Bomber Crew Review (PC) Steam

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Bomber Crew Review (PC) Steam

Post by Taleric »

I have to share the five hours play I have put into Bomber Crew.

The best games seem to come out of no where. http://store.steampowered.com/app/537800/Bomber_Crew/

You control via 3D 3rd person anchored to the plane the crew of a British WW2 bomber. The art style is a well done voxel easy on the eyes.

The Crew and plane can be equipped with gear unlocked by getting currency and expreriance from flying mission. The Crew gains skill and unlocks special actions related to their specialty.

In flight you have to be concerned with your altitude, plotted course, weapons load, fuel, crew health, crew temperature, plane O2, fires, engines, structure, parachutes, bomb doors and ordinance.

The best feature of the game is that you get the best performance playing like you would a real bomber. Try to fly high or away from danger, spot your target zone, dive into hell and drop ordinance then race home as your plane falls apart around you.

This game is not for min-max players that have to have things perfect but more those that improvise to get by. You are rewarded with returning home by the skin or your teeth or bailing from the plane and praying they can make their way home with the gear you provided them.

I have to recommend this game for the price and think I will get 20 hours or more from it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Bomber Crew Review (PC) Steam

Post by FlowerChild »

I saw that one appear on Steam, and thought that it looked somewhat like the old B-17 games (like "B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th", which was the 2nd in that series), but without the sim elements.

Do you have any experience with those older titles? How does it compare?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I was not aware of that title, figures nothing is truly original with so many years of games now.

Looking at what I could online in comparison, if you had to condense the experiance of the 1992 title I would say you are presented with even more options and control.

Bomber crew kind of captures the experiance the same way you could relate KSP to Orbiter. There is some simplification for things like KSP ignores ullage but the risk/reward is very pronounced.

This game captures the experiences in an eight minute bite per mission without cheapening the sense of satisfaction. Every time I have landed I was thankful to have made it back alive.

One criticism could be that the return of the aircraft is pass or fail without tally of the damage in mission reward. I would counter to say the play that would force would make things more grindy and less action-full. To just make it back to perfect.

Edit: Whoops, the first one was 1992. I will have to watch longer videos when I get home to get a better feel for what B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th offered.

Edit 2: Ok got a look. You could scratch an itch for the game type with B-17, Bomber Crew I would say holds as a standout. The play is much quicker but hits all the important notes. Damage to your craft and personnel loss are very striking, your freedom of action is substantial with how you tackle the approach. Were B-17 to be updated you would basically have Warthunder and while visually appealing and immersive I do not believe it would capture the same feeling as Bomber Crew because it is so sim rooted.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's more pure management juggler than sim title. Having to manage tasks with dwindling crew numbers due to injury can get frenetic but it's nothing like a simulation
Better is the enemy of Good