Egoraptor OoT Review

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Egoraptor OoT Review

Post by jorgebonafe »

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
EpicAaron

Re: Egoraptor OoT Review

Post by EpicAaron »

I'm really loving this video!

With Nintendo games it is incredibly hard to find any kind of critical analysis of their mechanics because they are so heavily rooted in everyone's childhoods. I feel like Nintendo has been able to get away with diminishing the gameplay experiences of their games because of this.

Nobody likes to think that such generation altering titles could ever change, but (just like our good friend Vanilla Minecraft) nothing is safe from deterioration.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I never played the first Zelda or A Link to the Past when they first came out, but I did play Link's Awakening and absolutely loved it. I actually remember it with a lot more fondness than I do Ocarina of Time.

Having said that I think there is a lot of nitpicking going on in this vid, the yelling and frustration making minor issues seem a lot bigger than they actually are. OOT isn't the perfect game, but it's certainly not a pile of unplayable rubbish either.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

I always have to stay out of Zelda arguments, I have very unpopular opinions. :)
Spoiler
Show
Zelda 2 is my favorite game in the series...
A lot of what Egoraptor says in this video resonates with me, though. I don't agree with everything, but it does help me realize why OoT never really caught my interest like some other games in the series did.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Gears

Post by Gears »

I still don't understand Zelda II being a bad game. I thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Way better than the other sequels on the platform at the time (Simon's curse and Mario 2... *shudder*)

As for OoT, I agree that there was too much waiting in the combat, and as a result the shit got tedious as fuck. Also, I don't get why he's complaining about Skyward Sword. It was actually really fun, and it improved the whole issue with bombs in the 3D games.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

The other videos in his Sequelitis series are good as well. His Megaman & Megaman X video, gushy as it is, presents some pretty good examples of antepieces (think "teaching through level design") for those not familiar with the concept. Also, his Super Castlevania 4 video is a quick watch and shares a kind of sentiment that I think many of us here can relate to (when the developers don't appear to have considered the impact of a new feature on an already-existing system).
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The link above to tvtropes (as is the very nature of tv tropes) made me jump to a series of other interesting related links, until I came across this one.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/04/its-th ... -colossus/

I never played Shadow of The Colossus, so I was very impressed with the gameplay... Like the writer said in this article, the way the player can interact with the enemies is really genious, and the fact that interactions like this are not used in games today, specially with all the moderns technology capable of doing what SoTC did and so much more these days, is really sad.

Also, another quote that made me laugh... "And we need storytellers to leave our industry forever."
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

jorgebonafe wrote:Also, another quote that made me laugh... "And we need storytellers to leave our industry forever."
There is a response to that quote in the comments that I think is very relevant, by MiZu. I completely agree with their sentiment: It's not that games need to not have story, it's that games need to not have the kind of story that movies and books have.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games; it would be weaker without the story, however. The story adds to the gameplay, rather than interrupting or detracting from it.

I'd put forth Better Than Wolves as another example - it is a game that very much has a story. But it is not the kind of story you could tell with a movie or a book or any other kind of media.

Also: This thread resulted in me buying A Link Between Worlds, and I am very thankful for that. It is without a doubt the best Zelda game I have ever played, even displacing my childhood nostalgia for Zelda II.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Panda

Post by Panda »

Oracle of the seasons was my favorite. By far
Never say no to Panda.