Rimworld 1.0 [unstable]

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
kregoth

Rimworld 1.0 [unstable]

Post by kregoth »

So Rimworld is about to hit it's 1.0 update. It is currently going through testing in the unstable steam branch(several weeks already). It a massive change from what you played before, old strategies won't work. I figured I would let anyone know who is interested in Rimworld, it seems this release version has a massive overhaul to the balance of the game, and from the forums it seems people aren't liking the more challenging difficulties anymore. Mostly because they are as hard as their names imply, and they don't like that all their cheesy exploits don't work anymore lol.

I am really excited to finally see this game get out of early access, it is by far the best game that went through the Kickstarter/early access craze. let me know what others think of the new version if you try it or at least share your stories after it's released. I might hold off as i've spoiled myself to much already. lots of new events have been added, and the killbox is no longer as good as it used to be.

Enjoy!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Gormador

Re: Rimworld 1.0 [unstable]

Post by Gormador »

Oh man, it's been a while! This game is so good, can't wait to play it again with the changes and ALL THE MODS.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I just got to my first wipe.

Incredibly happy with how well done the caravans and other base locations turned out There is just so much depth to every action.

The only issue is it can be tough to know what difficulty to set to maxamize the fun without going overboard.

The story of my wipe starts with a solid three member team. They stake out into some caves also noticing a cave or two over there are some bug inhabitants. The bugs appear pretty passive and my settlers adopt a "mind your business" lifestyle.

All is going yell for a year till one day out of the blue the bugs start munching on machines outside my base. I search for reasons as to why they broke the truce; stumped I finally spot the issue, a dang domesticated cat had wandered into their cave.

The groups primitive weapons were just too weak to fend the bugs off and all were lost.

10/10 would get setup by a house cat again.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

The difficulties are more clear now, go with rough once you feel comfortable with the game. It's not just the storyteller and the difficulty you choose, it's what pawns you take and where you land that also really affect the difficulty. The game doesn't have a set difficulty to play on, just pick what you would enjoy, tough as nails on an ice sheet? or phoebe on a temperate forest with a road! Don't worry what setting you choose the storyteller and the difficulty setting are really only half of what you can do to change how difficult the game will be for you.

I prefer Randy Rough in a temperate forest, or if I'm really wanting fun a swamp! Cassandra and Phoebe are great for making sense, Randy doesn't. "Look 50 tons of...... Human Meat?!" Than curse at yourself for not creating a Cannibalistic colony!

EDIT: Also I forgot, Cassandra and Phoebe also help out when things are bad by sending out helpful events, so they are more forgiving. Which is why I love Randy, he doesn't give a shit one way or the other, if he wants you to fight 100 boomalope, he will do it!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Well its been renamed 0.19 now.
I had my first wipe. Been ground pretty hard and had an insect hive spawn. Didnt have the manpower or firepower to deal with it however an item stash opportnity came up with a doomsday weapon, guarded by 9 maneating chickens. So my hunter and the doggies set out to grab it. In the meantime the hives reproduced like crazy until there was around 200 insects. Cold snap and the moment one of the little bugs died from hypothermia the whole lot set out to extinguish me. My hunter got back in time and took 50 out with the doomsday cannon thing but the other 150 easily tore apart my base and ended it for me
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Well looks like Tynan decided to hold off on 1.0 and released 0.19 because he didn't think the game is ready.

Honestly I am glad he did this, the game really deserves a solid final release, I think tynan has so far done an extremely good job developing this game into something that will entertain everyone for years to come. Looking forward to 1.0 even more now!