Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gilberreke »

Aren't we getting carried away? They're adding a new stone block. It's not "ripped off" from TFC. It's not a big deal. Granite is one of the most well-known rock types out there.

It's not even a bad feature, it's a non-feature. Vanilla has been adding stuff to worldgen since forever without regard for player worlds.

It's a bit silly so short after the other worldgen features, but a big whatever to it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Gilberreke wrote:Aren't we getting carried away? They're adding a new stone block. It's not "ripped off" from TFC. It's not a big deal. Granite is one of the most well-known rock types out there.

It's not even a bad feature, it's a non-feature. Vanilla has been adding stuff to worldgen since forever without regard for player worlds.

It's a bit silly so short after the other worldgen features, but a big whatever to it.
"Stop stealing my brain waves !"
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gormador wrote:"Stop stealing my brain waves !"
Our periods are completely in sync
ion

Post by ion »

me wants teh granite! joke apart first terrain overhaul , next moar terrain overhaul
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, admittedly I'm even beginning to find the Mojang hate to be getting out of control here guys.

Half this stuff isn't even worth commenting on let alone freaking out over.

Chill a bit please.
erikdk321 wrote:I saw that, and complained over it at the reddit (which is a complete waste of time because they dont listen). It really annoys me how unorriginal they are, horses were from Mo Creatures, biomes from Biomes O Plenty and this from TFC.
Funny thing is that i would say atleast a third of the people at the reddit dont like it, but Mojang are just ignoring them completely like it was a few ignorant idiots.
...and Erik...as I recently said in my warning to you about another post in another thread: think more, post less.

I'd say that applies to this thread in particular.
devak

Post by devak »

Yea im not sure why they didn't just slap it in with the 1.7 worldgen, but on the other hand, they're very consistent with how they handle things and at this point, there's nothing they can really do to surprise me anymore.

While they're at it, they might as well pull a "flower update" and throw in some more stone types.
GreenComet

Post by GreenComet »

Gilberreke wrote:Aren't we getting carried away? They're adding a new stone block. It's not "ripped off" from TFC. It's not a big deal. Granite is one of the most well-known rock types out there.
The "smooth granite" texture with beveled edges from the second image made me suspect borrowing - it looks very similar to TFC smoothed stone, and vanilla stone doesn't have an equivalent (except for the removed double slab variant). But FC's right, it's probably not worth worrying about. My apologies.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, admittedly I'm even beginning to find the Mojang hate to be getting out of control here guys.

Half this stuff isn't even worth commenting on let alone freaking out over.

Chill a bit please.
To quote what a great man once told me a few pages back:
FlowerChild wrote:If you don't like people complaining, don't read the thread man. Whining about what you view as people whining isn't constructive.
This post is purely from a place of love. Rock on FC. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote:This post is purely from a place of love. Rock on FC. ;)
Yeah, it's all good man, but things have escalated slightly since then.

Also: let me and Sar do the moderating. Users bitching at other users about stuff just causes more chaos, it doesn't resolve anything.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, it's all good man, but things have escalated slightly since then.

Also: let me and Sar do the moderating. Users bitching at other users about stuff just causes more chaos, it doesn't resolve anything.
Totally Understand. I just got a little annoyed back than. Won't happen again. I'm surprised how much self control belonging to this forum has given me. How many times I thought, "What would FC Ban?", and ultimately kept my mouth shut. Lol.

The current turn of events just made me giggle a little. So I felt compelled to share the laughter.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: The current turn of events just made me giggle a little. So I felt compelled to share the laughter.
Oh, I certainly see the humor in it man given you just mentioned something similar a couple of weeks ago. Things have kinda...escalated since then though, and the criticisms have been coming about increasingly trivial additions, and in more intense formats.

New solid stone block...ok, ten minutes of coding and a new 16x16 texture is such a trivial non-feature that I hardly think it warrants comment, let alone a page or so of back and forth bitching about it.

Also, the "rip off" thing, in addition to being rather out there for something so trivial, makes absolutely zero sense too considering that all mod content belongs to Mojang by default, and it's always been that way. They could shut down or basically take ownership of BTW any time they wanted to, and I knew that the day I started modding MC a couple of years ago. Would I appreciate it if they gave some credit if they used an idea from BTW (ahem) in vanilla? Yes, I would of course consider that the polite thing to do, and really, a minimum courtesy considering how much work I've put into this stuff, but I'd never scream "rip off" about it.

So yeah, it really has gotten to be a bit much, and I suspect some are just bandwagoning here because they think "all the cool kids" on the forums criticize Mojang or something. People doing stuff primarily to fit in is not something I'm a fan of, and is something that causes me to generally lose respect for people. You may have noticed I tend to be a bit of a rebel about things, so conformity is not exactly my jag ;)

I'm certainly not a fan of a lot of Mojang's decisions, and have been very vocal about that in the past, but at least I hope I bring valid arguments to the table with that in each case, and if anything, in the context of who I am and what I'm doing, the last thing I think I'm doing is just jumping on a hate-train to be part of a crowd. Making those statements has probably caused me far more trouble than anything else, and certainly hasn't made me popular amongst other modders or the MC community at large.

