Steam Sale Season

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Nelgoth

Steam Sale Season

Post by Nelgoth »

Hey BTW crew!

I hope everyone has been doing great. I stop in every week or so to see what you are all up to, but figured I would drop a line since it is steam sale season. Picked up some of the pop-culture games that I have missed out on through out the last few months; Fallout and Doom being the big purchases. I really have been wanting to play Fallout ever since I read about the hardcore survival options and it looks like there are some really good DLC options to choose from. (Hoping to hear about any experiences you all have had with these options.) I got Doom strictly for the fact that one of my friends worked on the project and I wanted see his handy work. I picked up various indie games and revisited some of the old purchases that I have made. I picked up spacechem and have enjoyed it somewhat, it is like Infinifactory with a little less puzzle depth but a few twists on the production purpose, (though I have still been genuinely stumped on one of the levels). I also picked up Train Valley and locks in as a decent fast pace puzzle game. It is fairly shallow but is worth the 5 bucks. It plays kind of like a mobile type game (Think Diner Dash), but more depth and and be somewhat difficult.

I was also looking for some multiplayer split screen games and picked up Moon Hunters, Broforce, and Gauntlet. Broforce took the prize out of those 3, for fun fast pace multiplayer (the chuckles I got from the really bad Bro puns were almost worth the money spent alone.) Moon Hunters got strong 2nd place for overall feel, well worth the price of admission. I do hope they add more content though as it is currently only good for about 3 play throughs (about 3-4 hours of play.)

I have come back around to Reassembly and Space Engineers for the new content updates. Reassembly has earned a spot in my library's favorites section. This is primarily due to the core games mechanics, but also got new life from a couple mods I found. (Reassembler and Super Slow Start) these two mods together make for a somewhat difficult and more purposeful game play experience. Space Engineers has seemed to be stepping up the meta aspect and has earned a few more hours of my time. (Though I have still not fully forgiven them for the Miner Wars 2081 project drop.)

Enough of my rambling though, have any of you stumbled across any hidden gems this year?
Katalliaan

Re: Steam Sale Season

Post by Katalliaan »

I've picked up From the Depths and Clandestine. I haven't played From the Depths all that much (working my way through the tutorials), but I'd heard good things about it in the IRC channel.

Clandestine so far is pretty solid - I played for a couple hours with DaveYanakov, and I thought the missions were enjoyable (there's some stuff between missions, but if you're not the host you're left sitting around waiting).
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:I've picked up From the Depths and Clandestine. I haven't played From the Depths all that much (working my way through the tutorials), but I'd heard good things about it in the IRC channel.
I got heavily addicted to From the Depths a few weeks ago and put in over 150 hours on it, so I'll vouch for it being a very interesting early access game :)

The only big issue I have with it is there are some very exploity aspects to it, like rotors for helicopters not really needing any engine power to operate, or using massive numbers of hydrofoils to boost even the most massive ships to ludicrous speeds, that I assume are just placeholder. If you avoid those though, it's an extremely good time. I was a fan of the new(ish) survival mode in particular, but I wouldn't really recommend that until you have a good idea of how most things work in the game, as it's rather brutal to get going at start if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm currently heavily eyeing Duskers trying to decide if I want to pick it up before the sale ends, but still uncertain as to whether it has the long term play value to warrant the price.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Picked up From the Depths because of this thread.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing, it's great.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

I got the beautiful Banner Saga 2. I love it to pieces.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I picked up the Homeworld Remastered collection after seeing it on sale, really excited to relive a childhood favorite, and I hope to check out Sands of Kharak sometime next paycheck.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Grabbed Subnautica it hits the crafting survival (more explore) spot so good.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I grabbed SpeedRunners, a steal at the price they're offering, ridiculously fun game, Cloudberry Kingdom, good for a bit of infuriating platforming, and Undertale which is ok, but I haven't really gotten into the massive hype that surrounds it.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I picked up and ran through the newer Saints Row standalone. At three bucks the cut scenes made me laugh and the flight mechanic held my interest long enough to get 80% completion.

Kingdom was another good, shorter experience. I put in a few play throughs and still didn't beat it. I can tell that winning is going to be more complex than expected and there is a shocking depth for a game with a single play mechanic.

I also wound up taking a second look at StarMade. I've owned it for a long while now but the things they've been up to in the past year are impressive. If you're into or have had your eye on Space Engineers, you should give it a look. The UI is lacking something but the optimization is far superior and systems have more depth. Plus the game play is much further along.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:Picked up From the Depths because of this thread.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing, it's great.
Hehe...I think that was a big part of the fun for me. It's definitely a game for people that love to learn systems :)
Taleric wrote:Grabbed Subnautica it hits the crafting survival (more explore) spot so good.
I've had that one for quite awhile, and enjoy it quite a bit. Limited play value (I only have 25 hours in it), but I come back every few releases to do another play through, and love it every time.
DaveYanakov wrote: Kingdom was another good, shorter experience. I put in a few play throughs and still didn't beat it. I can tell that winning is going to be more complex than expected and there is a shocking depth for a game with a single play mechanic.
I mentioned picking that one up in the summer sale in another thread, and yeah, I thought it was awesome. I wound up finishing it with 15 hours of play total, and without using a FAQ of any kind. I'd highly recommend not looking anything up as the fun of the game largely comes from figuring out what everything does.
DaveYanakov wrote:I also wound up taking a second look at StarMade. I've owned it for a long while now but the things they've been up to in the past year are impressive. If you're into or have had your eye on Space Engineers, you should give it a look. The UI is lacking something but the optimization is far superior and systems have more depth. Plus the game play is much further along.
I should give that a shot. I played it about a year ago and found it to be a mess of makeshift systems and awkward controls. Even just looking at the screenshots on the Steam page though, it looks like an entirely different game.

