[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Rob

[1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatcher

Post by Rob »

Installing BTW with the New Launcher and MCPatcher.
I created this guide since all the other 'How-To Install' guides are out of date with the New Launcher being the only way to access Minecraft now.

WARNING: If you've previously run Minecraft in the most up-to-date launcher, your new launcher settings file will inhibit MCPatcher from working, you must revert the settings file using the Downgrading Minecraft Launcher for Proper MCPatcher Function. steps found below. Once you have installed BTW with MCPatcher, you can use the New Launcher to play. You will have to reset the settings file for any future re-installs though.

This guide works with Version 4.A2 Timing Rodent b.

Guide in Video Format: Arrobee's Better Than Wolves Install Tutorial
Does not include the upgrade guide.

Things You Will Need:
The Old Launcher (Second on the list, found here.)
MC Patcher (Found here.) Download version 5.0.2. The newest MCPatcher (v5.0.3) breaks Better Grass. If Better Grass is not important with you, than the newest version is fine.
Better than Wolves (Found here.)

**Help, MCPatcher gives me a java.io.IOException when I open it!**

Downgrading Minecraft Launcher for Proper MCPatcher Function.
  • Download the old launcher here.
  • Run the Old Launcher.
  • On the 'Outdated Launcher' pop-up that follows, click on "I'm sure. Reset my settings."
  • Sign in to Minecraft.
  • Continue to Creating a Better than Wolves Profile., ignoring the 'Run the Old Launcher' step, because you already have.

If you've previously run this tutorial and have a currently outdated version of BTW installed, use 'Just an Update, Please.' at the end of this tutorial.

Creating a Better than Wolves Profile.
  • Run the Old Launcher.
  • Click 'New Profile'.
  • In the Profile Editor window that popped up, change the Profile name to what you want. (Example: Better Than Wolves)
  • Farther down that same window, click on the Use version dropdown and select 'release 1.5.2'.
  • Click 'Save Profile'.
  • Your new profile should now be selected, if not, select it, then click 'Play'.
  • Once you have downloaded version 1.5.2 and you are at Minecraft's main menu, close the game and the launcher if it opens back up.
Installing Better than Wolves with MCPatcher.
  • Run MCPatcher.
  • In the Minecraft Profile box highlight 'MCPatcher' and replace it with the EXACT SAME profile name you chose in the Launcher (Example: Better Than Wolves), hit enter on your keyboard.
  • Wait for the profile to be created. If MCPatcher closes, just run it again and your new profile should be in the dropdown box.
  • With your new profile selected, change the Game version drop box to 1.5.2.
  • Wait for the profile to update.
  • Click the 'Mods' menu option.
  • Click 'Add...'
  • Find the folder you downloaded BTW to and open the file.
  • In the folder select window that pops up, select 'MINECRAFT-JAR' and click 'OK'.
  • In the Add external mod window that popped up, don't mess with anything, just click 'OK'.
  • The BTW mod should now be at the top of your Mods list, if not, select it and click the up arrow button until it is on top.
  • Make sure that everything in the mods list is check marked.
  • Click 'Patch'.
  • Wait for the jar to be created and then close MCPatcher.
DO NOT RUN MINECRAFT. You're not done yet!
  • Locate your Minecraft game folder. (Default location is usually: C:\Users\####\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft)
  • Open the 'versions' folder.
  • Open the folder of the new jar you just created. (Example: 1.5.2-betterthanwolves)
  • Open the '.json' file with notepad.
  • Scroll to the very bottom of the text file and locate the following code:
    Spoiler
    Show

