Ladders on fire would not go out

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
jackatthekilns

Ladders on fire would not go out

Post by jackatthekilns »

I had some ladders catch fire in the Nether. I understand that this is kind of an inherent risk in using ladders in the Nether, but I hit them repeatedly and the fire would not go out. Is this intentional? It feels off, I expected to put them out the way I put out logs that are on fire, which usually only takes 1 swipe to put out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Ladders on fire would not go out

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, it's intentional due to them not being an isolated block like with regular fire. You'd inevitably end up with oddities due to the zero block hardness of fire otherwise.

I forget the particular circumstances that finally caused me to settle on this, but I know that playing around with it both ways, the one-hit extinguish did not work well. I remember one thing I didn't like was that it leaves you with cheese like being able to climb a flaming ladder just by holding down left click as you go, but I know there were other bits as well.

Now that you remind me though, I think it might be better (and more consistent), if I changed regular fire to not behave like that either, as it really reduces the threat that fire poses substantially to be able to put it out so easily.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Fair enough. I already switched to a staircase in that area anyway.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's a valid point about consistency. The more I think about it, the more I think getting rid of 1 hit extinguish across the board is the right thing to do here.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

That will make charcoal more interesting to make, but there are solutions to that problem as well