The Question Of Multiplayer in RTH

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: The Question Of Multiplayer in RTH

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote: If anything this applies more to BTW than Vanilla, because in BTW, you actually have to accomplish things to get somewhere, vanilla is just like "here you can do dis now"
Yes...but "hero" is the word that I find questionable. BTW Steve doesn't exactly qualify :P
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:Yes...but "hero" is the word that I find questionable. BTW Steve doesn't exactly qualify :P
Ah, gotcha ;)
JiiKoo

Post by JiiKoo »

FlowerChild wrote: Yes...but "hero" is the word that I find questionable. BTW Steve doesn't exactly qualify :P
Hero, villain, aren't both quite similar but simply seen through a different point of view? I could easily see Steve seeing himself as the hero, the good guy. I could just as easily see him knowing full well what he's doing and reveling in it. Honestly, that descent into doing some of the things later on, knowingly or not, is one of the parts of the mod I love the most. How far you're willing to go to achieve your goals. To return to home. That (possible) corruption, depending on how you interpret Steve.

Anyways, that aside, the multiplayer thing. I know I'm just an insignificant voice among others but I'll add my support to simply kicking multiplayer out if it isn't something you really want to have. I don't see the benefit of simply tacking it onto a game, you do have to design with that in mind and as you've pointed out, it adds its own restrictions, design and probably codewise. A good multiplayer game should capitalize on that idea and have it as a core element, at least in my mind, to deliver a truly great experience. A game, like BTW, that flirts with the theme of solitude, trying to make do in a hostile land, benefits from being a single player experience. Playing alone instead of with a group of other people helps reinforce that idea, at least in my mind.

But of course, not knowing anything about RTH yet makes this all just a bunch of theoretical wankery. I do trust you to know what you are doing, so whether you include multiplayer or not I'm sure it's the best of the game you are making.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

JiiKoo wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Yes...but "hero" is the word that I find questionable. BTW Steve doesn't exactly qualify :P
Hero, villain, aren't both quite similar but simply seen through a different point of view? I could easily see Steve seeing himself as the hero, the good guy. I could just as easily see him knowing full well what he's doing and reveling in it. Honestly, that descent into doing some of the things later on, knowingly or not, is one of the parts of the mod I love the most. How far you're willing to go to achieve your goals. To return to home. That (possible) corruption, depending on how you interpret Steve.
I don't think someone who loves his adorable little doggies so much that he fixes up bootsies for them can ever be described as anything less than a blessing from heaven!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote: why the fuck are people pushing for multiplayer in a game they know nothing about? :)
I would think this is something players have come to expect from most games, regardless of wether it works within context of the game.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I see your leaning heavily towards not doing multiplayer, and I support it in hopes of RTH being the first game since final fantasy 9(or any of the old FFs) or Legacy of Kain to have a single player experience I fully enjoyed and never put down till i finished it.

And as to your comment about graphical fidelity, I dont care who thinks it looks like shit I'm sure at least half of this forum and deffinatly most of the older ones can say the game in my spoiler still looks beautiful.....I dont think I need to take that further.
Spoiler
Show
edit:derped the img link
edit2: derped it again, left it as a link
edit3: fixed thanks to a kind soul
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

If the SP is solid, procedurally generated and the gameplay relates well to sharing stories then MP is not needed imo.
It's one of those "modern game" bubble ideas that a game must have MP.

Frankly, i'd rather play a decent game SP then share a shoddy MP one.

Besides, it's one more thing to make it stand out amidst the crowd.

Might be too early, but since it's network related; FC; how would you tackle distribution (subtle DRM question as well i suppose)? Steam/etc or simply digital delivery through site?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K, I think this thread has run its course and is just making gurgling undead noises that compel me to bash it with a blunt object.