Code: Select all

"mainClass": "net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch",
      "minimumLauncherVersion": 4,
      "assets": "legacy",
      "downloads": {
        "client": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/client/465378c9dc2f779ae1d6e8046ebc46fb53a57968/client.jar",
          "sha1": "465378c9dc2f779ae1d6e8046ebc46fb53a57968",
          "size": 5564661
        },
        "server": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/server/f9ae3f651319151ce99a0bfad6b34fa16eb6775f/server.jar",
          "sha1": "f9ae3f651319151ce99a0bfad6b34fa16eb6775f",
          "size": 2360903
        },
        "windows_server": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/windows_server/49fded489aae76e012048c3c81dcc323384ef781/windows_server.exe",
          "sha1": "49fded489aae76e012048c3c81dcc323384ef781",
          "size": 2542151
        }
      },
      "assetIndex": {
        "totalSize": 111220701,
        "id": "legacy",
        "known": true,
        "url": "https://launchermeta.mojang.com/mc-staging/assets/legacy/c0fd82e8ce9fbc93119e40d96d5a4e62cfa3f729/legacy.json",
        "sha1": "c0fd82e8ce9fbc93119e40d96d5a4e62cfa3f729",
        "size": 134284
      }
    }
    (If anyone has an issue finding that text, because notepad doesn't lay out the information properly, try making the text word wrap with the format menu option. Or, install Notepad++ and use that instead.)
  • Delete everything between the '4' and the LAST '}' so it looks like this:

"minimumLauncherVersion": 4
    }
  • Save the file.
How to Create Separate Directories for Each Profile.
  • Run the Launcher.
  • Click 'Edit Profile'.
  • In the Profile Editor window that popped up, check mark the Game Directory option.
  • Edit the file path to a folder you want this profile's saves to go to. (Example1: C:\Users\####\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\BetterThanWolves Example2: E:\BetterThanWolves) Any folders not present will be created on game launch.
  • Click 'Save Profile'.

Only use the steps below if you are updating BTW from a previous use of this tutorial.

Just an Update, Please.
  • Download the newest update of BTW.
  • Run MCPatcher.
  • Your Mincraft Profile should be your BTW profile, if not, change it.
  • In the 'Mods' tab, highlight the old BTW version by clicking it.
  • Click 'Remove'
  • Click 'Add...'
  • Find the folder you downloadedthe new BTW version to and open the file.
  • In the folder select window that pops up, select 'MINECRAFT-JAR' and click 'OK'.
  • In the Add external mod window that popped up, don't mess with anything, just click 'OK'.
  • The BTW mod should now be at the top of your Mods list, if not, select it and click the up arrow button until it is on top.
  • Make sure that everything in the mods list is check marked.
  • Click 'Unpatch' in the bottom right to remove the old version of BTW.
  • A pop-up will inform you of the removal of the old version and that your texture pack was reset to default, click 'OK'.
  • Click 'Patch'.
  • Wait for the jar to be created and then close MCPatcher.
  • Follow the steps above for: DO NOT RUN MINECRAFT. You're not done yet!

Change Log
EDIT: Updated subject line to reflect that this post is a guide.
EDIT2: Added Separate Directories section to the guide.
EDIT3: Noted that these directions were written for Windows. Added Linux/Mac sections for community input of differences versus these Windows directions, if any.
EDIT4: Updated minecraft forum link. Removed Linux/Mac sections; will add back if anyone brings up differences. Added the 'Just an Update, Please' section.
EDIT5: With help from MagikEh(Thanks for teaching me the ways of the compare function! :P) I've figured out the issue with the new launcher causing our jars to reinstall. Updated tutorial with the DO NOT RUN MINECRAFT. You're not done yet! guide.
EDIT6: Updated some wording. Added a spoiler to remove some of the post length due to .json code.
EDIT7: Added a video format for a fresh install.
EDIT8: Tried to figure out why Mojang hates us Legacy Modders so much. No luck, but updated guide for: Downgrading Minecraft Launcher for Proper MCPatcher Function. Also, MCPatcher 5.0.3 sucks for Better Grass enthusiasts, use v5.0.2 instead!
Last edited by Rob on Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Rob

Re: [1.5.2][GUIDE] How-to install BTW w/ MCLauncher & MCPatc

Post by Rob »

Added a section for separating your profile saves. That way you don't accidentally load a BTW save with your non-BTW profiles, ruining your world.

If you have any questions or need further explanation on any part of this guide, please let me know and I will try to simplify it or reword the directions. If you used any part of the guide, and it worked for you, let me know that too! :D
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Cheers Rob!
Any time I have introduced a friend to BTW who is a bit of a tech noob (cant play anything without an installer) I have pointed them to this post and have had a 100% success rate at getting it all set up.

Cheers for having such clear concise instructions!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ethinolicbob wrote:Cheers Rob!
Any time I have introduced a friend to BTW who is a bit of a tech noob (cant play anything without an installer) I have pointed them to this post and have had a 100% success rate at getting it all set up.

