Game Theory: A scientific explanation for creepers

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Puzzled

Game Theory: A scientific explanation for creepers

Post by Puzzled »

(Go to 1:42 to skip the intro)

I know game theory has been on this forum a couple times before and is actually where I first heard of the channel, but this connects so much with BTW (with the exception of nitre) that it needs it's own thread.
magikeh

Re: Game Theory: A scientific explanation for creepers

Post by magikeh »

Heh, til that creepers are pigs that have been mutated by peatmoss.. sorta :P

Bit of backstory, creepers were originally supposed to be pigs, however notch messed up on the modelling and decided to add a creature that resembles what we now know as a creeper.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

I was just about to post this!

Yeah, crazy stuff. I f$#%ing hate peat moss now!
ada221

Post by ada221 »

additionally, for BTW i always liked to think that the niter/saltpeter drop was quite appropriate because of its use as not only an explosive but as a fertilizer to help creeper "spores" to grow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niter
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

I like how this also has an explanation why creepers and other hostile mobs only spawn relatively near the player. I'm not sure if anyone else caught onto that.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

My head canon for creepers is a bit more complex.

Basically, there's a plant ("creeplant") in some universe; when it's ready to reproduce, it grows some seed pods.

The seed pods are mobile and semi-intelligent. When mature, they detach from the original plant and they begin to wander, looking for a suitable spot to reproduce. The creeplant seeds need fresh flesh to reproduce, so the seed pod (the creeper) kills some random animal nearby, spreading its flesh full of creeplant seeds through a wide area, and the cycle continues.

But there's a catch: creeplants are not from the world where we play. The creepers end there due to a dimensional rift in areas with low lighting. But even if it finds suitable flesh and explodes, the plants won't grow, they need a different environment. That's why you won't see creeplants in Minecraft.

And since it isn't from the same world, it won't recognize Minecraft animals as "suitable flesh". It might explode a skeleton or spider who shot it, but as a defense mechanism, not as a reproduction attempt. It needs flesh from its own world... like Steve.
--Who do you think you are, War?
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

chaoticneutral wrote:My head canon for creepers is a bit more complex.
-snip-
Dude, that rocks. I accept!
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

I tend to go by the headcanon that steve is unconsciously the 'god' of the minecraft world, and that monsters in general are manifestations of fears in his subconscious. (Creepers, specifically, being the fear of loosing everything, and it all being for naught.)

Also, that guy is annoying as hell...