Social Justice Warriors

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Social Justice Warriors

Post by jorgebonafe »

This looks pretty amusing. I'm sure this community can see the humor in this considering its something FC in particular has to suffer on a regular basis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEHPH30NVc
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Miss_Kat

Re: Social Justice Warriors

Post by Miss_Kat »

you totally sure about that?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ok, maybe I should elaborate... I'm not saying this is a great game, or recommending anyone to buy it. I didn't buy it, its not my kind of game. All I meant is its funny :P
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

If I had a ten foot pole, I'd be keeping it as far from this as possible :/
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I don't mind playing as a sociopathic hitman or criminal, a alien killing machine that parasitizes helpless human colonists and carves up colonial marines with rows and rows of razor sharp teeth or an emotionless automaton programmed to extinguish life but i have to draw the line here, no way am i taking the role of an SJW.
hawk

Post by hawk »

I don't see the appeal of something like this when there is a very popular and free multiplayer version thats been available for nearly thirty years. And in that one you can play the troll.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

I always wondered what the point to material like this game is. Why is it important to point out that two groups of idealists argue on the internet, and that their arguments usually have logical faults or grotesque amounts of pretentiousness? Why is it important to say, "Hey, guys, look at these people go at it?" After thinking about it, I realized that games like this are just neutral-toned attempts to cash in on the buzz without sacrificing their own personal reputation by taking a side.

This game just exists to profit from a hashtag war.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote:I always wondered what the point to material like this game is. Why is it important to point out that two groups of idealists argue on the internet, and that their arguments usually have logical faults or grotesque amounts of pretentiousness? Why is it important to say, "Hey, guys, look at these people go at it?" After thinking about it, I realized that games like this are just neutral-toned attempts to cash in on the buzz without sacrificing their own personal reputation by taking a side.

This game just exists to profit from a hashtag war.
I have zero opinion on this particular game (30 seconds of the vid was enough "yeah...whatever" for me), and have no idea if that's really the case here, but in general terms I think satire aimed at pointing out the ludicrous nature of both sides of a conflict, and thus the conflict itself, is some of the most effective around. I also think a lack of visible bias is a central ingredient for that kind of thing to work.

Hey, at the very least maybe it could be considered an educational piece to remind people that "if you're getting into crazy arguments online, good chance the other party is just having a good time fucking with you" :)
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

FlowerChild wrote:
Hey, at the very least maybe it could be considered an educational piece to remind people that "if you're getting into crazy arguments online, good chance the other party is just having a good time fucking with you" :)
I could see this working as satire if the message wasn't already an apparent staple of internet culture, and if the game wasn't 8 dollars. Eight bucks is asking a lot from a game with no depth aimed at pointing out a flaw in our culture everyone is already aware of, and tired of.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote: I could see this working as satire if the message wasn't already an apparent staple of internet culture, and if the game wasn't 8 dollars. Eight bucks is asking a lot from a game with no depth aimed at pointing out a flaw in our culture everyone is already aware of, and tired of.
From this and our other conversations recently, I suspect you may be prone to sweeping generalization and hyperbole in a fashion that would threaten to escalate our conversations into something this game is trying to parody :P

"Everyone"..."Everything"..."Ah! We're all gonna die!"... :)

No need to flip out about the little things man. Yes, it's likely a crap game that couldn't hold my interest for 30 seconds of video, never mind entice me to purchase it. Oh well. Crap games are always about in abundance, although this one gains some distinction (at least enough to warrant a little discussion here) for having an amusing underlying concept. I sincerely doubt anyone here would recommend purchasing it.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

FlowerChild wrote:
From this and our other conversations recently, I suspect you may be prone to sweeping generalization and hyperbole in a fashion that would threaten to escalate our conversations into something this game is trying to parody :P
Hyperbole is the only way to go. Anything worth doing is worth doing all the way! :p