Better Than Horses v0.3 (BTW v.4-89PHILLIP)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
DNoved1

Better Than Horses v0.3 (BTW v.4-89PHILLIP)

Post by DNoved1 »

I created a separate topic from the other BTH thread because as mentioned in that thread the plan was for it to be a development thread only.

Anyways, BTH release 0.3 is available Snip -Flower

Unfortunately, this version is incompatible with previous versions of BTH. Your worlds should be fine, but any horses you currently have will disappear.
Installation
Show
Installation procedure depends on whether you already have BTH installed and which version.

If you have BTH version 0.22 installed just place BTH 0.3 in the same directory as minecraft.jar and run it as a java program (double click in windows).
If you have BTH version 0.21 or lower installed you will need to obtain a new minecraft.jar and install BTW into it, then run BTH 0.3 as a java program.
If you do not have BTH installed at all, you can just place BTH in the same directory as minecraft.jar and run it as a java program.

If you can not run BTH as a java program for some reason, it can also be run from a terminal. Place BTH in the same directory as minecraft.jar, open a terminal in that directory, and run "java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.bth.install.Install".

Based on the lack of complaints in the old thread I assume no one has had any problems with the new installation procedure, however if you encounter any problems just post below and I'll try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Edit: it appears that under linux and possibly some other operating systems java is unable to rename files. If this occurs, you can run BTH from the command line as detailed above. This should create a new patched file and leave the original minecraft.jar file intact.
Right, totally forgot to actually explain what this is all about.
What this is actually all about explanation
Show
Better Than Horses adds horses to Better Than Wolves. No, not those silly vanilla horses that guffaw at you and come in all the colors of the rainbow, good 'old real(-ish) horses.

Unfortunately, horses are a bit mean. They're a bit territorial as well, so be careful approaching them, and by that I mean don't unless you are well geared. If you watch them around other creatures you'll understand. If you do manage to anger a horse you should know that the player can outrun horses, though it's mostly a matter of endurance. Generally it's a better idea to simply not anger them in the first place.

Anywho, should you manage to successfully capture one of these wild beasts you may find them pretty useful. Given the appropriate gear and preparation, horses can be used to travel in proper style. Horses can also be used to transport a lot of stuff. Details on how to accomplish these things are left to the player to discover.

Better Than Horses also adds a hay block with the same texture as the one added by minecraft in the 1.6 update. It's a remnant from the development phase of Better Than Horses, which I left in so that previous users wouldn't suddenly find it missing when they updated. It's uncraftable however, so only existing hay blocks can be used. I may consider adding a recipe for it in the future, but for now it is there entirely for compatability.
Texture Info
Show
The horse texture is located in bthmodtex/horse.png.
The hay block texture is located in textures/blocks/bthBlockHayBaleTopBottom.png and textures/blocks/bthBlockHayBaleSide.png.

For MC Patcher users who can change textures based on block id and whatnot, the hay block is the same block id as sponge, with a metadata of 1.
Credits
Show
Jecowa - Model
TheChinchilla - Texture
ExpHP - Coding, Model
DNoved1 - Coding

These are the credits as I understand them, if something is incorrect please contact me and I will fix them.
Last edited by DNoved1 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ion

Re: Better Than Horses v0.3 (BTW v.4-89PHILLIP)

Post by ion »

giving it my first go to it
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Hey very cool,
will give it a try when I have time later.

Is there somehow a change log of what you have done? Or is it left to us to discover?

EDIT: thank you :D
not exactly what I was hoping for, but a good solution.
Last edited by Epsilon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Yes, a brief explanation in the OP of the what the add-on does would be very helpful so that we don't have to sift through the Dev thread.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

This is excellent, I know you guys have put a lot of work into this so next time I play I will be sure to give this a try. May I also ask for the ID of the hay block, I will probably change the ID of the one in the deco add on so that there is no duplicate/conflict if I ever get around to finishing that old thing.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

The hay block is block id 19 with a metadata of 1. (aka sponge)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

So, I just tried to install and didn't make it. (Due to a lack of time I didn't try the older version using this install method)

First I want to know if there is an easy way to check whether or not the mod is installed?
Right now I'm in creative looking for horses to spawn. Craft guide didn't show me any new recipes; but I don't know if there are some (?), even so I guess the wheat harvesting thing and resulting items are still in.

