

Doing my first run through of the latest version (4.AAAAAHHHHHHeeeee) and I've encountered a visual bug of sorts. I'll die during the night to hostile mob attacks, but the game will have decided that I didn't last long enough to give me a hardcore respawn. I'll respawn in the same general area, but I'll be immediately attacked by invisible mobs. I'll still hear them, take damage from them, and I'll have spiderweb shot at me, but they won't render.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Invisible Hostile Mobs on Non-Hardcore Spawn

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll keep this open, but I'll need confirmation from other sources before looking into this, as it doesn't strike me as something that would have been caused by recent changes.
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

It might just be a problem with my hardware then, my computer isn't exactly state of the art. I'll try tweaking some of the video settings to see if it reduces the problem.
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Actually I can confirm this. Had the same thing happen to me in 4.AAAAAAHHH. I respawned at the same location and was then killed by invisible creepers, skeletons and zombies. If I remember correctly the neutral mobs were still visible. After I died everything went back to normal.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

I'm sorry this isn't very helpful, but I did want to corroborate this. Version eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I witnessed it last night while watching a roommate play; he died at night, respawned, and was then killed again by an invisible skeleton.

He's using a copy of my install, so I don't think that's the issue, but that is to say MCPatcher as the install method. Not a problem I've encountered myself, on my system though.
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

I got a clip of it in action on my stream for proof of the bug, about 1:28 into the stream.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ThirstyCreativePlumDAESuppy
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

So weird. Did anyone have this happen before the recent updates (like before this past Christmas) ?

Trying to narrow down whether this is something I caused recently, or if this is old stuff.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Maybe its a vanilla bug, i mean sometimes we see the spiders on top but they was on the ground. This appear more inside cavern where we have to hit the ground to kill spiders on the roof...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ko_teknik wrote:Maybe its a vanilla bug, i mean sometimes we see the spiders on top but they was on the ground. This appear more inside cavern where we have to hit the ground to kill spiders on the roof...
That's actually an interesting point. In the case of spiders it could be the client/server desync thing you often see with them bouncing up and down.

I don't think that would apply if the player is moving around though. Perhaps if they were perfectly still.
Inatun

Post by Inatun »

Whuppee wrote:I'm sorry this isn't very helpful, but I did want to corroborate this. Version eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I witnessed it last night while watching a roommate play; he died at night, respawned, and was then killed again by an invisible skeleton.

He's using a copy of my install, so I don't think that's the issue, but that is to say MCPatcher as the install method. Not a problem I've encountered myself, on my system though.
A little late on this and I'm not sure it even matters, but I installed manually, not with MCPatcher. No idea if that really changes anything, but there you go.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Since this is still stickied, I assume you're still looking for more information about this bug. I had a very close call with an invisible enderman on stream, so here's a video of it in action. For context, I had just walked back into my original base after having been walking back from HCS a few minutes prior.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrigidPeppyPoxPRChase
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:Since this is still stickied, I assume you're still looking for more information about this bug.
Yup, I definitely am. Thanks.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I also encountered this in my stream the other night. Only happened after I died. I then died again and the mobs were visible. Then died again and they were invisible. It seemed to be random whether they'd be visible or not. First time I died it was night time, then proceeded to die over and over again (my HCS timer hadn't ticked over I guess, I'm very unsure on how the new system works anyway but thats not important).

Creepers, spiders, skeletons and (zombies I think) were all invisible at the time. I didn't notice whether or not some were visible and some weren't. I was playing in a single player world, freshly created in the latest version (AABBBbbb)

I was streaming at the time so tomorrow (falling asleep right now) I'll go through the footage and examine it a bit more thoroughly
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I was browsing through Notch's old blog posts and found this one, which seems to be describing a problem identical to this one that was fixed. It's really old, from back in alpha, but I thought it might be of interest just in case the problem could be related:
https://notch.tumblr.com/post/169069897 ... -next-week
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just had this happen to me, so confirmed on my end.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

A note that this seems to be something that has been lingering in Minecraft for ages in various forms, and I think still exists in modern versions:

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-65040

Seems to happen when chunks are unloaded and immediately reloaded, with entities sometimes getting lost on the client in the mix. This is the exact scenario you would expect if you wander a short distance from a respawn, then are immediately popped back to it.

It seems to also be occurring more with some features I've been working on, so I will definitely need to get this sorted.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fixed for next release?

Ok, I'm writing this explanation for my own future reference as much as anything. From what I can see the following is happening:
Spoiler
Show
-Chunk is unloaded on client.

-Entities in chunk are added to list of entities to unload.

-Chunk is reloaded on client.

-Entities in chunk are resent to client.

-List of entities to unload are processed on client after the new ones are already added, fragging the old ones, and the ones newly sent in the process.

-Entities are never resent to client again, given the server thinks the client received the new copies.

I'm attempting a solution now where on the client, instead of adding the entities to the queue on chunk removal, I just remove them immediately. If I am correctly diagnosing this problem, then that should resolve this. On the other hand, given it's been a lingering problem in vanilla for years that's never been addressed, I'm a little suspicious that it would be this simple.

More details on this (or similar) problem can be found here:

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-65040
Given it's so sporadic, it's extremely hard to prove it fixed. So, maybe fixed for next release? I'll keep testing on my end, but once the next release is out, please let me know if anyone sees it again.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Been a few weeks and a couple of releases since I put out what I thought was a fix for this, so going to assume that worked out.

If anyone runs into this again, feel free to fire me a PM to reopen this thread, or just start a new one.