Multimc and skins

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Gilberreke

Re: Multimc and skins

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:How is it not working? Do you just that more recently uploaded skins aren't available, or is the a bigger issue there?
It violates the rate limit, so Mojang will randomly time out for them, meaning it goes down for 10 minutes or more at a time. Nothing nefarious, but obviously we don't know what code they are ACTUALLY running, just what they say they're running. So it's unknown, flaky and in violating of Mojang's rate limits.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:How is it not working? Do you just that more recently uploaded skins aren't available, or is the a bigger issue there?
It violates the rate limit, so Mojang will randomly time out for them, meaning it goes down for 10 minutes or more at a time. Nothing nefarious, but obviously we don't know what code they are ACTUALLY running, just what they say they're running. So it's unknown, flaky and in violating of Mojang's rate limits.
I think FC meant this in regards to the AWS.

I've tested the AWS I pointed to in my post (http://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftSkins/) and it works fine in BTW. But as you say, it's limited to older skins and has no upload capability.

It's a well documented obsolete server that Mojang used to use and is perfectly safe.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Daisjun wrote:I think FC meant this in regards to the AWS.

I've tested the AWS I pointed to in my post (http://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftSkins/) and it works fine in BTW. But as you say, it's limited to older skins and has no upload capability.

It's a well documented obsolete server that Mojang used to use and is perfectly safe.
The AWS has a different issue, in that it's not serving old skins, it's serving old accounts, meaning that there's a whole bunch of people whose account isn't old enough for that one to work. Otherwise, yes, it's Mojang and it's safe.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I can take another look at this down the road, perhaps supporting UUIDs and such, but for now I'd say that aws should probably be the server to direct people to, even if that means some skins aren't available for newer accounts. I suspect most BTW players have old accounts.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:I can take another look at this down the road, perhaps supporting UUIDs and such, but for now I'd say that aws should probably be the server to direct people to, even if that means some skins aren't available for newer accounts. I suspect most BTW players have old accounts.
I concur that AWS is by far the best option I've found and so far, there's only been maybe two people with a newer account I've come across. Probably at least 90% of BTW players have accounts old enough
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: I concur that AWS is by far the best option I've found and so far, there's only been maybe two people with a newer account I've come across. Probably at least 90% of BTW players have accounts old enough
If I can ask a favor, would you be willing to be the person for setting up a thread for this stuff here in tech support that I can sticky? I don't really want to leave this as the reference thread given there may be some rather dodgy options flying about.

If not, is someone else here game to maintain such a post/thread?
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

FlowerChild wrote:
LannyRipple wrote:

Code: Select all

fcPlayerSkinURL=http://IP-IN-QUESTION/MinecraftSkins/
Whose IP address is that man?
The IP comes from the author of

* https://github.com/blalp/replacement-fo ... in-servers

which was mentioned (obliquely) earlier in the thread as having figured out how to resolve legacy skins. Instructions are available to host the proxy for anyone that isn't comfortable hitting the authors provided IP. I curled the endpoint and it was providing the cached skins without any other payload. I'll reword my original but obviously can't clean up other's posts.

@Gilberreke How do you see a violation of Mojang's API? It's a documented endpoint for getting UUID and name info. I code and work with APIs, security, and all that jazz as my day job. Not saying you should take my word for it but I have enough experience to evaluate security problems and legal implications and wouldn't have offered my opinion on a nice and easy usage of `fcPlayerSkinURL` if I'd seen any issues. I'm happy to be guided by the community though and will clean up my posts.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I can take another look at this down the road, perhaps supporting UUIDs and such, but for now I'd say that aws should probably be the server to direct people to, even if that means some skins aren't available for newer accounts. I suspect most BTW players have old accounts.
I concur that AWS is by far the best option I've found and so far, there's only been maybe two people with a newer account I've come across. Probably at least 90% of BTW players have accounts old enough
Notably it also doesn't work if you changed your username, like I have. The aws site still serves my skin, but under my old account name.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

This is quite odd. I'm playing around with `fcPlayerSkinURL` in an attempt to statically serve up skins. I'm using Wireshark to watch my traffic. I see the skins request when I log in but it is invariably trying to go to skins.minecraft.net no matter what setting I put in for `fcPlayerSkinURL`.

I can get skins to work by running a static HTTP server for the MinecraftSkins/ endpoint and modifying my hosts file to point skins.minecraft.net at my host. With that set up the skins show up just fine.

This seems very much at odds with this thread where other people report success with using the option so I rebuilt the server using latest files, modified the config, and restarted. I continue to get the same results. I'm at a loss at what I could be doing wrong. If anyone has ideas on what I might try please let me know.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LannyRipple wrote: This seems very much at odds with this thread where other people report success with using the option so I rebuilt the server using latest files, modified the config, and restarted. I continue to get the same results. I'm at a loss at what I could be doing wrong. If anyone has ideas on what I might try please let me know.
Just to make sure: the config file setting is intended to be used on the clients, not the server itself.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

There's been other people that tried to edit the server config, I'll add a note to the sticky