KSP .24 Feedback

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

KSP .24 Feedback

Post by Taleric »

Yeah even with nixing the ability to save/load it is pretty easing going so far.

I am liking the versatility of the contracts, some with very specific parameters. I was going to do mission reports but it just does not have the daunting feel of BTSM. You can get away with criminal exploits like OP reaction wheels.

I am about to run the tree to see if it is the same throughout if I can avoid this damn World of Tanks lol.

Edit: Gave up... No real change. I guess if you were strapped for mission ideas this would help.
devak

Re: KSP .24 Feedback

Post by devak »

Taleric wrote:Yeah even with nixing the ability to save/load it is pretty easing going so far.

I am liking the versatility of the contracts, some with very specific parameters. I was going to do mission reports but it just does not have the daunting feel of BTSM. You can get away with criminal exploits like OP reaction wheels.

I am about to run the tree to see if it is the same throughout if I can avoid this damn World of Tanks lol.

Edit: Gave up... No real change. I guess if you were strapped for mission ideas this would help.
I find it unacceptably hard. This may seem weird, but i've become too good at building proper rockets. More often that not, i overshoot the speed requirements. Also, WTF with the "activate part" requirement? my first flight, my ship went into space no problem. Then i am asked to test these rocket boosters. I just frikking tested them and they work. 9/10 times my ship just has a completely random part fitted to it that fires for no purpose other than to waste money. Worse, when combined with science i now find contracts that expire in a day, but i still have to buy the parts.

The contract system isn't there to augment what you're already doing, namely building rockets. It's an invitation to build random shit catering to completely arbitrary requirements. Hey i just build a MUCH BETTER rocket than what you asked for. it does miracles. Shut up and give me my rep. No? i went to fast? SCREW YOU.

(as you may infer, yes i am angry that it makes no sense).

I just ran out of funds on my first try, as the only contracts i could do had to do with solid boosters, yet firing a rocket up there to do the test was more expensive than what i got for it. Not to mention that with the absolute crap starting parachute, the kind of machines you have to send up there need to come back in 1 piece. Yet if i put parachutes on my boosters and they make it to the ground, the game says "screw you" and deletes them.

It's just inviting random nonsense, not a more proper spaceship design.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Woah you must have gotten shafted on the mission RNG :(

Yeah I agree the particulars of the missions can be too specific. I kind of took the mindset that the intention is not to nessisarily to use the components in your build but get it to "X" for testing. Kinda like if you brought things up in the shuttle or just a probe payload, it is all just testing the parts.

I saw I had one for activating a jet engine on the Mun. Obviously nothing will happen but getting it there for testing cheaply is an interesting task.

Still no BTSM.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Still no BTSM.
Yeah, and I seem to be rapidly descending into the "I need to rip out a ton of stuff with this vanilla update" thing much quicker with BTSM than I did with BTW :)

Random testing of parts before you have access to them through tree purchases? Gotta go.

Rescue missions of random Kerbals magically spawned in orbit? To the curb.

Science rewards for contracts? Axe axe axe.

The last is definitely the most balance nuking (even trying out a stock career I was getting so much science from contracts I kept forgetting to bring experiments with me), so that's the first on my list to take care of this morning.
devak

Post by devak »

Taleric wrote: Yeah I agree the particulars of the missions can be too specific.
The speed requirement simply makes no sense and is the one i hate most. Especially the upper values.

Taleric wrote: I saw I had one for activating a jet engine on the Mun. Obviously nothing will happen but getting it there for testing cheaply is an interesting task.
I love the goofyness of KSP, and it definitely adds to the atmosphere of the game to have wacky missions. But i already sent a rocket to the moon in a pressurized cabin, in a pressurized suit and everything. Why on earth would they test an engine on at atmosphereless body? I get goofy, but this is just "fur the sake of it".
Taleric wrote: Still no BTSM.
I still can't get over the fact that when i go to space, the mission log doesn't say "the rumors are true! there's no air in space!" and other wacky things FC added.

