Boats and Squids

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pelagi

Boats and Squids

Post by Pelagi »

So I tried to sail across the sea with two fellow mates, this did not go as well as expected, because I guess squids can simply throw you out of the boats. So I'm asking what can I do to help this problem. Is there some how a way to prevent this, or is my only option just trying to avoid them as I see them under the water?
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Boats and Squids

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't go boating at night or during a storm. You should be safe as long as the squid aren't hunting on the surface due to low light conditions.

Well...as long as you don't accidentally fall out of your boat :)
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

Is it possible to make a channel that squids can't spawn in so I can travel at whatever time I please?
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Probably, as squids only spawn in sufficiently large bodies of water. I doubt it's worth the effort though, just use the nether instead.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Pelagi wrote:Is it possible to make a channel that squids can't spawn in so I can travel at whatever time I please?
It's quite possible to line a "sea rail" of glowstone. It's resource intensive, but the high light levels of the glowstone makes sure there will be no squid coming after your buttocks. Plus it looks cool above water. Bit of an end-game undertaking though.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

That is a neat idea, will have to check the light block level to see if material savings would make it more palatable. Bridges are great for rivers but if you had a lake+ the speed can't be matched.

Building it might be a little risky lol.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If you were going to do this, it might be a little cheaper to build single block deep canals or something than to go the glowstone route.

Ultimately though, I think in terms of practicality you'd probably be better off with a minecart network.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

That and I find minecart rail systems to be more fun to build, especially the 8-way (4 tracks in both directions) minecart stations (like youtuber Necremar's station, or Coestar's Station based off of Necremar's tutorials.). Plus the aesthetics that one can do...

But to each, their own.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I somehow suspect that the OP was hoping for some sympathy for his "why can't I go boating whenever I want!" and that's turned into us describing how to build elaborate canal systems :)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:If you were going to do this, it might be a little cheaper to build single block deep canals or something than to go the glowstone route.

Ultimately though, I think in terms of practicality you'd probably be better off with a minecart network.
Now that's a time vs resource choice. I personally prefer railways and glowstone, but aesthetics are what largely push my ideas to results.

If TS is hell bent on making a water based travel system though, the canal idea is probably cheapest, but least aesthetic depending on block use. Then again :roads:
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

FlowerChild wrote:I somehow suspect that the OP was hoping for some sympathy for his "why can't I go boating whenever I want!" and that's turned into us describing how to build elaborate canal systems :)
Honestly, I'd rather go with the rails. Just pretty much curious if it is plausible to go when I please. And I do say, I love the ideas. I'll have to check out the 8 way railroad though, haven't watched coestar for a long time and sounds kinda familiar.
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

@Pelagi just a note, Coe's minecart station is based on the pre- beta 1.6 glitch booster carts, so some variation will be required, but not much.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

As with almost all things in Better than Wolves- with a bit of planning and a good technique you can do just about anything.
Spoiler
Show
Night time over deep water is certain death- regardless of how well prepared you are.
Luckily the ocean isn't all deep water.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

EtherealWrath wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Night time over deep water is certain death- regardless of how well prepared you are.
Luckily the ocean isn't all deep water.
Lilypads?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I've had plenty of good fortune sailing on the open ocean during the day. Not a single squid incident. Rain and night are deadly though, so I just make sure to plan my journey carefully. Usually I stay close to shore and just set up a small base during the night. I've got ideas how I would handle a long distance ocean journey travelling to a new continent, but I've never had a chance to test them in practice since the hats were added.

Boat travel is very efficient, fast and cheap, but it's equally balanced by the hazards now! But all hazards can be mitigated by careful planning, although rainstorms are heck of a wildcard.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: Boat travel is very efficient, fast and cheap, but it's equally balanced by the hazards now! But all hazards can be mitigated by careful planning, although rainstorms are heck of a wildcard.
Well, don't forget the changes I made to rain and storms, which were partly because of this.

First, squid only hunt during the day during *storms*, not just rain. There's a significant difference in the light levels between the two.

With the changes I made, storms also only start after it's been raining for a little while. So, if you're out boating, and it begins to rain, the safe thing to do is to head to shore as soon as possible in case a storm is about to break out. If you decide to stay out on the water when it's raining, that's when you're really gambling.

Because yes, if a full blown storm does break out, and you're out on the water, you're pretty much screwed ;)
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Battlecat wrote: Because yes, if a full blown storm does break out, and you're out on the water, you're pretty much screwed ;)
You're just plan evil you know that FC. But I love it ;)
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, people boating around during lighting storms without any danger always bothered the hell out of me. So I took care of that, not with really real world considerations, but through other means :)
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

FC does have a realistic point here. If you are out in (let's say) the ocean during a thunderstorm, then you're fucked unless you can get to safety, as you are the tallest thing in the water, and lightning is attracted to the closest ground (electrically speaking). So, an easy way to make BTW more dangerous like this is what FC did with hats, and it works amazingly well.
Six

Post by Six »

matty79321 wrote:FC does have a realistic point here. If you are out in (let's say) the ocean during a thunderstorm, then you're fucked unless you can get to safety, as you are the tallest thing in the water, and lightning is attracted to the closest ground (electrically speaking). So, an easy way to make BTW more dangerous like this is what FC did with hats, and it works amazingly well.
About the lightning, http://what-if.xkcd.com/16/
The real danger for storms at sea is more about the waves.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

The real danger about claiming realism is that squids grabbing you out of boats isn't about realism at all.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

Six wrote: The real danger for storms at sea is more about the waves.
Well thanks for crushing my thoughts and dreams...