Cheers for having such clear concise instructions!
Awesome. Glad to know it is helpful! :D
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Really appreciate this post!
I just spent over an hour trying to get the original 1.5.2 version of MCpatcher working and this was a godsend.
Hopefully any new players who don't have the old launcher handy find this before barking up the wrong tree like I did.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Rob

Post by Rob »

Since BTW is permanently at Minecraft 1.5.2, I don't think these instructions will ever stop working. But just an FYI, they still work as of Version 4.A1 Humped Camel.

If you've previously run this tutorial and have a currently outdated version of BTW, use 'Just an Update, Please.' at the end of this tutorial.

Change log:
  • Updated minecraft forum link.
  • Removed Linux/Mac sections; will add back if anyone brings up differences.
  • Added the 'Just an Update, Please' section.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

I have to report a strange error, or hopefully I'm just to dump to follow the guide.

Having all done I went into te directory (..\.minecraft\versions\BTW) and the patched jar had around 7mb, all fine. Then I started the launcher, selected the right profile (checked everything was right) and started the game, loaded a world and nothing(!); just vanilla 1.5.2, no BTW and no connected texture or the other things (of course I loaded a texture pack using this things to check this).
Went back to the directory and discovered it had replaced the 7mb jar with the "clean" 5.435kb 1.5.2 one. No Idea why it did so.
I even retried the whole process but before launching opened the jar to check the "META-INF" folder was gone; it was, so no clue where the problem is.

To be honest originally I had some more mods packed on, but with a manual install they work together just fine, and I kept the installation order. When this failed I then tried with really just BTWHumpedChamel.

Any ideas what went wrong, or where I was to dump?

EDIT: the used MCpatcher version was: mcpatcher-5.0.3
Rob

Post by Rob »

I recently(last month or so) reinstalled BTW, and didn't have any issues.

I can try a new install again tonight or tomorrow to see if I come across your issue. Just curious, did MCPatcher update recently?
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I just used MCPatcher 5.0.3 with no issues.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

From what I can tell so far it's not a Problem with MCpatcher but with the launcher.
As I explained in here launching the same file with old and new launcher produces different results. The old launcher boots it as intended and everything works fine(BTW installed, texture things working), while the new one (for unknown reasons) dislikes the patched jar and replaces it with a "clean" 1.5.2 one; this happening so even with just BTW installed.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Epsilon wrote:From what I can tell so far it's not a Problem with MCpatcher but with the launcher.
As I explained in here launching the same file with old and new launcher produces different results. The old launcher boots it as intended and everything works fine(BTW installed, texture things working), while the new one (for unknown reasons) dislikes the patched jar and replaces it with a "clean" 1.5.2 one; this happening so even with just BTW installed.
When you say new, this isn't a new new launcher? Just the one they moved to to stop whatever their vulnerability was with the original one?

The issue sounds vaguely familiar to an issue I had before making this guide. Which was that the files were not named properly. Make sure you followed this:
Installing Better than Wolves with MCPatcher.
Run MCPatcher.
In the Minecraft Profile box highlight 'MCPatcher' and replace it with the EXACT SAME profile name you chose in the Launcher (Example: Better Than Wolves), hit enter on your keyboard.
Exactly.

I'm thinking your file names might be off, make sure caps and spaces are correct. Otherwise the patcher will make a new jar. If that is not it, I'll look into it further. Don't have time to try a fresh install tonight, but jack is saying there is no issue for him.
Rob

Post by Rob »

So, I noticed when I first booted up Minecraft, the launcher had an update. It updated and installed.

I then tried to see if I could reproduce the problem some people seem to be having, and minecraft is over-writing the jar with a fresh install. I'll keep digging to try and find out why.

Current test was with the instructions I had up above on a fresh jar. The new jar doesn't load, and instead is replaced.

My old install doesn't have the issue, it loads minecraft with no issues.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah I'm having the same issue :/
Trying to install BTW on a new computer, and after following every step carefully, when I launch the game it keeps downloading a fresh .jar instead of using the one I just patched. I know the names are properly matched, the json properly links to the new .jar created, the profile is properly set, yet it still wants to download a fresh jar anytime. No idea what to do next :(
Rob

Post by Rob »

I tried MCPatcher with everything unchecked, except for BTW. Same issue.