First I tried to just run the file with java. I placed it in the same folder as the minecraft.jar. (directory of the minecraft.jar: "...\\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\1.5.2BTH\1.5.2BTH.jar")
Nothing happened. I tried it multiple times by double clicking and right clicking-> open with -> java .

Next I opened the terminal (CMD) in the respective folder and followed your instructions by typing:
[ "__" is just used to represent spaces, as I don't know how to get them dome properly]
java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.bth.install.Install
And got an answer:
BTH installer/uninstaller

usage: [options]

__options:

so next I typed in:
-i
with a strange result: (it's german, so I roughly translate)
The command "-i" is either written wrong or couldn't be found.
So next I tried to combine what I learned already:
java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.bth.install.Install -i
With a different, but not better, result:
Installing BTH into minecraft.jar.
Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: File to install into does not exist.

__at btw.bth.install.Install.install(install.java:181)
__at btw.bth.install.Install.main(Install.java:124)
I tried it several times with no better or different results.
My respective minecraft.jar is named "1.5.2BTH", maybe this is causing problems?

So maybe I'm just to dump to install this, or there is an eventuality I didn't think of, or I really don't know.

Hope this helps you and doesn't make to much trouble to solve.
Thank you
Epsilon
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Is there a way to do a manual install? I'd rather use 7-zip to copy classes into my jar file, just like when I install BTW.
Epsilon wrote: My respective minecraft.jar is named "1.5.2BTH", maybe this is causing problems?
Yeah, that error seems like it has to actually be named "minecraft.jar" for the installer to work.
August West

Post by August West »

Is this SSP only or will it work on LAN and servers as well?

Thank you so much for this!

Just to add on to this a little bit:

I'm on a mac and I am having trouble with both installation methods. It creates the back up files and what not but then claims it can't be run for some reason. I'm quite excited for this add on ... hopefully somebody smarter than me figures it out. :)
Last edited by August West on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

If your minecraft.jar is not named as such you can run java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.btw.install.Install -i nameOfJarHere.

So in epsilon's case it would be java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.bth.install.Install -i 1.5.2BTH.jar

If you want to be sure that it is installed there are a few ways. Firstly, minecraft and BTW keep logs in the minecraft folder, BTW's log is called "BTWLog.txt". If you open this after installing and running minecraft (just running, no need to open your world or anything) it should say a few lines down that Better Than Horses has loaded. Alternatively, if you go into creative mode there you should be able to find a hay block.
VegasGoat wrote:Is there a way to do a manual install? I'd rather use 7-zip to copy classes into my jar file, just like when I install BTW.
No, there is not as BTH makes changes to some of the same files that BTW does.

EDIT: fixed mistake on the path name for installing BTH.
Last edited by DNoved1 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

DNoved1 wrote:If your minecraft.jar is not named as such you can run java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.btw.install.Install -i nameOfJarHere.

So in epsilon's case it would be java -cp BetterThanHorses-0.3.jar btw.bth.install.Install -i 1.5.2BTH.jar
Oh, thx. Now it worked, very clever to put this feature in :)

I just ran some testing on the other things that where in the mod as far as I remember; and to me it appears that the changes to wheat are not in this latest version (I'm not talking about the hay block).
DNoved1 wrote:version pre 0.3:
* Added threshing to wheat. Wheat can now be harvested in two ways: by hand, whereby you will get only seeds, or with a hoe, whereby you will get the stalk. This stalk can then be threshed in the crafting grid with a shovel to produce seeds and straw. Straw can be fed to your horses or can be crafted into hay bales by combining nine of them in a crafting grid. Seeds can also be fed to your horses or can be ground into flour.
Last edited by Epsilon on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Right, threshing has been removed, as it is no longer relevant to the way horses function, and it wasn't encouraging automation or enhanced gameplay on its own.

This is why hay bales are no longer craftable as well, by the way.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

DNoved1 wrote:Right, threshing has been removed, as it is no longer relevant to the way horses function, and it wasn't encouraging automation or enhanced gameplay on its own.