----------------

I wound up picking up Reassembly last night given the talk of it on these forums, and was quite enjoying it. It feels a bit pointless beyond a certain stage in the progression, and I'm really uncertain if there's any long term goal here or if I'm just taking one area after another, but there's definitely some interesting systems in it.

Also grabbed Subterrain but have yet to try it out. Decided I could grab those two for the price of Duskers, and it would likely result in more total play value ;)
Caevin

Post by Caevin »

In a different vibe, for any folks that have yet to pick up Zachtronics games, SpaceChem is going for $0.99 and Infinifactory for $12.49
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Shadow of Mordor is very cheap right now too. It's a pretty fun game, worth it.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I forgot Duck Tales, Whoo-hoo!

Update on the Starmade thing, i was reading through reviews and apparently the demo on Steam is still the entire game. The 'full game' is there for people who want to donate toward development and it will remain so until the game has left early access.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

jorgebonafe wrote:Shadow of Mordor is very cheap right now too. It's a pretty fun game, worth it.
Thank you man good heads up! This was very cheap and play very well :D
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yep, I bought it on this sale. My video card is kinda old these days, GTX 550 TI, but still it runs very well.
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I've noticed on my current Queue the game FortressCraft:Evolved popped up and after giving it a read over I was wondering if anybody here had played it and what their thoughts were.

It claims to be a voxel based tower defense type game with heavy automation. You have a few buildings at the start, start mining ores and constructing buildings, build turrets and such to ward off constant invasions, then attempt to build a Wonder-esque plot device to win the game/escape the planet. Given automation and base defense are important design aspects of better than wolves that people here enjoy, I thought it would be good to ask about it before making the investment and possibly spur some interesting discussion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254200
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Doh! I had meant to respond to this then totally brain farted on it:
kazerima wrote:I've noticed on my current Queue the game FortressCraft:Evolved popped up and after giving it a read over I was wondering if anybody here had played it and what their thoughts were.
Having never heard of it before, I impulse bought it several months ago (might of been on sale) and Steam says I have 70 hours in it, although I suspect a fair amount of that was AFK. Obviously, I personally like it and think it's a pretty cool automation game.

The defense elements are pretty minimal (at least in the base game, I haven't bought the expansion), and the end game content just kinda falls off into a void where you slowly realize that the parts you are playing aren't fully developed (expansion is supposed to rectify some of that). Some content also feels very placeholder, like the waves of giant bees (AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!) that attack your base.

Overall, I liked it, and even at full price it's quite a bargain for the amount of interesting play you can get out of it.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Spoiler
Show
The forestcraft looks like a heavily modded minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote: The forestcraft looks like a heavily modded minecraft.
A bit, but it plays very differently. For example, the gameplay is almost entirely vertical, with all your contraptions continuing to function at all times. Progress revolves around going ever deeper and making use of the resources you find there, feeding them into your factory which tends to reside at the surface. Surface level exploration, which is one of MC's strengths, hardly factors into how this thing plays.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Since Kingdom was mentioned earlier in this thread, just wanted to mention for anyone that picked it up that an update was released this past week that almost turns it into a whole new game (they even have a separate executable for it).

Well worth a second look as it turns it into a much more involved experience. It's called "New Lands" and involves conquering multiple areas in order to unlock new buildings and such.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I literally just came in to mention Kingdom: New Lands. The mechanics are a nice blend of new and old and launching that damn boat was an adventure in itself.

Being guided by the ghost of my own failure was a nice touch as well
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I literally just came in to mention Kingdom: New Lands. The mechanics are a nice blend of new and old and launching that damn boat was an adventure in itself.

Being guided by the ghost of my own failure was a nice touch as well
Yeah, I loved it. Much like the original, I binged on it until I beat it, and it was a much tougher task to do so. The unlocks also provide a sense of persistence to the Rogue-like nature of it, where even a failed run improves your situation overall.

I'm uncertain if the final island can be reasonably beat without unlocking at least a couple of things, but I won't get into details, as like with the original, figuring stuff out is a huge part of the fun.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a 75% discount on GOG

https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_deserts_of_kharak
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Metal Gear Phantom Pain for 5 dollars on Humble. It's a phenomenal game, I certainly recommend it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/meta ... antom-pain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think you may have accidentally necored this thread instead of posting to our usual sale one man. Going to lock this one down.