candles lanterns and poop dye

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
DiamondArms

candles lanterns and poop dye

Post by DiamondArms »

Two minor things that get my goat: Candles can't be used to make Jack o' Lanterns and poop can't be used to mass dye wool balls in a cauldron

1) Candles, being an alternative to torches for lighting, can't substitute for torches in crafting lanterns.
It bugs me as candles already lose out to torches as they can't be placed on walls, making them feel lesser compared to torches which can be placed both on walls and inside pumpkins.

2) Poop can't be used to dye multiple wool balls in a cauldron
It works with cocoa powder however. Poop already seems to be effective in a cauldron(see tanning) but can't colour 32 balls of wool. I noticed this when making brown wool balls to feed my villagers. Poop can colour individual balls of wool though. Feels inconsistent.
abculatter_2

Re: candles lanterns and poop dye

Post by abculatter_2 »

I kinda agree with jackolanterns not being able to be made with candles, though honestly it's such a minor thing that I don't think it's really worth it, unless the recipe is completely replaced to use candles instead of torches. Which would still be really, REALLY 'meh' as far as new features go, in my opinion.

As for torches seeming better then candles, candles are brighter then torches, having the same light value as glowstone. This makes them more efficient then torches for lighting large areas, and personally I've never had a problem while using them while caving, since I usually only care about lighting top-faces anyway. I also tend to prefer saving my coal dust for whenever I eventually get to play around with steel, especially since tallow and hemp are both quite easy to amass automatically mid-game.
I believe them not being able to be placed on block sides was an intentional thing as well, so that candles aren't just an upgrade from torches.

I'm pretty sure poop not being a valid dye in a cauldron was intentional as well, so that cocoa dye wasn't made pointless by an alternative that's objectively cheaper and equal in all other ways.
DiamondArms

Re: candles lanterns and poop dye

Post by DiamondArms »

huh. thats interesting to know. thanks for the info.