Placing String

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
ada221

Placing String

Post by ada221 »

I am absolutely loving how now in the early game, many items are now placeable in the world in lieu of chests (axes, sticks, etc.)

I have been using this feature quite a bit, but I find that placing after string on a block it is extremely difficult to locate later unless I remember the exact place I put it (and if I am rediscovering a base after a HCS i probably forgot where I put the string). It's mostly a visibility/hitbox issue. Any Ideas, or should I just be putting it on a specific block/location for better visibility?
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Placing String

Post by FlowerChild »

It's funny you mention this as I've honestly been pondering ripping out string and tripwires entirely, or perhaps implementing modified tripwires that use more of a stake style placement.

But yeah, I don't like the string placement thing myself. Has always felt lame and non-Minecrafty to me.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a big addiction to tripwires that makes them go "AAAAHHHH!" at the thought of them going bye bye?
ada221

Post by ada221 »

I can say that I have never intentionally used a vanilla tripwire for anything, the only use I have gotten out of it is placing the string down for storage in-world along with the other, now-placeable, items
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ada221 wrote:I can say that I have never intentionally used a vanilla tripwire for anything, the only use I have gotten out of it is placing the string down for storage in-world along with the other, now-placeable, items
Yeah, and in terms of early game storage string kinda violates the "only stuff that sticks in other stuff" rule of thumb I've been using for those kinds of features. String just laying on the ground, not tied down to anything, doesn't really feel like it should have any kind of permanence.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Only time I've used tripwires is in pvp, they're nice and subtle. I believe that's actually why they're so hard to see, it would ruin the surprise otherwise! Everything else they do that I can think of can be achieved in other means.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

-I use it for redstone système with elevator... string can detect mob or player when the elevator is on top ( before end tech ).
And i use string for enderman farm too.

-You can place string To prevent firespread around hibachi or netherhack ... this one look à bit cheaty i think.

But for some redstone système i like string and tripwire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ko_teknik wrote:-I use it for redstone système with elevator... string can detect mob or player when the elevator is on top ( before end tech ).
I'm not sure I understand this one. Can you post a screenshot of such a system?
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, ok. Hmmm... yeah, a lens beam could work for that, or potentially a tripwire replacement of my own creation.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

FlowerChild wrote:Ah, ok. Hmmm... yeah, a lens beam could work for that, or potentially a tripwire replacement of my own creation.
-yeah of course but its before END tech access.
I made a video .
http://sendvid.com/s2jpmnes

-I know it's a huge build... But we have build that for challenge and test ! I love found a way to automate without end tech...
another little video to show how much mob spawn :
http://sendvid.com/dckvhazz

-For enderman farm in the end world i use tripwire because each time an enderman spawn it will be pushed by a piston... this make the farm more faster than vinetrap.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ko_teknik wrote: -yeah of course but its before END tech access.
Yup, I realize, that's why I mentioned a potential tripwire replacement. My main problem with string is how it rests on the ground, and the way you're using it doesn't require that.

No guarantees I'll put in replacement blocks, as this is a pretty specific case, but I'll certainly think about it.

The Lens isn't exactly end tech anymore either btw. Tech tree spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
You gain access to it after fighting the wither now.
So I'm not sure it's entirely worth it to have a block just to provide that functionality in the window between that and the point where player would have the resources to build a pulley and platform system.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

oh yay... i think string/tripwire can be usefull for somes specific system... But string on the ground be fine only for early storage, i think some players use that for some bug exploit & cheaty trick.