Hacking games - Hacknet and Bitburner

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gilberreke

Hacking games - Hacknet and Bitburner

Post by Gilberreke »

I know that a few people picked up Hacknet for free with Humble. I thought I'd open a thread to talk about it, as we play through.

Also, I have another game in the genre (it's free) I've been meaning to share.

https://danielyxie.github.io/bitburner/

It's geared a bit more towards programmers. This game is actually quite complex to figure out, it doesn't provide you with free lunch (unless you go on the reddit, in which case you'll be force-fed all the spoilers without warning).

If you talk about it here and post code snippets, use spoilers.

Have fun hacking guys :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hacking games - Hacknet and Bitburner

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't forget Uplink, the grand-daddy of this genre. I still go back and give it a playthrough every few years.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Don't forget Uplink, the grand-daddy of this genre. I still go back and give it a playthrough every few years.
Yeah, Uplink is fun. It's the least "realistic" of the three, but probably the most polished.

Uplink: more of a Hollywood-style hacking game. If you'd like the game to look a bit prettier, try Uplink OS

Hacknet: This one reminds me the most of my hacking days. Snooping around on computers, reading files, join hacker groups, read bash.org quotes. Most of the gameplay is done in a somewhat realistic terminal, but there's some UI features to make it feel smooth.

Bitburner (free): This one is actually quite the feat. It feels more like Bladerunner in parts than a hacker movie and it features actual distributed programming. You run programs and it figures out how long it would take to run them with the available RAM/CPU resources. The whole thing turns into a clever incremental game. You can even write programs that will automatically hack into a server, turn it into a slave and search for more computers to enslave. Complexity is waaaay higher than the other two, which has pros/cons.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Started playing Hacknet tonight btw. Just a few hours in, but really enjoying it so far, so just wanted to thank you for turning me onto it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Started playing Hacknet tonight btw. Just a few hours in, but really enjoying it so far, so just wanted to thank you for turning me onto it.
It's definitely a cool game. A little too repetitive in early game maybe, but the final two or three missions are amazing.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: It's definitely a cool game. A little too repetitive in early game maybe, but the final two or three missions are amazing.
The gameplay actually reminds me a lot of Uplink, which is a good thing IMO. Maybe a little more text than GUI based, but I definitely get a similar vibe off of it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:The gameplay actually reminds me a lot of Uplink, which is a good thing IMO. Maybe a little more text than GUI based, but I definitely get a similar vibe off of it.
My favorite parts are when they don't hold your hand and you have to go sleuthing around PCs looking for random text files where a moron left his password :)