Nether portal [SPOILERS]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Allmoz

Nether portal [SPOILERS]

Post by Allmoz »

Hello.

After about a week playing this mod I finally reached the point where I finally managed to have a renowable food supply that produces more food than I can possibly consume based on chickens, mushrooms, cocoa and some cows. I also managed to reach lava levels and thanks to a tip I read on the forum about using shovels to remove dirt and gravel to expose more rock (thank you iron shovel carrying zombies) I managed to make a full set of diamond tools. Thanks to my new tools I finally managed to collect enough materials to finish building my house, secure the perimeter and claim a small lake near my house using walls. I already have a windmill, saw and a hopper to help me make some arrows.

I guess the next step is creating a nether portal to get some nether materials and try to find a village, however I read something about nether portals corrupting your animals and I'm scared shitless about having to actually build one since I don't want all my animals to go evil and do weird shit. I know I should't build it next to my house, so I'm thinkning about building the damn thing at the bottom of my mine near the lava where it belongs.

My question is, how do I prevent the portal from corrupting my animals? What do I need to be aware of? Any tips?All my animals are in a barn, so I guess if one of them gets infected all of them get infected and that would really suck.

Thanks in advance.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Nether portal

Post by Sarudak »

Well the feature to which you refer is named hardcore nothing to worry about. Given that I think you're worrying entirely too much about this.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Go figure.
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

As long as you have a building separate from your barn for a portal you should be fine in most cases.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

There's no need for crazy extremes, just keep the portal a ways away.

EDIT: minor revision
Last edited by dawnraider on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

dawnraider wrote:There's no need for crazy extremes, just keep the portal a little bit away from your animals (the corruption range is fairly short).
Cause you know. Better sorry than safe now that all animals in a reasonable walking distance are likely dead.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, you do have a point. I edited my post to reflect that.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Dale

Post by Dale »

""my question is, how do I prevent the portal from corrupting my animals?""
Spoiler
Show
The nether is hell, souls go to hell when they are bad, bootsies keep your animals happy thus keeping them from being bad. Nothing to worry about..
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
Allmoz

Post by Allmoz »

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up placing the damn thing far away from all my buildings, deep underground at the bottom of my mine near the lava just in case. With some careful lava redirection and some netherrack blocks here and there it looks like a proper entrance to hell now.

So far my animals remain healty, I hope they stay that way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It appears people are getting way too quick to ask for spoilers instead of actually...you know...experiencing gameplay.

Look up the relevant spoiler thread if you're that desperate to ruin it for yourself.