[Mild spoiler] The debated GUI on an early item

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
utakataJ6

[Mild spoiler] The debated GUI on an early item

Post by utakataJ6 »

I've been posting a lot, but this one is weighing on me. I gave the subforum rules another glance and I'm gonna get this out.

There's clearly been back and forth discussion on the need to shift-click to light the clay oven, versus automatically disabling the GUI function if holding a firestarting object.

I hold no pretenses of changing anyone's mind, but I am in favor of disabling, for a couple reasons. Against shift-click:
1. Consistency - no other gui-based block requires a shift-click to use its function
2. ...which makes this feature hard for new players, as reflected in recent comments and videos (and my playtime),
3. ...particularly because there's only a tenuous connection to any real life state-based action (hunching over to insert?)

On the other hand, in favor of automatic disabling when holding a torch, etc:
4. There are fewer unique items which can light the oven than possible slots in the hotbar
5. striking the oven with firestarting items is the natural progression once the player has realized the oven has a gui but won't self-start, especially coming from the campfire.

Just my 2c
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: [Mild spoiler] The debated GUI on an early item

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm revising that block extensively in the near future, so your post is irrelevant.

And yes, your feedback is getting excessive both in frequency and verbosity, and has been consistently unhelpful. Perhaps a good time to sit back and observe.

Just as an FYI: I had it working the other way, with no shift-click, and played with it that way for about a week before first releasing AAAAHHH. It seriously sucked for anything other than the very first time you use it, getting massively annoying every time you clicked on the furnace with something as common as a torch randomly happening to be in your hand. So, not only is your post unhelpful, it's also completely wrong.

And finally: there's no "debate" about features as you allude to. I unilaterally decided. Somebody may have asked about it and perhaps I may have explained my rationale, but no debate or "back and forth discussion" (as you "clearly" seem to think has happened) have or will occur on the design of the mod.