I just don't get the feeling they have any idea WHY things they do work. Like minecraft. they sort of stumble around in the dark, occasionally hearing cheers as they take a step in a direction. Contracts was something i genuinely was looking forward to. now i have that hangover again.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

just did my first mission without mistake, got 40k by going to space first try. Zero challenge apparent. Career mode is still a tutorial :/
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I am sad because I forgot to turn off the auto updating again. The good news is I got remotivated by this Arrobee guy to harden up and go back to my hellish BTW respawn point so I'm good for the next several months on my FC design fix
Better is the enemy of Good
Rob

Post by Rob »

DaveYanakov wrote:I am sad because I forgot to turn off the auto updating again. The good news is I got remotivated by this Arrobee guy to harden up and go back to my hellish BTW respawn point so I'm good for the next several months on my FC design fix
Such kind words. :-3 Glad to hear my series is positive for someone in the community. :-)
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

I gotta say I got bored almost instantly. Didn't pay any attention to money, because it is abundant and gaining science is even more trivial than previously on vanilla. I gained ~ 100 science from my first flight, taking all the missions and achieving orbit.

Myself, I'm often cheap and like when something is done easily, but guys, this is just beyond measure easy. Apparently Squad is trying to widen its target audience so even babies can fly rockets. I really hope I'm wrong here, cause nowadays most developers are just trying to find any means to gain more money, which is just sad.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hmm... mixed feelings.

Agree money is infinite right now. Particularly since hitting Kerbin at all seems to recover most of the part cost.

I find I'm using the science-yielding contracts as a way to avoid spamming the biome-specific-science-from-orbit, and as a quick "just need twenty more science" top-up. Wonder whether expanding the storyline missions could provide some guidance for the player without screwing up the science yield as much. And, wow, really want a scansat-ish way to turn on live crew reports and just have them write down every biome I fly over (I'll put extra notepads in the Not Snacks cupboard, so they scan store more than one).

Some of the experimental tests would be fun with a mission-specific story (jet engine on the Mun!), but others are just obnoxious (high-speed low-altitude parachutes) or hilariously easy (decoupler while landed? well, there's stage 1 on an unrelated mission). Am currently ignoring requests to test a whole bunch of random parts on the Mun and while splashed down on Kerbin.

Encountered one mission where I actually had to right-click the engine and "Run Test" rather than just activating it (LV-1; might be a bug). If that actually ran a test of the engine at different throttle levels or something it'd be more convincing. And harder, since one doesn't currently need to fuel or expose the engine under test...

Was surprised that orbital rendezvous missions (rescue astronauts) started appearing before "put a satellite in orbit X" missions. Not sure the latter actually exist, which would be disappointing. Will have to reinstall RemoteTech and scratch that itch -- it's not a satellite launch until one lift drops six birds evenly spaced around the orbit :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Ugh! The only crap thing about no saves is the intercept that turns into a flyby because you get impatient with time accelerate... Or worse a landing into a collision... Really need a mode that forces X1 at "X" altitude...

Remote tech 2 is just so good, love the networks and programming out of coms actions. Need contracts to investigate specific sites to incentivise rovers.

They must have done some work on the back end because .24 is running pretty smooth and quick.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Taleric wrote:Ugh! The only crap thing about no saves is the intercept that turns into a flyby because you get impatient with time accelerate... Or worse a landing into a collision... Really need a mode that forces X1 at "X" altitude...
Have you tried Kerbal Alarm Clock? It's only job is to pull you out of time acceleration under conditions you set.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I will give that a look thank you, I knew of it but was uneducated on all the features :)

I am really noticing the science in biomes needs to be reworked just a little for rovers. If vKSP science per biome was split between "sites" obvious in appearance (maybe only after satellite science) unmanned/manned rovers would be a must to grab it all up.

At the moment you can just hop around in a lander for quick biomes. Maybe not the case once larger bodies have biomes.

Being able to grab it all with a viking style lander is loss of potential.

Maybe distinct rocks, surface patches, 5-12 ish spread around. This would just be for samples, temp, seismic, barometric ect. not EVA, crew report ect.