Going to try just installing BTW manually to see if it is ultimately MCPatcher. But it is leading me to believe, MCPatcher is not playing nice with the new launcher update.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I tried that also, sadly even when you do it by hand the launcher still overwrites your jar, so I'm guessing it's a new thing with the launcher :/
Rob

Post by Rob »

Battosay wrote:I tried that also, sadly even when you do it by hand the launcher still overwrites your jar, so I'm guessing it's a new thing with the launcher :/
Yup, was just about to say that. Tried a manual install, still having the same re-write issue. :(

FC Halp! :P
Rob

Post by Rob »

Created a new profile and linked to my old, working jar. Loaded with no issues.

I'm not sure what the new launcher does that causes it's jars to not load properly..

Pointed my old profile to the new jar. It downloads a new jar.

Used the old 1.5.2 jar that I used to make the original jar that works, to make a new jar. On load, it re-downloads the jar.

So, I'm not sure what the main issue is..
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

That's strange, I did the same (pointing to a copy of my usual jar, the same one I used for years), and it stills downloads a new one for me here. Only way I can play on my old computer is by using the 2 (3?) years old launcher and staying offline.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The issue is in the json files. I think. My old json file is 4kb. The new ones are 5kb. Something in the new json file is causing it to rewrite.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Figured it out, tutorial in a minute.
Rob

Post by Rob »

DO NOT RUN MINECRAFT. You're not done yet!
  • Locate your Minecraft game folder. (Default location is usually: C:\Users\####\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft)
  • Open the 'versions' folder.
  • Open the folder of the new jar you just created. (Example: 1.5.2-betterthanwolves)
  • Open the '.json' file with notepad.
  • Scroll to the very bottom of the text file and locate the following code:

"minimumLauncherVersion": 4,
      "assets": "legacy",
      "downloads": {
        "client": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/client/465378c9dc2f779ae1d6e8046ebc46fb53a57968/client.jar",
          "sha1": "465378c9dc2f779ae1d6e8046ebc46fb53a57968",
          "size": 5564661
        },
        "server": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/server/f9ae3f651319151ce99a0bfad6b34fa16eb6775f/server.jar",
          "sha1": "f9ae3f651319151ce99a0bfad6b34fa16eb6775f",
          "size": 2360903
        },
        "windows_server": {
          "url": "https://launcher.mojang.com/mc/game/1.5.2/windows_server/49fded489aae76e012048c3c81dcc323384ef781/windows_server.exe",
          "sha1": "49fded489aae76e012048c3c81dcc323384ef781",
          "size": 2542151
        }
      },
      "assetIndex": {
        "totalSize": 111220701,
        "id": "legacy",
        "known": true,
        "url": "https://launchermeta.mojang.com/mc-staging/assets/legacy/c0fd82e8ce9fbc93119e40d96d5a4e62cfa3f729/legacy.json",
        "sha1": "c0fd82e8ce9fbc93119e40d96d5a4e62cfa3f729",
        "size": 134284
      }
    }
    (If anyone has an issue finding that text, because notepad doesn't lay out the information properly, try making the text word wrap with the format menu option. Or, install Notepad++ and use that instead.)
  • Delete everything between the '4' and the LAST '}' so it looks like this:

"minimumLauncherVersion": 4
    }
  • Save the file.
  • Open Minecraft and enjoy!
Last edited by Rob on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

If anyone has an issue finding that text, because notepad doesn't lay out the information properly, try making the text word wrap with the format menu option. Or, install Notepad++ and use that instead.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

My hero <3
Rob

Post by Rob »

Created a video guide that explains how to install BTW for a fresh install.

Guide in Video Format: Arrobee's Better Than Wolves Install Tutorial
Does not include the upgrade guide.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Minecraft Launcher has updated.. again.. This time to bloat the .json file from 5KB to 10KB.

I tried the old installation method without editing the end of the .json file, and it still re-writes the jar. So, to install BTW properly, you will need to continue removing the end portion of the .json file as directed in this tutorial.

Taking the final file size from 10KB to 9KB. The remaining 5KB of extra file information doesn't seem to effect BTW, if anyone runs into any issues, please let me know.