Custom Map for BTW - Seeking Input

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rianaru

Re: Custom Map for BTW - Seeking Input

Post by Rianaru »

I just thought of this, but it might be interesting to see if you could design access to certain resources(mineshafts and stuff like that) around abandoned villages, and then maybe add little bits of lore to the area, like give villages names, leave books around describing stuff that's in each village and roughly how to get there(could be done to many different levels of complexity here). I think it'd be pretty neat to see a sort of scenario map for BTW :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

The first time i heard of abondoned villagers i actually thought abadoned mineshafts spawned underneath them for some reason.
Mud

Post by Mud »

A cool idea, but again. I'm not touching subterranean generation; this includes Mineshafts.
Mud

Post by Mud »

So Worldpainter doesn't give me the ability to designate Witch Hut spawning locations, what are your guys thoughts on making corrupting an NPC Village the ONLY way to acquire Witch's Wart on this map?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Witches spawn in any swamp in BTW.
Version 4.8912:

-Added the ability for witches to spawn in swamps. They will spawn in darkness around and above sea level in swamp biomes and this replaces their witch hut spawns, making swamps slightly more dangerous overall. On generation of witch huts, witches will spawn in their general vicinity once and once only, and these hut witches will not despawn, which means that when you first find a hut, it will almost always have witches nearby, and thus be dangerous. This was done as the spawn conditions on witches were extremely gamey and resulted in rather cheezy traps. Also, many players were never even seeing witches, so this is intended to make them a more integrated and interesting part of the game overall.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Awesome, that issue's solved then.

In other news, I've begun sketching out the biome flow for this map. As mentioned before, spawn will be rather temperate and the furthest edges of the map will be harsh and extreme, but I'm also taking humidity and elevation into account along with temperature.

Then plan is to keep sketching this week and hopefully get started laying out the land masses in WorldPainter this weekend.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

While witch spawn is not a problem, you should keep in mind that witch huts are the only way to obtain a brewing stand.
Mud

Post by Mud »

There will be a few, don't worry ;]
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Need help testing the map pre-release? I wouldn't mind putting in some time to try it out and let you know if anything needs tweaking.
Mud

Post by Mud »

definitely like the idea of a beta testing before general release. I'll put you at the top of the list if/when we get to that point.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Pen-and-paper sketch of the map is finished and the rough shape of the landmasses has been established. Tomorrow begins the Worldpainter work!

Thanks for your input guys!
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I cant wait :)