Surviving early game surrounded by jungle

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
woeuntoyou

Surviving early game surrounded by jungle

Post by woeuntoyou »

So I spawned in a relatively small mountain biome surrounded by jungle on one side and the ocean on the other. It's beautiful and I'd like to stay in it, but it lacks renewable very-early game food. Usually, I would rush to craft a hoe and plant pumpkins to feed chickens, but there's no pumpkin in sight. Getting wood is another problem. The jungle is really dangerous, so I can't collect much wood from it. I have about 20 oak saplings planted, but they grow really slow. Any tips for my situation?
erikdk321

Re: Surviving early game surrounded by jungle

Post by erikdk321 »

Pro Tip: Get out of that place as quickly as possible and dont ever look back.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Get. The. Fuck. Outta. There.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Is that really all I could do? Either die from squids or die from jungle spiders? I guess I could go back mid game to build there...
Dale

Post by Dale »

woeuntoyou wrote:So I spawned in a relatively small mountain biome surrounded by jungle on one side and the ocean on the other. It's beautiful and I'd like to stay in it, but it lacks renewable very-early game food. Usually, I would rush to craft a hoe and plant pumpkins to feed chickens, but there's no pumpkin in sight. Getting wood is another problem. The jungle is really dangerous, so I can't collect much wood from it. I have about 20 oak saplings planted, but they grow really slow. Any tips for my situation?
IF this is spawn, promptly leave. The reason being you can find it later with a compass and settle it. Early game is about surviving not finding a "pretty" place to live.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Ok gonna try to cross the ocean. Wish me luck.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I'd suggest fishing off the side of a mountain for food. That is, unless you make it to a new area.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

I found a forest just across the ocean not so far from spawn. I might settle there or just find pumpkins, collect some wood, and go back to spawn. Either way, it'll be interesting. Right now though, I'm waiting out a thunderstorm in a hole surrounded by mobs.
Last edited by woeuntoyou on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

If you're settling a ways away from spawn you better make a mental note on getting back there unless you plan on rushing an iron beacon without dying :D
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

I might just build a bridge across the ocean. It's not that far.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Use the nether man
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

erikdk321 wrote:Use the nether man
Really? "Early game" and your suggestion is the nether?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
kingcharlesiii

Post by kingcharlesiii »

I suggest to travel far across the ocean. It's dangerous, but you can cover a lot of distance quickly, possibly finding a village
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Its much better to use nether to find villages in my opinion
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I had a spawn like that in one of my worlds. What I found worked best was carving up the walls to create ledged walk ways all over the place. In addition I did a large number of dirt bridges. Ground level was suicide.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

erikdk321 wrote:Its much better to use nether to find villages in my opinion
He just wants to survive early game man, why are you suggesting he find villages.
ion

Post by ion »

i just reroll until i have the desired biome. now the best is a plains biome with a forest one nearby. jungle is a forbidden zone for me and apart for the 4 saplings for trees i didn't put a step inside that biome
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Dorugami wrote:
erikdk321 wrote:Its much better to use nether to find villages in my opinion
He just wants to survive early game man, why are you suggesting he find villages.
Actually, it's not all that difficult to go out of the HC spawning range using a boat, since the oceans in MC are often massive and extend well beyond it. I've done it once before. Since you'll be moving often, food isn't that big a deal as you can hunt while on land and fish while waiting out the hatpocalypse. (huts can be made so hats can't attack you but you can still fish)

And once you find a village, you now have access to insanely powerful, renewable food. All you have to do then is be careful not to die while caving for iron.

The only major drawback to this strategy is the fact that, unless you know EXACTLY how to get back to the village from spawn and/or landmarked the way on the way over, it'll basically be impossible to find the village again if you die. Unless you can survive long enough to make a nether tunnel to spawn, or an iron beacon. (Or if you've REALLY got skills, a SFS beacon)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abculatter_2 wrote: The only major drawback to this strategy is the fact that
And that it's a big waste of time in the early game when you don't in any way need to do this, and when it becomes much easier later on.

I spent months telling people that villages were in no way necessary in the early game before that sank in. Please stop countering that with this kind of poor advice for new players.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

abculatter_2 wrote:-snip-)
Dude...read: Early Game. If you've never played BTW before that's a valid assumption, but Villages are mid-game content. BTW already gives a ton of functionality to utilizing early game resources to prolong food supply like milk, fish, and omelets. And besides, the original dilemma was geographical, not culinary.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah i would wait a little to find villages, i find it challenging but fun to survive on eggs and milk so i ussually wait until wheat is nessecary.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

erikdk321 wrote:wait until wheat is nessecary.
Which is like, what? End-game content? Like 60 hours into the mod? Even then it's not necessary... In fact, I don't think wheat becomes necessary at any point in BTW. It becomes a convenience, sure, but ham and eggs are really good already, as a food source and you don't need wheat for ham & eggs.

On Better With Friends, one of the only reasons we got weed is so we could breed sheep for pretty colors.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I should have been more clear, i find wheat nessecary at the point i wanna breed cows for leather or when i wanna make an auto breeder etc. You are right though, you dont *need* it, but its a very nice thing to have.