Leviathan (Biomes O' Plenty) Better Than Solo [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Pfilson

Re: Leviathan (Biomes O' Plenty) Better Than Solo [BTW 4..89

Post by Pfilson »

FlowerChild wrote: I don't want to let anyone get their hopes up there man. It should be expected that I will not authorize such a thing.
Sorry FC, my intention was to put more emphasis on the mod needing a fair amount of balance work to fit with BTW, even if you allowed it and that until BTW is finalized there isn't much point in even bringing up mods.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Pfilson wrote: Sorry FC, my intention was to put more emphasis on the mod needing a fair amount of balance work to fit with BTW, even if you allowed it and that until BTW is finalized there isn't much point in even bringing up mods.
Nah, it's cool man, I just thought it about time for a statement on this.

Like a few other episodes in BTW's history, I actually regret jumping on board in supporting BoP in the first place, as I know when it got nixed a lot of people's worlds got messed up in the process. This server thread is a constant reminder of that mistake for me.

Biome balance has become rather central to BTW the past few months and the idea that a bunch more biomes can just be thrown in for aesthetic variety without messing things up really should have raised red flags for me right from the get go.

Really, for me to support such a project in the future, I'd need to be confident that whomever was in charge had such a thorough understanding of that balance that they'd be able to maintain or expand upon it with each additional biome and it wouldn't wind up in this kind of world destruction again. To me, that would not only require a rather unique individual, it would also require starting from scratch, not attempting to just artificially jam balance on a large number of existing biomes like would be the case if BoP were continued as a BTW add-on.

Anyways, suffice it to say I don't rule out the possibility of some kind of biome add-on in the future, but I sincerely doubt it will ever be BoP based. This kind of thing is of concern to me with all add-ons, but particularly so with biome ones as I know what a large number of people tend to immediately jump on them out of a desire for greater aesthetic variety.
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

Heyyyyy

So I have a house and a decent computer once again. It'd be nice to pop into Ivalice once in a while, and probably even better to start over here. I'd like the biomes too...I want biomes, but honestly I can't play survival minecraft without BTW anymore, so BTW wins me in the divorce.

Since I was on Ivalice (it was called Ivalice?), I should have been initially whitelisted, buuuttt... I don't have BTW 4.8912. And the download link is private now. Might someone send it to me pretty please?
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

think you can use a new version just fine, its the opposite that doesnt work. least iwas able to play just fine when i forgot to change to my leviathan profile :)
Rawr :D
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

Oh really. I'm gonna try it.

Cool. It works. Thank you much.
Now to navigate this world. Wish there was a map lol.
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

I have claimed a Volcano that I believe is two days travel east by northeast of spawn. Volcano biome! Holy shit. Thing is gonna be a bitch to cultivate but so damn cool.

I should be set up by the time players start drifting back, if the inactivity is indeed a cycle.
horstdog

Post by horstdog »

There is a volcano not to far from my base which is 2 days East\South East of spawn. Maybe the same one? Let me know if you need anything.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Hello everyone,

I've made the decision to shut down Leviathan and Ivalice maps permanently.

I've lost interest in BTW over the last few months, and user logins were on a steady decrease even when I was playing, they are almost non existent now. Since Andre has no time to work on compiling his additions into BTW, I've no desire to really upgrade to newer revisions of BTW anyway. I've received no PM's either so I assume people have moved on/lost interest as well. BoP being banned really sealed the deal with Leviathan anyway, and I apologize wasting everyone's time on that.

I had a lot of fun starting these servers. It was great to have such a large community around to play with and learn from. I've hosted a few bukkit servers over the years but this by far was the best community I've ever had. I really was a pleasure to login and talk with you all every day.

For those who want to have a copy of the world to keep forever, I've uploaded the last map backup for everyone (warning: These map files are huge (2.0GB - 2.5GB):

Leviathan Map

For those who want to keep in contact, you can always PM me here, but I do not check this often. My other methods of contact are:

AIM: wvwjoewvw
Google Hangouts: jonei011@gmail.com
Steam: lifewater