Fallout 4 is finally good

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Fallout 4 is finally good

Post by DaveYanakov »

With FROST Survival Simulator
Essentially a total conversion in progress that makes Fallout 4 feel like it was made by the Metro team rather than Bethesda. Taking place a few years after the bombs drop rather than 200.
Everything from weapons to food and water are difficult to come by. No set quest, the goal is to survive as long as possible and read about the lore if you care about it. And going above ground is extremely dangerous.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18898/?

Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Re: Fallout 4 is finally good

Post by Gilberreke »

With a host of mods, the new survival mode can be pretty fun too. I should compile a list of must-haves. This looks interesting too, I'll have to play it, I think my mod manager can handle separate profiles.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If Fallout 4 survival difficulty is Kerbal Space Program, FROST is Better Than Starting Manned
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

DaveYanakov wrote:If Fallout 4 survival difficulty is Kerbal Space Program, FROST is Better Than Starting Manned
That is an end-all be-all comparative recommendation around here wow!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

And considering the hit to my reputation that will result if they screw up their design as they continue work on their mod, I hope that level of quality continues past the two hour mark that is my current record
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Side note, this playthrough is extremely entertaining. I've seldom heard anyone get this excited over basic accomplishments and narrow failure.
https://youtu.be/K1EbkBU7uFc?t=2m8s
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I played through Fallout 4 pretty blind, put about 60 hours in, enjoyed it then left it alone for a few months.

I came back to look at the store page on Steam and Jesus...I didn't realise how much people were savaging it. It's like the game killed a close family member of theirs. Why are people so personally affronted by it?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I think is mostly people that after playing New Vegas expected the game to follow a different path.

As a game it's quite nice. As a fallout game, it doesn't really follow the fallout, or even the bethesda game studios, formula.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Niyu wrote:I think is mostly people that after playing New Vegas expected the game to follow a different path.

As a game it's quite nice. As a fallout game, it doesn't really follow the fallout, or even the bethesda game studios, formula.
It follows the Fallout 3 formula quite closely and New Vegas isn't a Bethesda game. I see the trend:

- Oblivion had Radiant AI, it solved a problem, but made all NPCs bland to interact with.
- Skyrim had Radiant Quests, which were atrocious, bland and didn't really solve any problem.
- Fallout 4 relies on both of these by such a high degree, the actual content in the game is very, very sparse and hard to find amidst a sea of bland

Fallout 3 was pretty sparse on content to begin with and they just added the blandness of Elder Scrolls radiant stuff. The crafting/building stuff is like most Bethesda things: a good base system, that struggles to find its place in the game.

Meanwhile, New Vegas proved that if you take the excellent base systems and hand them to proper game designers, you get a marvelous game. New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time, while none of the Bethesda games really get anywhere close to the top of my list. I'd say Oblivion is my favorite one and I can think of at least a dozen games that are at least an order of magnitude more to my liking.

That said, I do enjoy playing Bethesda games for extended periods of time, so it's not that I think they are bad, just, rather mediocre?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx