Enderman trap redux

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Kalbuck

Enderman trap redux

Post by Kalbuck »

So there have been a few threads here on Enderman mob traps in the End. I've scoured all of these. I've also looked at Docm77's fantastic mob trap video on Youtube, and it's given me a general idea of what I want to do. The ideal setup seems to be the same drop mechanic, but with the compact and cheap pressure plate and piston setup that one of the members posted in a previous thread. Where I'm still fuzzy on details is the kill mechanic. A long drop with piston pushers that move the drops into a water stream was suggested and that sounds like the best way to do it for me. What I'm fuzzy on is exactly how that would look. My other mob trap is a simple saw trap, so it was simpler for me to set up. Rather than necro one of those old threads, I thought I would ask here if anyone has had any breakthroughs on simplicity and efficiency in their Enderman traps, and if they could post their builds here.
Taleric

Re: Enderman trap redux

Post by Taleric »

I have always done the dropper over 128 blocks from anything else. Works great for pearls and stone, scrolls are a little sparse. Think I need to water drop and build as low as possible.

With the water or saw I would think teleportation would be and issue.

Are you after a specific drop?
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

I really just care about the exp and the scroll drops. Even then, exp isn't that big a deal. Stone would be a bonus. A saw isn no good for an Endy trap, of course. The water would only be to move items after death. The drop would be the kill method.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Yeah scrolls have always been an issue with for me aswell. My next planned build is to go low 128 out; find the one hit kill height, use vines to sync all spawn areas above that level.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

I have an enderman trap here.

If you look at the section titled drop collection you can see how I managed the piston pushers.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

One of the reasons a drop kill is the most highly regarded is because it kills the mobs fast and therefore the mob spawn limit is being recycled (lowered) faster than when using a different kill method. A water flow into a wall of saws is completely feasible, however an enderman will try to teleport WITHIN 64 (i think, need source) blocks from their current position. If there are no possible teleports then the enderman will stay put. So if you were to create a wall o saws you would need to be sure that there are no teleportable spaces (they will teleport into water on occasion) within said limit. But yeah, generally it's much more simple to just have the endermen drop dead, then have some way to collect the drops without interfering with the falling endermen.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Are you guys cheating or is there a way to actually get water into the end that I don't know about?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:Are you guys cheating or is there a way to actually get water into the end that I don't know about?
Place a bucket ftw. Water works differently in the end.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:
Place a bucket ftw. Water works differently in the end.
*needs to pay more attention
ion

Post by ion »

more that 48 block and they drop dead. my way of getting the drops was to have 2 pistons gates that open and close. the enderman always got the hard surface to rest in peace but the drops eventually got into the water system down.
@taleric why do you need vines? drop them from any high.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm curious as to why you do not drop them directly into hoppers actually.. You can have 2 rows of hoppers, one with soulsand to get the exp, and one with normal hoppers, have the endermen drop in the first row, and periodically push items with pistons in the second row.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

@all I understand that drops are the best way to kill them, not saws.

DNoved1: Very nice trap. I had to study it but I see now how it works. How is the efficiency/speed? Do you get a lot of scroll drops that way? And do items get caught on the iron panes?

MoRmEnGiL: I'm not sure what you mean :o
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

ion wrote: @taleric why do you need vines? drop them from any high.
Oh that is to skip a step, prior to a recent XP FC addition. If you set the endermen to 1 hit kill then vine the drops above that to match they are all synced for mass collection. Now it would prob be just as easy to rig a periodic flow for dragon orb processing/collection.
ion

Post by ion »

Taleric wrote:
ion wrote: @taleric why do you need vines? drop them from any high.
Oh that is to skip a step, prior to a recent XP FC addition. If you set the endermen to 1 hit kill then vine the drops above that to match they are all synced for mass collection. Now it would prob be just as easy to rig a periodic flow for dragon orb processing/collection.
vines are needed in vanilla as there aren't dragon orbs but in btw you never needed that kind of trap because enderman like any other mob stop spawning more when they are about 70 -80 in your loaded chunks ( spawners follow different rules) so you only wasted drops doing that as exp isn't really much for 70 enderman kill
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

@ion, what kind of timer did you have the piston gates hooked up to, btw?
ion

Post by ion »

a rotating turntable set to lowest speed with one redstone torch on it. one row activated and after half turn the other gate activated when the above gate is closed
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

In my first enderman farm, I used water as my kill device. If you cover every possible area in either a two block high area or with water, the endermen can not teleport out of the water stream.

I had made a trap similar to docm77's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbn3-_6so0 , skip to the end and you can see what I mean about covering everything with water.

This allowed me to use a stream of water for the enderman to land in when pushed off the ledge by the piston, as well as carry away pearls, orbs and endstone into hoppers. It does take a while for them to die though, so it's likely not the most efficient farm, but it seemed to work well enough for me.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

You could also set the trap up so that the endermen fall onto a line of glass panes/metal bars. the vast majority of pearls/exp will fall down the sides into a collection stream, and due to the endermen dying instantly they'll spawn fast enough that small losses won't matter.

It's also probably the only really efficient way to set up an enderman farm before you can mass-produce pistons, since iirc vine traps work fine.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

ion wrote:a rotating turntable set to lowest speed with one redstone torch on it. one row activated and after half turn the other gate activated when the above gate is closed
I thought this idea was intriguing and sounded neat so I tried to make this in a test world, but the top and bottom gates are never quite synced. Turntable is on setting 1. Should the pistons be on opposite sides or the same one? Redstone wiring is something I'm really not good at..
ion

Post by ion »

they don't need to be synced. my approach was to have the gates most of the times closed so enderman drop on the hard surface. then when the above gates opens the lower one is closed. let one block gap between them. redstone is just some wire dust placed nothing really fancy. there are other methods easier, mine is a bit pricey as you need some more pistons but i like it that way