Mines too good a source of wood? Or just too good?

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Sarudak
Site Admin

Mines too good a source of wood? Or just too good?

Post by Sarudak »

Mineshafts seem quite common. I almost always find one in my search for diamonds. Once I do I am delighted it means melons (probably pumpkins too) and it is easier to secure for mining than regular caves as a single block of dirt blocks any path. The biggest thing that concerns me is how good a source of wood they are. I have pulled stacks and stacks of wood out of a single mine when I should be out denuding the land of forests.
Veracity

Re: Mines too good a source of wood? Or just too good?

Post by Veracity »

Mines are an excellent source of resources but I've always felt that's compensated for by how terrifyingly dangerous they are. The passageways are small and claustrophobic, providing little space to retreat in a fight, and the 2x1 doorways heavily restrict line of sight, making it extremely difficult to anticipate mobs before you run directly into them. Also there are cave spiders which pretty much just eat you for breakfast.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Veracity wrote:Mines are an excellent source of resources but I've always felt that's compensated for by how terrifyingly dangerous they are. The passageways are small and claustrophobic, providing little space to retreat in a fight, and the 2x1 doorways heavily restrict line of sight, making it extremely difficult to anticipate mobs before you run directly into them. Also there are cave spiders which pretty much just eat you for breakfast.
Second this. They really do feel like a lumber goldmine. The risks down there balance and it is about equal wood to a regular forest without the stumps to guide you home.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I feel like you guys are dramatically overstating the risks. The hallway aspect makes it easy to tell where threats might come from and the wood arches make it easy to block off a passage. The spiders are deadly yes but infrequent and can generally be nullified with a few pieces of dirt. I feel safer in the mine tunnels than when caving.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I feel like you guys are dramatically overstating the risks. The hallway aspect makes it easy to tell where threats might come from and the wood arches make it easy to block off a passage. The spiders are deadly yes but infrequent and can generally be nullified with a few pieces of dirt. I feel safer in the mine tunnels than when caving.
I think you have a point in that if you're slow and methodical, the regular shapes in mines make them easier to explore. If you for whatever reason get ahead of yourself, forget to block off a tunnel, or what have you, I find they get dangerous much faster than caves generally do, because of the low visibility due to supports, and the many branches.

IMO, you need to be more careful, move slower, and come up with a solid system for how you're going to explore them, but once you do, there's generally less chance of a mishap like something falling on you from a dark ceiling, than with caves.

On the question of surplus of wood, I'll think about it some. I think it may be dependent on where in the progression you hit one. Like I know I didn't hit any mines around my spawn base in my recent world, and the ones I found later while out exploring didn't feel out of balance wood wise as a result.

If I had dug right down at my main base into a mine though, I could see myself having issues with it.

Anyways, will think on it. Thanks for the well reasoned feedback.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think that if you find one when finding that much wood would be a big deal, you're also at the point where you can very easily get your shit wrecked without being extremely careful. Later on those risks drop off, but I think that in terms of the value of the wood found, it seems fairly balanced to me.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I agree that they pose very little danger if you're slow and methodical. I tend to clear one out early game for the wood and iron (no one mentioned that yet, they net several stacks of ingots too). It's just one of those things where you really can't get ahead of yourself. I close off a passage, clear it of wood and rails, create a few chests with the wood, start sorting stuff. Extend the passage, repeat. You can't feasibly do it pre-sustainable food, because it takes so long (I spend a good... 10 hours or so cleaning them out). You end up finding more iron ore than you need to clear it out too, so tools is a non-issue. I usually end up with a surplus of: wood, rails, iron ore and coal. If it's deep enough, you might even be able to get some other goodies.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Gilberreke wrote:I agree that they pose very little danger if you're slow and methodical. I tend to clear one out early game for the wood and iron (no one mentioned that yet, they net several stacks of ingots too). It's just one of those things where you really can't get ahead of yourself. I close off a passage, clear it of wood and rails, create a few chests with the wood, start sorting stuff. Extend the passage, repeat. You can't feasibly do it pre-sustainable food, because it takes so long (I spend a good... 10 hours or so cleaning them out). You end up finding more iron ore than you need to clear it out too, so tools is a non-issue. I usually end up with a surplus of: wood, rails, iron ore and coal. If it's deep enough, you might even be able to get some other goodies.
Yeah they're great late game because of the minecarts. The thing is I found mine pre sustainable food and I haven't 'cleared it out'. Nonetheless it has been a constant and safe supply of wood, iron, coal and seeds for farming. Without that mine I would have been building roads out to nearby forests to feed my furnaces. With the mine I have no need to do so. I have stacks of logs in my base.