20 Lessons from Magic: The Gathering's Head of Design

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Inatun

20 Lessons from Magic: The Gathering's Head of Design

Post by Inatun »

Part of the reason I still follow this mod, even if I don't play it as much as I used to, is because I love hearing FlowerChild talk about game design. Since listening to interviews of him and studying some of his forum posts on his design decisions and the current state of vanilla Minecraft and the modding scene, I've found myself looking at games with a much more critical eye.

At the same time, I've gotten into Magic: The Gathering, and I've found myself absolutely immersed in the worlds that the design team creates, flavor and mechanic wise. Awhile ago, Mark Rosewater, head of Magic design, gave a talk at GDC 2016 about 20 lessons he's learned in his 20 years of working on Magic, and if anyone else here is interested in the art of game design then they'll probably find this interesting.

You don't need to be familiar with the game to understand what he's talking about. The bits where he does talk about Magic mechanics are easy to understand for non-Magic players in my opinion, but the lessons are broad enough that they can apply to any game in any medium.

In case you prefer reading over watching, he's put the entire talk into the form of a set of three articles.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

If you found it interesting, share you thoughts!
Rianaru wrote:As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
BinoAl

Re: 20 Lessons from Magic: The Gathering's Head of Design

Post by BinoAl »

I was really into M:tG for a couple years, and Mark Rosewater talks about his views on design and his process a *lot*. There's a lot more of his material out there, if you were wanting more
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

As a fan of both MTG and game design in general, I really enjoyed this. I've read quite a bit of stuff from Mark, but given just how much he's written I haven't read a lot of his work!

I seem to recall lesson 19 there as why we no longer have a suggestion subforum.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

#19: "Your audience is good at recognizing problems and bad at solving them"

This is the one we've talked about ad nauseam on these forums. People are very good at noticing parts of the game that aren't fun, but if you ask them how to fix it, they'll just say: "give me more power". It's why Flower went from having a suggestion forum (solving the problem), which was a baaaaad idea, to a feedback forum (recognizing the problem).

Mark Rosewater is a delight :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Really enjoyed the presentation. There is a lot of interesting stuff there and i was really amazed by the Plants vs Zombies story. Reminds me of Downwell for some reason.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!