Does anyone else use stakes?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Moldiworp2

Does anyone else use stakes?

Post by Moldiworp2 »

I've recently started using them for things that aren't just aesthetic, man they help a lot. I just find it curious because I have never seen any of the streamers* (to be fair, I have not watched everything ALL of you have done) or basically anyone else utilize them. Is it because they are out of sight and mind by that point? Plus I like anything that doesn't break immersion and counting out blocks/perceiving the world as a grid definitely falls into that. Come on people, learn to love the stakes* ()i do not endorse gambling in any sense ;) )
Frantiq

Re: Does anyone else use stakes?

Post by Frantiq »

Other than for counting blocks, what do you use them for?
Moldiworp2

Post by Moldiworp2 »

Only that and aesthetics, they just strike me as underused hence why I made this post. I do love the look of them though, beats the hell out of tripwires (or sepia redstone as I like to call it)
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Some potential uses:

- early waypoint marking
- poking loose blocks e.g. when traversing desert, as it will collapse them if they're unstable, and thereafter for marking a safe path (I wonder if anyone is patient enough for this? I just take the risk)
- waypoint marking for caving, though this seems a bit limited, considering they can only be poked into soft material
- mounting the heads of your enemies. Or your own
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wibbles wrote:Some potential uses:

- early waypoint marking
- poking loose blocks e.g. when traversing desert, as it will collapse them if they're unstable, and thereafter for marking a safe path (I wonder if anyone is patient enough for this? I just take the risk)
- waypoint marking for caving, though this seems a bit limited, considering they can only be poked into soft material
- mounting the heads of your enemies. Or your own
Stakes =/= shafts.

I mostly use stakes for aesthetics, but they're nice for making sure something is square. I find it slightly clunky for direct measurement but it works.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

dawnraider wrote:Stakes =/= shafts.
Agh. Brainfart...
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I only use them for aesthetics, but I do use them. Usually on outside walls of buildings to look like wood supports
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I usually use them when I'm measuring out spawn distance from mob traps. I tend to do this both at surface level to mark out the area I want to light up, and at diamond level to mark how far out to branch mine.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Seen stakes used a few times for aesthetics; they look pretty neat on the wall just below a flat roof, or forming the suspension cables on a bridge.
Shafts (and axles) can make some neat posts/torch holders, and look can nice when placed vertically in a window (instead of glass).

Haven't used them for measuring, I get by fairly well counting blocks in/out of the hotbar.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

One aesthetic use I've seen that I really liked was as containment for a bloodwood, while still allowing it to be visible, like it was in a cage, using stakes on the walls and floor/ceiling to have intersecting strings.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!