This is why hay bales are no longer craftable as well, by the way.
-.-
I liked that functionality. But maybe I just like things that get way to complex.
August West wrote:Is this SSP only or will it work on LAN and servers as well?
As far as I remember one of the older versions was semi SMP compatible; meaning that it was not exactly meant to be, but it worked ... somehow.

So I guess we all would love to have Horses SMP but we should respect how much more effort it takes to bring something to SMP, and therefore not pressure anything. If DNoved1 gets onto it we will all freak out, otherwise Steve will enjoy his lone rides; oh wait, he has Wolfs, he's not alone ;)
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Better Than Horses will likely work with both Lan and SMP, however I am not entirely sure on that. I'll check later tonight and update this post with the results.

EDIT: It definitely works on a server, though I'm not sure about Lan, though I don't really see any reason why it would not work.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

I tried installing this into my better than wolves jar (using windows) and it wouldn't work by double clicking the jar. Tried the cmd way as well, but there was a no class found error. I'm running this on a folder on my desktop (to avoid hassle with vMC saves), maybe that's the problem?

edit: actual error is "could not find or load main class ___"
edit 2: tried in default minecraft folder, still no luck :/
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

matty79321 wrote:I tried installing this into my better than wolves jar (using windows) and it wouldn't work by double clicking the jar. Tried the cmd way as well, but there was a no class found error. I'm running this on a folder on my desktop (to avoid hassle with vMC saves), maybe that's the problem?

edit: actual error is "could not find or load main class ___"
edit 2: tried in default minecraft folder, still no luck :/
Not to be the party pooper, have you tried following the installation instructions? It tells you exactly how to install it and where.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Gilberreke wrote:Not to be the party pooper, have you tried following the installation instructions? It tells you exactly how to install it and where.
Yes, I have. That's why I ask if I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: I derped, I forgot I needed to use cd in cmd to get to the file.
Edit: now to figure out how to get a horse to like me...
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

matty79321 wrote:Edit: now to figure out how to get a horse to like me...
Give it chocolate, roses and serenade it in the light of the moon?
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

I recommend a soothing bath in boiling hot water.

Horses love boiling water. Just like in animal farm.
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

i created a profile just for this thread

ive followed this project for a while but this releases' taming and breaking mechanic has me baffled. i tried corralling the horse and weaning his aversion but it's been much longer than i thought. i can't seem to figure it out, im wondering if anyone has. was the dig about boxer from animal farm going to the glue factory a subtile hint or a joke? cuz i've threatened the horse waving glue at him and he just sat with a smug look on his face and rammed me again.

i know were supposed to figure this out on our own, but can you point us in the right direction please?
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Glue
Show

* May not actually be possible to do.
With regards to taming and lowering a horse's aversion, perhaps consider that instead of them adapting to you you ought to adapt to them. Horses are awfully sensitive creatures you know, and ramming you is just their attempt at giving you a nice big hug :)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

So can I get this straight, the purpose of the horses here are

1. Transport (significant speed?)
2. Storage
3. Companionship
4. Aesthetics

Just trying to decide if they're worth hiking onto my current world.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

well this is what i tried. I tried to adapt :)

I drank a regeneration potion and wore plate armor and allowed my hoofed friend to do his worst. He hugged me over and over again until my chestplate was almost worn down. He slowed a bit, but other than that, nothing. I tried slapping a saddle on his back and it didn't work. I also tried feeding him while he was tired. Seems they'll eat EVERY item i try off the ground, including glue ( hmmmm )

so that's where i'm at with this. you really made this a brain buster.
Six

Post by Six »

karnak sam wrote:well this is what i tried. I tried to adapt :)

I drank a regeneration potion and wore plate armor and allowed my hoofed friend to do his worst. He hugged me over and over again until my chestplate was almost worn down. He slowed a bit, but other than that, nothing. I tried slapping a saddle on his back and it didn't work. I also tried feeding him while he was tired. Seems they'll eat EVERY item i try off the ground, including glue ( hmmmm )

so that's where i'm at with this. you really made this a brain buster.
I've not tried any of this myself, but perhaps have you tried 'hugging' one back?
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

I hugged him with a battle axe. i should try with my fists...