Forward Momentum Discussion Version 4.A... Spoilers in open

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Taleric

Forward Momentum Discussion Version 4.A... Spoilers in open

Post by Taleric »

I would like to get some thoughts going on what the player can do to keep momentum from HCS to HCS.

Survival at this time is even more gratifying however game play hangs on a razor margin. One rain storm too many, poor moon or ultra dangerous early game wolf, slime swarm ect and get ready to reset.

The lack of chests makes the failure state for a map huge. Multiple HCS running the cruicut of locations and your map is over (thinking brand new maps).

There are a few things I found that can keep the wheel turning:

-Keep all clay and bricks on the ground
-Place campfires, spits and food on them whenever there is excess
-Leave iron and coal in place until use
-Don't bother harvesting unneeded webs

-Once brick furnace is up store valuables in it?

Anything else?

I find that on any map about five or so locations are viable to make it to work bench. The rest are in too poor of a location to really bother with that you don't normally realize till you have invested a day or two.
jackatthekilns

Re: Forward Momentum Discussion Version 4.A... Spoilers in o

Post by jackatthekilns »

I have some observations on cooking and this seems to be a good place to put them out. I am merely going to say what I have observed, I would like confirmation from others to see if this is accurate.

Cooking seems to only happen when the fire is at the mid stage (it may also occur at high flames while wasting fuel) It appears that the key to efficiency is to keep the flame at this mid stage, without letting it drop or go up to the large flame.

I have been testing almost exclusively with sawdust so I will use sawdust as a standard unit.

cooking 1 food item requires 10 sawdust after the initial campfire lights and goes to mid-flame.

if allowed to drop to a low flame after the first piece of food is removed, it requires 17 sawdust to cook another unit. I believe but have not confirmed that if you place the new unit of food before the fire drops and keep the flame at mid-level, it takes 16 sawdust per unit.

Also, from a low flame, 11 sawdust will cause the fire to reach a high flame. After the initial lighting, 5 sawdust will cause it to go to the high flame.

Keep in mind, I am not attempting a definitive description of the cooking process, just what I have observed.
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

Has anyone come close to figuring out chests? I'm afraid to humble brag and jinx myself but on my second world (reset after my first world after very first release) I haven't died yet and I have lasted a while. But now I am to a point where I have a lot of loose material that I'd like to store.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

frank2982 wrote:Has anyone come close to figuring out chests? I'm afraid to humble brag and jinx myself but on my second world (reset after my first world after very first release) I haven't died yet and I have lasted a while. But now I am to a point where I have a lot of loose material that I'd like to store.
Possible we are looking post saw but I have yet to fully test chests and reeds.
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

Taleric wrote:
frank2982 wrote:Has anyone come close to figuring out chests? I'm afraid to humble brag and jinx myself but on my second world (reset after my first world after very first release) I haven't died yet and I have lasted a while. But now I am to a point where I have a lot of loose material that I'd like to store.
Possible we are looking post saw but I have yet to fully test chests and reeds.
I've been able to get Loose Cobble Stone as well. Is there a way to turn it to regular or solid stone? I figure that would be needed to get to the millstone if we are to progress to a saw? I put the loose cobble in the oven but it didn't cook. Other items reacted as expected (food and sand).
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

frank2982 wrote:
I've been able to get Loose Cobble Stone as well. Is there a way to turn it to regular or solid stone? I figure that would be needed to get to the millstone if we are to progress to a saw? I put the loose cobble in the oven but it didn't cook. Other items reacted as expected (food and sand).
I think the answer to the stone is in the hint thread.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Taleric wrote:-Don't bother harvesting unneeded webs
String can be placed on the ground
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Ethinolicbob wrote:
Taleric wrote:-Don't bother harvesting unneeded webs
String can be placed on the ground
Smart! More momentum.