The wonderful Sophie's Choice of mod updates

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

The wonderful Sophie's Choice of mod updates

Post by MisterFister »

I'm honestly interested in others' opinions (either generally or specifically in light of this recent-and-possibly-still-ongoing rapid series of updates and injections of new life into the mod -- thank you FC, I love your work and am a true admirer of your design ethic) as to resets.

I've already revealed the terrain and chunks needed to complete the game, even though I haven't teched yet. With these current changes to world-loot spawns such as fortresses with the dormant soulforges (which I'm delightfully fuzzy on as to what they are or how they're useful with the changed anvil tech, and I look forward to discovering it) and potential other changes to biome spawn and other aspects...

Constant resets? World-edits to reposition OS? Slogging through a then-current playthrough on the original version, only upgrading with a new seed? How does everyone strategically invest their often-all-too-limited gaming time in the face of an evolving gamespace in which to play?

Edited to add: I anticipate that some discussion would spawn as to how significant any one change might be (such as the current example, dormant soulforges in fortresses.) Which is fine, I don't anticipate abandoning my current save, regardless of how long I anticipate I'll have to wait to return to investing time in its progress, for reasons brought about by the changes I've discerned from the last three updates. I am hoping to understand the greater general arc of re-seed decisions, primarily in the face of mod updates.

Maybe it'd be easier if I asked for examples of when or why people have chosen to re-seed their BTW games in the past?

My primary experience is in the SSP context, but I'm also intrigued to learn more on the SMP side of things as well.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Niyu

Re: The wonderful Sophie's Choice of mod updates

Post by Niyu »

I ussually re-seed if a change is made that makes me feel that my base is cheating. For example, when hardcore buckets became the default option, my base was completely full of water sources that made keep using that base feel like i cheated those in.

My next reset was made when steel was changed to require defeating the dragon and go to the end. After that the end was changed to require trading with villagers the day after i defeated the dragon and got my steel, so I took the small amount of materials I had, left it in a chest in the end and ignored the fact that there was an open end portal. I didn't go back until I had traded for 12 ender eyes (the amount I needed to open the portal) so I avoided the reset like that. After that i took a long break and started a new game with the current releases.
Psion

Post by Psion »

it really also depends on what kind of builds you have already. for instance, maybe you've made a superamazing base that you're proud of and don't want to lose - in that case mcedit can come in handy, to refresh old chunks to get in new content - i did this with the islands of eldaria map a long time ago to get things like hardcore stratification in. that said, a large map takes a loooooong time to load and refresh, so be prepared to spend hours with the program and wondering if its permanently frozen. <,<

a less harsh option, and also good if you feel your base is too cheaty but you don't want to lose the work, is to remove the cheaty bits from your base, if possible, then carve out those chunks of your base and plop them on a new map. downside of this is potentially winding up with a weird transition if you just stick it on some random ground, but careful placement and a little terrain modifying can amend this generally.

or if you don't have any cherished bases, you can go for a hard reset, which is what i usually do because my bases always wind up looking like a box of cables. ._.;
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

I Tend to play the version I was on unless if drastically changes my previous play... I updated to 4.A4 in my current YouTube world as that one did not drastically change the way I would have played if I had restarted... but as for 4.A5 it does change some of what I would have done in the past but not drastically so I will stick with my current world until there is a drastic change.

Much like when FC added hardcore stratification... that changed everything so a world reset was needed.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I like to restart if there was any significant change to progression. Although partly that's just cause I love the struggle of the early game. My Sophie's choice now is start a new game now or wait until FC has finished his balancing pass on this playthrough.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I usually have only restarted due to significant balancing or world gen (strata) changes that I wanted to play through from scratch.

I've currently restarted (few days ago) since I had a chunk corruption issue and I rage quit. The mindset of a complete restart instead of working to replace or redo what I lost is better for me. Plus my organization system of exploring that world was non-existent and a huge mess so I was just struggling finding new villages (elusive potatoes) since I had no idea where I'd already been. My save file was a couple GB's so I'd explored a huge area already and found myself wandering around for in game weeks only to learn I'd already been there. Most of the area was explored by boat before the sail as well so I want a chance to see how that mechanic works on a large scale, especially early game.

Every time I restart, which has only been 5-6 times over the last...5ish years playing BTW I've told myself this is the last restart. I suppose as long as new world generation is an option, it will always be an attractive option at some point in the game, either due to development changes, an environment change, to replay after 'finishing' the game, etc.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I restarted with these last few releases since I had just beaten the dragon and gotten steel, so I felt like it was cheating after the villager rebalance. Plus it had been since the release of 4.A2 that I had actually experienced the early game (only died once near the beginning of my last world).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

dawnraider wrote:(only died once near the beginning of my last world).
Teach me your ways. I'm on HC Spawn #7 pre diamond pick. Of course the good news is by the time I get spawn base established I'll have covered the entire range of HCS possibilities with bases.