Game Idea - Moonshine Sim

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Game Idea - Moonshine Sim

Post by Taleric »

Inspired by my enjoyment of My Summer Car I imagined a sim for making and running moonshine during prohibition!

Looking around I did not see much game wise on the era.

The sim could lean heavily on the "tech race" vehicle wise to outrun the law, pushing vehicles to new limits.

Vehicle construction, tuning and progression would take a hard look at My Summer Car where the build and sounds are so visceral.

The distillation of alcoholic and processes involved could bring additional interesting simulation.

If a story was needed it could be the loss of Father figure during WWI leaving an only child of meager means to get involved with the alcohol running.

The music of the era was pretty catchy and could make for a good soundtrack. US buildings then were pretty spars but for farms houses and city areas, easy to reproduce. Plenty of long farm field roads.

A challenge in development would be the system for law to give chase during transport for risk/reward and believable pressure to turn a profit that could allow for errors not resulting in immediate confinement for the remainder of decade.

Sounds like promising game subject to others?
Whisp

Re: Game Idea - Moonshine Sim

Post by Whisp »

Which the scenario sounds interesting and offers a lot of possibilities, I am missing a focus in the description.

Planning and running a distillery alone could be enough for a puzzle like game like SpaceChem.

Then the running moonshine part: Is it more like a racing game, each time you finish a batch driving to delivery with a high chance of police appearing somewhere along the way and resulting in a chase trying to loose them. Or more about planning, gathering information about the cops to plan a route that avoids the patrol cars.
In the second case there would be a whole layer of gameplay about information gathering and perhaps bribing cops and influencing/controlling third parties for your support possible.

In the first case a "build your own vehicle" part like My Summer Car would be more feasible, but it would need a way to keep the races interesting instead of just becoming a necessary choir.

In the second case I think it's necessary to decide to which degree it is feasible for someone with a single homegrown distillery or if that part of the game has to evolve with time.

So just my two cents, but I think a serious refinement and focussing on core aspects is necessary to make this viable.
Gilberreke

Re: Game Idea - Moonshine Sim

Post by Gilberreke »

I like the idea of using the same mechanics to both create a still and a car, that sounds cool, but I don't think, fundamentally, a game like My Summer Car would lend itself to car chases and such. I might be wrong?

Feel free to prove it though, that sounds like something I'd give a go :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx