Version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Spoilers in Spoilers

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Xaedblade

Re: Version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Spoilers in Spoilers

Post by Xaedblade »

I feel like i'm an idiot... but how does one get stone? one of my many deaths involved a creeper blowing up and I noticed the stones drop... but when I try to break stone by hand i get a long night of nothing... cheers for any pointers
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Xaedblade wrote:I feel like i'm an idiot... but how does one get stone? one of my many deaths involved a creeper blowing up and I noticed the stones drop... but when I try to break stone by hand i get a long night of nothing... cheers for any pointers
Spoiler
Show
You need something pointy, or sharp
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Thanks Jack! lol I am an idiot! lol
Kerake

Post by Kerake »

I'm really stuck with something, I need a bit of help:
Spoiler
Show
I managed to build a Brick Oven after a bunch of hours of trial&error, but I can't make it work. I've tried to put in it every flammable object that I could think of but it doesn't start. I thought that maybe I need to put something already burning, but the only thing that I could think of is a burning torch and it doesn't work either. I've also tried putting a campfire next to it but it does nothing, and if I break the block below it the oven breaks too (I had a sad time the first time that happened, I had to start all over again, which took me some more deaths in between). So, do I need something else in order to make the Brick Oven work, or I'm just using the wrong items? Any help is really appreciated :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Kerake wrote:I'm really stuck with something, I need a bit of help:
Spoiler
Show
I managed to build a Brick Oven after a bunch of hours of trial&error, but I can't make it work. I've tried to put in it every flammable object that I could think of but it doesn't start. I thought that maybe I need to put something already burning, but the only thing that I could think of is a burning torch and it doesn't work either. I've also tried putting a campfire next to it but it does nothing, and if I break the block below it the oven breaks too (I had a sad time the first time that happened, I had to start all over again, which took me some more deaths in between). So, do I need something else in order to make the Brick Oven work, or I'm just using the wrong items? Any help is really appreciated :)
Spoiler
Show
Light it the same way you would a campfire, holding shift (so you don't open the UI)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kerake

Post by Kerake »

Wow, thank you Stormweaver! :)
I didn't even know that was something you could do in the game, glad I asked because otherwise I would have never figured it out. I know this is not feedback thread, but I just wanted to point it out because maybe there is more people that don't know about it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Kerake wrote:Wow, thank you Stormweaver! :)
I didn't even know that was something you could do in the game, glad I asked because otherwise I would have never figured it out. I know this is not feedback thread, but I just wanted to point it out because maybe there is more people that don't know about it.
It had me stumped for a while too - it seems obvious once you've done it, but before that point the UI confuses things a bit.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: It had me stumped for a while too - it seems obvious once you've done it, but before that point the UI confuses things a bit.
Yeah, I wasn't 100% happy with that UI either. I actually had it working previously where certain items would work instead of opening the GUI if you were holding them in your hand. I wound up getting rid of that though as while it was nice for first use, it quickly became extremely tiresome when say you were just randomly holding a torch and the UI wouldn't open when you clicked on it.

In the end, I opted for the less obvious, but more consistent, UI.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just wanted to show my reaction to my first early game break through. Hope you enjoy.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote:Just wanted to show my reaction to my first early game break through. Hope you enjoy.
Heheh.. that's awesome man. Thanks for clipping it :)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I haven't managed to survive more than a few days yet, but in one life I did discover
Spoiler
Show
there's a way to store items early game without a chest...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gaga654 wrote:I haven't managed to survive more than a few days yet, but in one life I did discover
I'm surprised that seems to remain one of the least known and understood bits of the early game in this update :)
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

The only thing I found in that regard for the time being is
Spoiler
Show
Using clay ovens as a two spot chests. I also ave a desert near, i might explore it in case there's chests there.
And while on that topic
Spoiler
Show
I don't know if i'm the only one, but i'm keeping my brick oven on so i don't have to light it again by filling it with birch wood. And yeah, it really is a great upgrade. I like having a reason to gather clay in the early game, ussually I would just ignore it until bellow and hibachi tech
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

I managed to get my hands on a log spike - thanks to a creeper - it will become an intergral part of my base...

Finally I can enjoy HC-spawn - it nearly drove me away from btw for a while and I tended to cheat to avoid it. But with this new changes I don't mind it as much.

Thanks FC - great update
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AddyBaha wrote:I managed to get my hands on a log spike - thanks to a creeper - it will become an intergral part of my base...
Will fix :)

It's actually not that hard to get them anyways. Just place a log where you want it and whittle it down.
Finally I can enjoy HC-spawn - it nearly drove me away from btw for a while and I tended to cheat to avoid it. But with this new changes I don't mind it as much.
Hehe... well, that's really how this whole thing started. I remember commenting in a stream, years ago, I think with Icy, that ultimately I'd like to diversify the early game activities so that they didn't just involve punching wood. The punching was essentially a placeholder that put time pressure on the player in the first day, so it served a useful purpose gameplay wise, but I also knew it was monotonous as fuck and not particularly fun in itself.

So, a lot of this evolved out of my desire to make the early game more interesting and diverse. Glad it seems to have had the intended effect in your case :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I decided to just play this version anyways and just replace the chunks at my base with a backup since deco doesn't work right now.

Posting here and not the feedback forum because of spoilers, I think the campfire needs to take time to destroy. It's too easy to accidentally break it and get rid of all the cooking progress so far (and fuel used).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: Posting here and not the feedback forum because of spoilers, I think the campfire needs to take time to destroy. It's too easy to accidentally break it and get rid of all the cooking progress so far (and fuel used).
Yup, already on my todo list as it came up in a couple of streams this past weekend. I actually just had it happen to me as well while I was playing in my own world.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

so regarding the search for iron:
Spoiler
Show
I already have the brick oven and a single piece of iron ore dust. I can't smelt it so i guess I need more or somehing like that.
How are you guys finding it, i've been exploring a lot and i'm not having much luck in the exposed iron department. Any source of light in caves I'm missing besides making tons of campfires?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Regarding light:
Spoiler
Show
You can make torches still, but they don't last - an issue I'm struggling to see a solution to. Deep caving with temporary lights seems like asking for death, especially when you can't relight them.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

that's interesting, i'll have to experiment to find out how to do it.
Spoiler
Show
It's not like i'm intending to do deep exploration, I just wan't to poke a bit deeper to find some iron ore
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

I love lava now more than before ! Hot and shine !
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, FC finally made surface lava a cool thing to find :D. I've been wanting a use for it for years now and now it's pretty much THE best find in early game.
Spoiler
Show
If you find either surface lava or bump into a higher-up lava source, use the fluid mechanics like you would with water to slowly expand it in your mine. One source block can service a huge area with light.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

will_holmes wrote:Hm, that doesn't really help. Getting bored of not being able to progress, can someone please just tell me?
I'll answer here since you are asking for a hard spoiler instead of just a hint.
Spoiler
Show
Ok, you have to keep right mouse pressed, not rapid clicking nor stoping, it takes a bit more than half durability
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

Regarding storage
Spoiler
Show
Are wicker baskets the only storage option until you get a saw or is there some intermediate storage available? The sheer amount of inventory space taken up by things like setting up a farm or storing all your exhausted iron tools to smelt later seems infeasible to manage without chests
EDIT: Aha! An iron axe does the job
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Veracity wrote: Aha! An iron axe does the job[/spoiler]
Honestly I find an iron axe has become my new favorite first iron tool, which is probably the exact opposite of the way things used to be. There's just way too many advantages it provides now for me to wait on it :)