Anyways, overall, I don't mind if people hate on Mojang's decisions here. In fact, I like these forums being a "safe zone" in some ways for doing precisely that when such opinions can't be easily expressed elsewhere without getting swamped by fanboy bullshit in response. Hence why I don't like it when users tell users to quit it or tone it down, as it's a little too reminiscent of say what happens when somebody makes a well reasoned objection to wolves as a new feature over on MCF :)

HOWEVER, I would hope that such criticism would at least make some sense and not be a form of fanboyism in themselves. The point at which I feel people are just waving their dicks around about just about anything in a "aren't I cool?" manner is the point where I think it's really gone too far.
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

It looks like they are considering stratification which I guess is interesting Dinnerbone has been doing a Q&A on reddit as I'm sure many of you may already know. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ?context=3
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

FlowerChild wrote:~quote~
Off topic: It took me a bit of time to realize where this post was heading, but after doing a slight amount of digging (rarely use social media nowadays), I now (for the most part) understand.

Back OT:
Noshery wrote:It looks like they are considering stratification which I guess is interesting Dinnerbone has been doing a Q&A on reddit as I'm sure many of you may already know. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ?context=3
You mean that the Mesa biome was not the stratification that they originally wanted?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Noshery wrote:It looks like they are considering stratification which I guess is interesting
Oh wow, that IS interesting. Underground biomes actually sounds like a feature I'd be glad to have in vanilla :)

Unless we're talking stratification in a BTW way, which would obviously be fun too. Maybe I even prefer that one, as they'd have less chance to cock it up.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Maybe I even prefer that one, as they'd have less chance to cock it up.
Famous last words ;)

I'd be willing to put money on them not integrating the concept of requiring different tools to dig at different levels "because people would complain too much". Without that, you're basically just talking aesthetic stone variants which sounds much more like modern Mojang to me.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Spoiler
Show
Tweeted by Jeb_: "Last screenshot of the year, a bouncy block that wasn't possible before @TheMogMiner's transparency render fix."
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I saw that earlier too, a bouncy block could be kinda cool but i could see it sorta make things like stairs and ladders useless pretty fast, guess we'll see.
Im honestly not surprised they implemented it, a big part of the community (the youtubers anyway) have been suggesting this for a very long time, so it had to come some day.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I like how they are adding all this aesthetic stuff. But why haven't they coded sponges to spawn in oceans yet? The block has been there, untouched, for years. lol I only bring it up, because the bouncy block looks like it uses the sponge art, tinted green and made transparent.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Hmm, that might be true, didnt think of that. But yeah, i always wondered what happened to the sponges, they had some potentional for sure. They might have dropped the block due to the water mechanics in vanilla though.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

erikdk321 wrote:Hmm, that might be true, didnt think of that. But yeah, i always wondered what happened to the sponges, they had some potentional for sure. They might have dropped the block due to the water mechanics in vanilla though.
Way back before the community took over Minecraft:
Notch wrote:Sponges will NOT work like this once finite water is implemented. They’re a temporary hack to let people clean up flooding.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/126715731/ ... lass-looks
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

erikdk321 wrote:I saw that earlier too, a bouncy block could be kinda cool but i could see it sorta make things like stairs and ladders useless pretty fast, guess we'll see.
Im honestly not surprised they implemented it, a big part of the community (the youtubers anyway) have been suggesting this for a very long time, so it had to come some day.

how high could you bounce off slime any way?
hopefully only 2 or 3 blocks from jumping on it, if mobs could use it ladders and stairs would certainly still be important.

part of me wants a portal style "speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out" system for bounce height(jump off a high ledge to bounce higher) could be some great parkour fun there.

as for the sponge thing, unless they implement finite water which is unlikely (not out of laziness or anything minecraft's water is part of it 'charm' so to speak now.) it would be terrible.
I have used sponges in various mods/plugins, they all have the major problem of leaving ugly air pockets as destroying the sponge obviously won't update 2 or 3 blocks away for water to refill it, I could see it in survival being for the most part a way to grief homes and oceans more than a useful utility item.
it's a nice idea but it ends up feeling broken and is just annoying.
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
Eramus_the_5th

Post by Eramus_the_5th »

That comment by Notch was from 2009; so, by "finite water" I think he meant the system we have now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, VERY early versions of MC had self-replicating water, which makes the current system qualify as finite by comparison. You can find old videos of entire rivers filling in when a damn is removed and that kind of thing.

Obviously, that wasn't a particularly good idea for an SMP environment given the number of block changes it would involve. Removing a damn like that is basically a good way to bring a server to its knees with the old system.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Truly finite water would be amazing if computers could handle it though... Maybe someday...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Sarudak wrote:Truly finite water would be amazing if computers could handle it though... Maybe someday...
Well, there used to be a mod that did a rather satisfactory job of it and I've seen some proof of concepts for voxel games that do it. It's certainly in the realm of the possible to do it, right now.

Not sure if it qualifies as "truly finite" as there's usually some sort of trickery going on, but you can push it pretty far beyond what MC does easily. Question is if it's worth it. I like the MC system because its quirks are easily understandable and provide a fun meta.

Example: